Jump to content
Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Recommended Posts

It starts ace and gets even better. Quintero is wonderfully evil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Better Call Saul is maybe the most perfectly paced TV series I think I've ever watched, It unfolds so beautifully.

It's utterly cinematic. No frame is a tossed out over-over-two shot.And the sultry, unpatronizing way it unfolds is mesmering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 3 episodes into the latest series. It's one of those shows where I forget just how good it is until I watch another episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Call Saul is one of those shows that is so understated in everything it does that sometimes the realization of how brilliant it is almost sneaks up on you. Far superior to Breaking Bad and pretty much everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm 3 episodes into the latest series. It's one of those shows where I forget just how good it is until I watch another episode.

That's quite true. Before this season started I thought to myself that I didn't think I'd watched the last one, looked it up on Netflix to realise that I not only watched it, but loved it. I'd somehow forgotten in the meantime. Enjoying it a lot this series, but I miss Michael McKean and I want him back in more flashbacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been rewatching Early Doors over the past few days, with just the final three episodes of series two left.

I know it's been talked about plenty on this board but series one really is a work of genius and was better than I remembered (and I already thought highly of it).  I feel there is a noticeable drop off in series two (although it's still better than most comedies); it's as though they tried to make the characters more extreme and as a result they become less believable, so Eddie and Joan go from simple folk to outright dummies, Phil and Nige from a pair of skivers doing the bare minimum to flat out caricatures.  Mel and Liam (James McAvoy) are a better couple than Mel and Dean (Lee Ingleby, replacing McAvoy who didn't return for the second series as he was filming Shameless), Janice (Maxine Peake), while only a minor character, is missed (see James McAvoy) and I'm not caring for Duffy who is constantly on a downer.  More Tanya and Debbie is a plus that the second series has over the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depressed Duffy gives me some of my favourite bits. His obsession with Miss You Nights and the revelation that he's eating Frey Bentos every night just like Tommy does. 

 

God I love Tommy. Especially the lollypop man gag. 

 

One is better than two though, agreed. One of the first series of a sitcom from these shores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I've been rewatching Early Doors over the past few days, with just the final three episodes of series two left.

I know it's been talked about plenty on this board but series one really is a work of genius and was better than I remembered (and I already thought highly of it).  I feel there is a noticeable drop off in series two (although it's still better than most comedies); it's as though they tried to make the characters more extreme and as a result they become less believable, so Eddie and Joan go from simple folk to outright dummies, Phil and Nige from a pair of skivers doing the bare minimum to flat out caricatures.  Mel and Liam (James McAvoy) are a better couple than Mel and Dean (Lee Ingleby, replacing McAvoy who didn't return for the second series as he was filming Shameless), Janice (Maxine Peake), while only a minor character, is missed (see James McAvoy) and I'm not caring for Duffy who is constantly on a downer.  More Tanya and Debbie is a plus that the second series has over the first.

 

33 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Depressed Duffy gives me some of my favourite bits. His obsession with Miss You Nights and the revelation that he's eating Frey Bentos every night just like Tommy does. 

 

God I love Tommy. Especially the lollypop man gag. 

 

One is better than two though, agreed. One of the first series of a sitcom from these shores. 

Agree with both. I think the second series, they've put more in to telling the ongoing stories of Ken and Tanya and Mel and her Dad and they lose something from the characters who do become a bit one dimensional. Dean is probably the only character I don't really like in the show, he's a massive step down from Liam. Duffy is still great in the second series though.

Favourite moment in the show is probably when they give Eddie and Joan the money to pay the phone bill. Proper lumpy throat stuff with great, great acting.

I do love Tommy's monologue about food too and TV too.

"That pillock from Sainsbury's was on again, he's never off him, cooking another pan full of shite that only his mates will eat. And then I flicked over to the other side and there were a bunch of nobodies sitting in a house and we're expected to watch them eat, sleep and shit and then as soon as they say anything interesting they put a load of bird noises on. I tell ya, I don't know what the world's coming to."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love a good monologue. I think for all the laughs and the pratfalls and broken chandeliers, my favourite bit of Only Fools And Horses is either Grandad's "heroes fit for homes" monologue about the first world war or Delboy's brilliant "How could you get over it so easily?" in the Grandad's funeral episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I love a good monologue. I think for all the laughs and the pratfalls and broken chandeliers, my favourite bit of Only Fools And Horses is either Grandad's "heroes fit for homes" monologue about the first world war or Delboy's brilliant "How could you get over it so easily?" in the Grandad's funeral episode.

I rewatched the Shelter episode on Netflix recently and I'd forgot just how brilliant Grandad is during that speech. Surprisingly they also left in the paki shop joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Better Call Saul is one of those shows that is so understated in everything it does that sometimes the realization of how brilliant it is almost sneaks up on you. Far superior to Breaking Bad and pretty much everything else.

I mentioned something along those lines (perhaps in this thread a long while back), but how the two shows are made by the same people and created in the same world as each other amazes me, because I too echo those sentiments.

Breaking Bad was perhaps the first TV Series that the current 'box set' watching crowd got into, hence it being talked of as 'best programme ever'. In truth, Breaking Bad is an average TV show. Nothing that merits anywhere near the same level that BCS gets to. BB is all over the place with pacing, story and strong characters. It goes without saying that the best thing about BB was Saul Goodman, and to a lesser extent Mike. I'll have to stop myself there because I feel like I'm gonna go on a BB rant.

All we need to know is, Better Call Saul is absolute top quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...