Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

I can see that is possibly a problem. As I said, only seen the 1st episode and one of the specials, but it's harder to do things wrong then right which is why I admire the talent. 

Was the first episode the Christmas special or 'The Pilot'?  I forget how they've been numbering them.

I won't go into too much detail in case you haven't seen it yet, but in 'The Pilot' there is this scene involving Nancy Zamit and Charlie Russell which I thought was bordering on genius and the timing was to the nth to pull it off.  Top level stuff right there.

Just now, Magnum Milano said:

Was the first episode the Christmas special or 'The Pilot'?  I forget how they've been numbering them.

I won't go into too much detail in case you haven't seen it yet, but in 'The Pilot' there is this scene involving Nancy Zamit and Charlie Russell which I thought was bordering on genius and the timing was to the nth to pull it off.  Top level stuff right there.

The first was the Christmas episode. So i'll look out

I'm enjoying Goes Wrong Show far more than I expected for it's timeslot. Good to have a show you can watch with kids that is actually funny too. We watched The Lodge this evening and following through with the kitchen gag was great.

Just now, Uncle Zeb said:

Outside of iPlayer, does it have a repeat?

nope

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

it's harder to do things wrong then right 

Assuming we learn from our mistakes, it’s more natural doing things wrong then right, rather than the other way round.

I watched Good Omens over the weekend, and while it was an ok 6-episodes/6-hours I thought it was also underwhelming and quite disappointing. David Tennant and Michael Sheen are pretty good in the lead roles of the demon and angel, and there are a lot of recognisable faces and voices in the others roles (given varying amounts of screen time), but I just did not find that either the characters or the story were interesting enough.

Thanks for the tip on the Goes Wrong Show, going to watch that on iPlayer tonight. We saw The Play That Goes Wrong while in London last year and had a great time. We also saw Comedy About A Bank Robbery, which was really enjoyable too

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I saw Peter Pan Goes Wrong in the West End when we got some free tickets, I really enjoyed it despite going in worried it was going to be cack. I watched a live recording on the BBC of the same show (different night obvs) a couple of years ago and it was bloody awful. Something about being in the room cast a spell on me, the massive performances made sense. In my living room though... had to turn it off. 

1 hour ago, DJM said:

I watched Good Omens over the weekend, and while it was an ok 6-episodes/6-hours I thought it was also underwhelming and quite disappointing. David Tennant and Michael Sheen are pretty good in the lead roles of the demon and angel, and there are a lot of recognisable faces and voices in the others roles (given varying amounts of screen time), but I just did not find that either the characters or the story were interesting enough.

That's something I find with Gaiman's translations to TV - the characters are brilliant and the world building expansive and interesting but subtle, but his whimsy keeps undercutting any sense of peril or urgency so things kind of tick along with a couple of bursts then everyone calms down and has a jolly British talky finish. Aside from the radio version of Neverwhere with James McAvoy sounding gorgeous throughout and incredible sound design (obvs), I found all the adaptations a bit underwhelming. Maybe his dream like stories work better in the imagination at the reader's pace. It's why I'm wary of adaptations of the Sandman - I've no doubt it'll be stunning and brilliantly played, but the lack of stereotypical climax feels like it might end feeling flat.

Speaking of shit translations to TV... what the fuck is this? 

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2020/01/first-look-photos-bbc-americas-the-watch-starring-richard-dormer

And I thought Pratchett adaptations were bad. Maybe this is the answer? Stop trying to make Lord of the Rings, make some odd Cyberpunk Doctor Who adventure? 

Angua and Carrott:

TW_100_IK_0930_5753-RT.jpg

Edited by Onyx2