Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Yeah, I wasn't a massive fan of Claes Bang's performance either. He was decent at times, other times he veered dangerously close to David Walliams camp.

8 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, I wasn't a massive fan of Claes Bang's performance either. He was decent at times, other times he veered dangerously close to David Walliams camp.

He wouldn't be my first choice simply as I don't see Dracula as working man Londonerish. However I don't know that it was necessarily him that was the weak spot but more what he was given. Writing him a constant stream of one liners and quips constantly undermined any tension or suspense.

There's a neat little documentary on the history of Dracula on iPlayer to accompany the series. The show itself I'm a thumbs in the middle tilting slightly up guy but the doc made me gagging to watch the Blu-ray that's been sat on my shelf for years of Hammer's original.

I didn't watch it but I caught the first 10 minutes and the fly in the eye was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on television.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm in the minority but I hated the first episode within the first ten minutes. I enjoyed it even less (and less) as it went on so I haven't bothered with 2 or 3.

Nearly everyone I've talked to or seen online hated it too. I heard there was an Inside No 9 reference and fuck that, Moffat needs to keep that infinitely better name out of his mouth.

I heard there was an Inside No 9 reference and fuck that, Moffat needs to keep that infinitely better name out of his mouth.

Its a little nod from Gatiss to his mates. I think he did something similar in a Sherlock.

Most people seem to just hate the 3rd episode. Without spoiling it, the setting  for the first 2 was infinitely better than the 3rd.

7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Finished Witcher last night. It's not amazing but it's very watchable. Flew by, was entertaining, scratched the 'fantasy' itch, and Henry Cavil is brilliant.

Did you get that "Toss a coin to your Witcher" song stuck in your head? It's been going round in mine since before Christmas.

1 minute ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Did you get that "Toss a coin to your Witcher" song stuck in your head? It's been going round in mine since before Christmas.

Endlessly. It even plagued my dreams one night, when I listened to it on YouTube before bed because I couldn't get it off my mind.

(And obviously now it's back again, since you mentioned it)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

My biggest gripe with The Witcher was

The overly convoluted timelines running alongside each other until they all converge. When the reveal of that hits half way through it was more a shrug of the shoulders than a nod of appreciation.

Other than that I want more Cavill battling scary monsters next series.

I thought the first two episodes of Dracula were alright. Moffatt & Gatiss tried to throw in a few "insider references" to Clara Oswald and Sherlock, there was what I presume was the Inside Number 9 reference in the second episode, then it all completely fell to pieces in the third part. It was like watching the first two parts of Bram Stoker's Dracula, but then somebody's taped over the last third with the end of Dracula 2000.

4 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I saw him as Tommy Cooper and that ruined all of his aura immediately. 

19 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I saw him as Tommy Cooper and that ruined all of his aura immediately. 

Just like that? 

I also just finished The Witcher last night, I think @Chest Rockwell (Chest knows best) summed it up perfectly- very enjoyable but didn't blow me away like GoT did. But that's fine, the first series really just set the story. Really looking forward to the next series now. 

Cavill nailed it with his portrayal of Geralt. The voice was perfect, especially his little grunts. 

But yeah, the timeline hopping- right pain in the arse. I had to go on Wiki after each episode to clarify a few things. Nobody should need to do that shit.

There's a timeline doing the rounds that I'll obviously spoiler tag:

IMG_20200107_215530.thumb.jpg.7622b555d96c69933f947db23169130b.jpg

'Toss a Coin To Your Witcher' is a banger and Yenn is bloody gorgeous 😍

Edited by PunkStep

The timeline thing is exactly how the early books went too, it's something that didn't translate well at all.

does anyone watch Ray Donovan ? absolutely brilliant TV show, that seems to fall under the radar 

Edited by DarloKid