Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

I know it gets a lot of hate around here but I’m a big Gavin and Stacey fan and thought the special was really good. I was glad they didn’t take the obvious route of having kids that were all little shits. I’d gladly take series 4.

As a big fan of the musical talents of Michael Bolton and Neil Diamond I'm not sure I have any cool points to lose but I'll second that Gavin and Stacey love. I don't know how I don't hate Smithy because it's basically James Corden turned up a few notches but for some reason I find the character so endearing whilst hating myself for it. Fuck it, give me another series you shit.

Never watched The Detectorists, which I know is tantamount to blasphemy on here, but Gummidge has been good enough to make me interested. 

I knew that there'd be fucking bellends kicking off about it though. Probably the same dicks that kicked off about War of the Worlds for featuring, shock, a woman!

You. Ok, well technically I was playing Football Manager and my good lady was watching this but I'll be fucked if I wasn't gripped by the end. Basically it's about a psycho stalker and the lady he constructs a relationship with.

Imagine a cross between Gossip Girl and Dexter but even shitter. The stalker is the most likeable character and I'll admit wanting him too off people who don't really deserve it just because they're annoying. It's pretty terrible. It's got that CW sheen and style, no gratuity or grit and the acting is awful. 

I can't in good faith recommend anyone watches it. It's not so much it's so bad its good but more like it's so bad it's bad but you have to see what mad shit they do next.

All that being said i'll be back with the season 2 impressions in about a week.

Edited by Mr_Danger

On 12/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, BrodyGraham said:

Never watched The Detectorists, which I know is tantamount to blasphemy on here

I'm jealous. You've got that joy to come. You bastard.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm jealous. You've got that joy to come. You bastard.

I immediately watched 4 episodes on the bounce, loved it but had to contend with my wife who was apparently bored shitless. I go through fits and start where I either want to watch everything or nothing and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to forget about it whilst I'm trying to catch up with other stuff.

But, yeah an absolute joy and breeze to watch. Between this and Gummidge I've got a new appreciation for Crook.

Did anybody get around to watching Dracula? Much like Sherlock, it starts incredibly then eventually Moffat and Gatiss overwrite everything until it disappears up its own arse. Really disappointing 3rd episode. First two are worth a watch, though.

Messiah on Netflix is good if you miss Homeland. Nowhere near as good mind.

Finished Witcher last night. It's not amazing but it's very watchable. Flew by, was entertaining, scratched the 'fantasy' itch, and Henry Cavil is brilliant.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

No idea why I hadn’t watched Stath Let’s Flats before but I’m glad I have now. 

An utter joy from first to last episode. Jamie and Natasia Demetriou Are annoyingly talented siblings.

id anybody get around to watching Dracula? Much like Sherlock, it starts incredibly then eventually Moffat and Gatiss overwrite everything until it disappears up its own arse. Really disappointing 3rd episode. First two are worth a watch, though

First two are really entertaining with two great central performances. But you are correct, much like a lot of Moff's stuff, it just goes shit at the end. He must be one of the most frustrating writers for me. If you ever want someone to write a tremendous first episode / one off, he's your man.

I'm in the minority but I hated the first episode within the first ten minutes. I enjoyed it even less (and less) as it went on so I haven't bothered with 2 or 3.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I watched a bit and it looks shite. BBC Drama in the last 5 years has this problem where everything feels extremely lifeless and false, and I can't put my finger on why. I'm sure a lot of it is budget, but it's really off-putting. 

Edited by gmoney

I've watched parts 1&2 and they both really struggled to hook me for the first 45 minutes. They did get me into them after that but it really felt like hard work and I love Hammer so I should be in the bag for it. Also Dracula just isn't scary in it. He's closer to Leslie Nielsen than Christopher Lee. Van Helsing is pretty damn entertaining though.