What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

What is it? Never heard of it - comedy, drama? BBC? 

Dark Comedy Drama about a Hitman. It's 8 30 min episodes on NowTV/Sky Atlantic/HBO.

EDIT - The Fonz is in it and he won an Emmy for it as did Bill Hader.

I can't recommend it enough and it seems criminally under seen.

Edited by DEF

15 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Just finished the final episode of Fleabag. I'll be honest, I cried. Phoebe Waller Bridge is so bloody talented, she's well on her way to becoming a bona fide great in television. I only recently found out she's the creator and writer of Killing Eve too, which is on my list of things to watch. Thank fuck she didn't become the new Dr Who.

Killing Eve is fantastic. My favourite show last year. Plenty of time to watch before season 2 because even though it's started in America we're not getting it til end of May at the earliest 

1 hour ago, DEF said:

Dark Comedy Drama about a Hitman. It's 8 30 min episodes on NowTV/Sky Atlantic/HBO.

EDIT - The Fonz is in it and he won an Emmy for it as did Bill Hader.

I can't recommend it enough and it seems criminally under seen.

I’ll second Barry, it’s a shame that so few people seem to be aware it even exists. 

What do you mean by drama comedy? Is it actually a comedy, or is it just a drama that isn't completely po faced? There's too meant things that get described it categorised as comedies that just aren't.

Its a drama but there are comedic moments. I know this comparison may be a bit odd, but its like how The Sopranos balanced both. Its a tremendous show. Bill Hader is phenomenal.

On Killing Eve, isn't season 2 written by someone else? Or have I made that up?

36 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What do you mean by drama comedy? Is it actually a comedy, or is it just a drama that isn't completely po faced? There's too meant things that get described it categorised as comedies that just aren't.

Reviewers tend to describe it as a ‘Dark Comedy’ but I don’t particularly like that description as it isn’t overly accurate. It’s more of a drama that’s often funny. Episodes are only around half-an-hour long so they breeze by. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'd say it leans into the comedy pretty hard so Its about 50/50. A Dark Comedy Drama.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Its a drama but there are comedic moments. I know this comparison may be a bit odd, but its like how The Sopranos balanced both. Its a tremendous show. Bill Hader is phenomenal.

On Killing Eve, isn't season 2 written by someone else? Or have I made that up?

Only about half the first series was written by PWB but she was ‘showrunner’ as it were. But, yeah, Emerald Fennell is head writer for series 2 and Suzanne Heathcote will be showrunner for series 3. 

Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Line of Duty series 4 was decent. Pales in comparison to the epic finale of series 3 which had some really great telly and not in a 'it's good for a British tv show' way. Particular highlights were Hastings being extra shouty, Arnott getting called Ironside and him out of the office ripping Kate's weak interrogation skills.

Jimmy Lakewell (Patrick Baladi) telling Hastings to "dial down the Ian Paisley" is a particular favourite line from that Series.

There's a new show that's started on BBC called Don't Forget The Driver. Written by and staring Toby Jones as a coach driver.

"Dark comedy set in sunny seaside Bognor Regis." 

Watched the first episode and found it pretty funny and I'd recommend it. All 6 are up on the iPlayer.

Edited by wordsfromlee