What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

He's trying to be a commercial, more accessible Gaspar Noe, and disappearing up his own japs eye in the process. Shocking carry on out of him, these days.

William Baldwin seems to be a name I've seen pop up more often than I'd like these days. The Purge TV Show, Northern Rescue, Too Old to Die Young, and I only saw a trailer for Backdraft 2 last night because the missus shoved her phone in my face telling me that we're going to see it in the flicks. Told her that wasn't happening for more reasons than the fact I don't want to...

• Paid Members

I think the plaudits that he got for Drive - with it being such a 'cool' looking and sounding movie - was the catalyst for him going balls deep with a neon colour palette base on every subsequent flick he made.

Was the Pusher remake any use? It's on my hard drive, but I've never got past the opening credits...

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Was the Pusher remake any use? It's on my hard drive, but I've never got past the opening credits...

I never bothered with it. Pusher 3 is his best film though, absolutely loved it.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I think the plaudits that he got for Drive - with it being such a 'cool' looking and sounding movie - was the catalyst for him going balls deep with a neon colour palette base on every subsequent flick he made.

This. I think it's pretty obvious that when directors get crazy critical acclaim for something they lean into it. Auteur theory has a lot to answer for.

We're on to series 3 of Line of Duty and the missus just came out with this pearler "It's all about dodgy cops this isn't it," I mean she's not wrong like. Series 2 was some good shit but Arnott is no Mcnulty is he. He had one line where he used the term "triple 9" instead of 999. Dork.

• Paid Members

Just finished the final episode of Fleabag. I'll be honest, I cried. Phoebe Waller Bridge is so bloody talented, she's well on her way to becoming a bona fide great in television. I only recently found out she's the creator and writer of Killing Eve too, which is on my list of things to watch. Thank fuck she didn't become the new Dr Who.

Edited by PunkStep

2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Just finished the final episode of Fleabag. I'll be honest, I cried. Phoebe Waller Bridge is so bloody talented, she's well on her way to becoming a bona fide great television. I only recently found out she's the creator and writer of Killing Eve too, which is on my list of things to watch. Thank fuck she didn't become the new Dr Who.

Echoed. Recently watched Crashing all the way through and that’s pretty great too. She’s so lovely. 

• Paid Members

I'm intrigued by Killing Eve after watching Fleabag. The way they're paced never feels like you've been sat there for half an hour. They just fly by. 

• Paid Members

Barry is back for season 2. The first episode was strong still. I've just rewatched season 1 and i urge everyone to seek it out. Still just as great as the first time round.

Line of Duty series 4 was decent. Pales in comparison to the epic finale of series 3 which had some really great telly and not in a 'it's good for a British tv show' way. Particular highlights were Hastings being extra shouty, Arnott getting called Ironside and him out of the office ripping Kate's weak interrogation skills.

• Awards Moderator
11 hours ago, DEF said:

Barry is back for season 2. The first episode was strong still. I've just rewatched season 1 and i urge everyone to seek it out. Still just as great as the first time round.

What is it? Never heard of it - comedy, drama? BBC?