What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I've just read that James corden will be stepping down as the host of a league of their own..... he's finally given the middle finger too the uk to go be a big deal in the states. 

Britain's loss is America's loss.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Good Omens, it was always as much Gaiman as it was Pratchett, so not reliant on wordplay in quite the same way that Discworld is. Gaiman being as heavily involved as he has been is a good sign, too, as he's shown with American Gods that he's not scared of telling the studio to fuck off if he doesn't like the direction they're taking. Between TV and radio adaptations, versions of his work have been vastly superior since he got in on the ground floor of them. He's not the same Neil Gaiman that had to pretend to be pleased with Neverwhere.

Good Omens inherently lends itself to TV better than Discworld does, because there's less need for explanation, and the world is less open to interpretation. Magical realism is easier than hard fantasy, as far as not looking absolute guff is concerned. 

33 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Britain's loss is America's loss.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Good Omens, it was always as much Gaiman as it was Pratchett, so not reliant on wordplay in quite the same way that Discworld is. Gaiman being as heavily involved as he has been is a good sign, too, as he's shown with American Gods that he's not scared of telling the studio to fuck off if he doesn't like the direction they're taking. Between TV and radio adaptations, versions of his work have been vastly superior since he got in on the ground floor of them. He's not the same Neil Gaiman that had to pretend to be pleased with Neverwhere.

Good Omens inherently lends itself to TV better than Discworld does, because there's less need for explanation, and the world is less open to interpretation. Magical realism is easier than hard fantasy, as far as not looking absolute guff is concerned. 

What's the story there? I've heard season 2 is drastically different and nauseatingly dull.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

What's the story there? I've heard season 2 is drastically different and nauseatingly dull.

I've enjoyed season 2 so far - it's a little more prosaic, but with that means the jarring changes of pace in season 1 (following up an intense cliffhanger with a slow, meandering episode on backstory we already know, for example) are a thing of the past. I could do without yet another slow motion extreme close-up of the inner workings of machinery, or a flipping coin, or a burning cigarette, but that was true halfway through season 1 too.

My point was around the pre-production of the first series, though - it was originally supposed to be with HBO, but when they couldn't settle on a script, Gaiman fucked them off to take it to Starz rather than letting HBO make all the changes they wanted. 

Gaiman isn't massively involved in American Gods. He's more consultant. On GOOD OMENS he's the showrunner and writer in this.

The thing with Pratchett, is just like Douglas Adams, the main character in all the books IS them. Its the author. So straight adaptations don't work. You have to just infuse the show/film with the spirit of the work rather than being faithful.

Still Game had its final episode last night. Last few series since they came back have Been a bit lacking, but went out on a lovely ending that I haven’t seen any grief on social media about. Quite glad really, for all its given to Scottish pop culture it deserved to go out on a high

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members

I've quite enjoyed the two seasons since they got back together. I was worried after seeing their first Hydro comeback show, as it was proper shite, but the past two seasons have done a good job.

The closing of the final episode was beautiful. 

Edited by ColinBollocks

I'm with everyone on the second series of Fleabag. Just phenomenal writing. It's properly stepped up a few more levels from the first. 

My girlfriend had never seen it so I re-watched the first series with her and went straight into the second and there's a noticeable difference between the two. The first is very silly. The pathetic ex-boyfriend, Jamie Demetriou and his stupid front teeth etc. But the second takes a really dark and serious tone but yet still hilarious.

Did anyone here ever see the one-woman stage show version of it? It was supposed to be great and I'd love to see how it works.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm with everyone on the second series of Fleabag. Just phenomenal writing. It's properly stepped up a few more levels from the first. 

My girlfriend had never seen it so I re-watched the first series with her and went straight into the second and there's a noticeable difference between the two. The first is very silly. The pathetic ex-boyfriend, Jamie Demetriou and his stupid front teeth etc. But the second takes a really dark and serious tone but yet still hilarious.

Did anyone here ever see the one-woman stage show version of it? It was supposed to be great and I'd love to see how it works.

I saw it at the Fringe a couple of years ago - it wasn't PWB doing it, but I think the woman who played the waitress in episode 1 was Fleabag in the one we saw. It's just her sitting on a chair centre stage. A lot of what you see in series one features as stories in the show, but just told by her, and the to-camera bits are to-audience. It's very good.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, Factotum said:

Early Doors was great. They are doing, or have done, a stage show version of it (which can totally work)

Third series now would work wonderfully.

went to see the stage show at Leeds Arena, it was terrific - it had a number of the original cast, and the replacements weren't too bad. it was a new story and was genuinely funny. really good stuff. thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd love a third series.

Just hopped on the Line of Duty bandwagon. Lenny James, as shit as he is actually plays the smug arrogant wanker role pretty well. I've heard there's a fairly steep upward curve after the first series which will be welcome as I have enjoyed the first series so far but it's a bit pound shop season one of The Wire at times.

There's also a couple of coppers on the beat that pop up every episode with terrible dialogue that's goes like, "Hey young upstart copper don't do that, oh great we've gotta do loads of paper work now!" I half expect the chap out of Don't be a menace to South central whilst drinking your juice in the hood to appear and yell "Message!" 

• Paid Members
On 3/29/2019 at 12:47 PM, Louch said:

Still Game had its final episode last night. Last few series since they came back have Been a bit lacking, but went out on a lovely ending that I haven’t seen any grief on social media about. Quite glad really, for all its given to Scottish pop culture it deserved to go out on a high

On 3/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, ColinBollocks said:

I've quite enjoyed the two seasons since they got back together. I was worried after seeing their first Hydro comeback show, as it was proper shite, but the past two seasons have done a good job.

The closing of the final episode was beautiful. 

Completely agree that the ending was a very good way to go out. I've not really enjoyed the last couple of series after the first comeback episode. This probably resonates a bit with complaints on-topic on this board but I just don't think it looks right. It doesn't suit HD at all and Isa, Winston and Shugg have never looked right. The new characters are mostly shite and there haven't been any interesting stories that didn't feel like a retread. It's one of my all-time favourites so I'm glad they've put the bullet in it now rather than watch it decline.

Early Doors absolutely shouldn't come back. I say that as someone who loves it and re-watches it often. I went to and loved the stage show but it worked because it called back to the episodes and characters and tied up some loose ends. It was a nice bit of nostalgia but leave it be. I dread it becoming another Royle Family.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Just hopped on the Line of Duty bandwagon. Lenny James, as shit as he is actually plays the smug arrogant wanker role pretty well. I've heard there's a fairly steep upward curve after the first series which will be welcome as I have enjoyed the first series so far but it's a bit pound shop season one of The Wire at times.

There's also a couple of coppers on the beat that pop up every episode with terrible dialogue that's goes like, "Hey young upstart copper don't do that, oh great we've gotta do loads of paper work now!" I half expect the chap out of Don't be a menace to South central whilst drinking your juice in the hood to appear and yell "Message!" 

It certainly does. Season 3 is probably my favourite but they increase considerably after the first run. And thankfully hasn't dipped so far either.

• Paid Members

With Deutschland 86 on telly at the moment, I thought I'd finally get round to watching Deutschland 83.

A few episodes in and I'm really enjoying it, although I think it's going to give me an anxiety attack sooner or later. It's clear Linda is going to end up heartbroken or dead or both or something worse and I don't think I'll be able to cope because she's so nice.

Fuck sake :(

Edited by PunkStep