What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Jack Whitehall was good in Fresh Meat, I couldn't imagine him being able to play any other type of character though.

I hope you are wrong. He is in the upcoming Good Omens on Amazon. That's a book I love and I have high hopes for the series. 

11 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I hope you are wrong. He is in the upcoming Good Omens on Amazon. That's a book I love and I have high hopes for the series. 

Jack lost it for me a while ago tbh he was genuinely funny and for me he justlost it 

Unfortunately, James Corden is only missing the first couple of episodes of the next series of A League of Their Own due to his filming schedule in America or something. He's not stepping down entirely. 

I still don't understand how Jack Whitehall has the career he has. Well, I do - his Dad owns the the talent agency he's signed to - but you know what I mean. He's awful. I don't get how everyone thinks that clip of him pretending to be scared of Mr Blobby is hilarious.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Pratchett has never translated to screen. Not optimistic. 

• Awards Moderator

The trailer didn’t do a lot to convince me but I’ll remain hopeful for Good Omens. I think it’s probably true that he just doesn’t translate to screen but maybe that’s why the Watch series for BBC America is going to be new stories. 

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I really enjoyed Going Postal.

Like most adaptations, good cast, excellent production values, cripplingly awful screenplay, and editing done in the last eight minutes before broadcast. 

@Lion_of_the_Midlands it's not a fantasy thing that creates the problem. It's the esoteric, twisty humour that doesn't work. The project is always taken on by people who think it's Lord of the Rings.

Don't misunderstand me, more than anything I want some onscreen Pratchett that doesn't embarrass me from the inside out and leave me weeping with shame at the gross mishandling of the material. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up like every other translation in the past 30 years. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The mentality is that every episode finish on a big cliffhanger to try and entice you back for the net episode. I can kind of see the mentality behind it. 

I understand the concept of a cliff hanger, but the sudden way the episodes end (credits rapidly scrolling whilst the episode is only just being wrapped up) give me less reason to carry on, but I guess that is what we'll be getting more of now that 'binge culture' is more of a mainstream past time.

"Don't change to something else! Look, the next episode is all ready starting! What now?!"

Edited by Accident Prone

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

"Don't change to something else! Look, the next episode is already starting! What now?!"

This is a feature I like the idea of but hate the execution. 'Great, next episode please!' 

But the way it spills into obscuring credits or crashing the mood by shrinking it to a thumbnail or cluttering the screen with chrome really annoys me. I'm absorbing some great twist or dramatic conclusion and it's desperate to get me on the next thing.

Netflix and iplayer are the worst. Iplayer at least has good config options where you can adjust how aggressive this is. But I finished watching Haunting of Hill House and just taking in the ending, thinking about how it ties up (or doesn't), when Netflix shrinks the credits to a 5mm box and yaps 'now watch this thing about Madeleine McCann! Just the tonic after a ten part spooky thriller! And it starts IN THREE SECONDS!' At least let the music finish. Let me enjoy the afterglow, for fuck's sake. 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

This is a feature I like the idea of but hate the execution. 'Great, next episode please!' 

But the way it spills into obscuring credits or crashing the mood by shrinking it to a thumbnail or cluttering the screen with chrome really annoys me. I'm absorbing some great twist or dramatic conclusion and it's desperate to get me on the next thing.

Netflix and iplayer are the worst. Iplayer at least has good config options where you can adjust how aggressive this is. But I finished watching Haunting of Hill House and just taking in the ending, thinking about how it ties up (or doesn't), when Netflix shrinks the credits to a 5mm box and yaps 'now watch this thing about Madeleine McCann! Just the tonic after a ten part spooky thriller! And it starts IN THREE SECONDS!' At least let the music finish. Let me enjoy the afterglow, for fuck's sake. 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds. 

My sky box is terrible for this at the moment. My lady and I were watching something last night and the little thing came up saying "press back before we foist the next episode upon you", we didn't have time for the next one so pressed back, and there must have been about 2-3 more minutes of stuff we'd have missed if we'd skipped. AND it cut off the recording before the program actually ended. 

• Paid Members

My Sky box went from ep 1 to ep 9 when I was watching Westworld, so not only did I sit there for an hour wondering who all these characters where and why they had made it impenetrable, it also spoiled a load of massive plot points. I never bothered watching it all in the end. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

My Sky box went from ep 1 to ep 9 when I was watching Westworld, so not only did I sit there for an hour wondering who all these characters where and why they had made it impenetrable, it also spoiled a load of massive plot points. I never bothered watching it all in the end. 

Amazon Prime keeps doing that to me while I'm watching Parks & Rec. When one series ends it'll dump me 5 episodes into the next one

@Accident Prone the cliffhangers in the Good Place are deliberately designed to be unnecessarily huge as a parody of the ones in Lost. 

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, gmoney said:

To be honest, I watched all of Westworld and still sat there wondering who all these characters were and why they had made it impenetrable.