What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Other half recently became obsessed with Outlander. 90% of the shows she watches go well over my head and when she initially described the premise to me I really wasn't on board. After begging me to give it a try I promised I'd watch the first episode with her, knowing full well I wasn't going to pay much attention to it and wouldn't be the slightest bit arsed. Time travel to ancient Scotland? Come on. 

...So of course I'm hooked now as well and we've planned an entire Scotland trip around the locations from it in August. For fuck's sake.

I watched that documentary on that Fyre festival yesterday and I thought it was hilarious, such a disaster.

I also enjoyed watching that documentary called Gringo about John McAfee, I assumed it would end with him dead or behind bars but was surprised to see how it ended for him.

• Paid Members

Binge watched the new Arrested Development last night. Really enjoyed it, considerably more than the first half of the series - though some really glaringly obvious dubbing/ADR throughout was distracting as hell.

"You have to uncheck 'presume teeth'", is an all-time great line, and I loved the Cabaret in-joke. 

That they're downplaying the Howard family stuff (which I never really cared for, and felt a bit self-indulgent), and going back to intricate family dynamics and fun wordplay makes it feel far more in line with the first couple of seasons. The only real downside was the Tobias sub-plot, which didn't really go anywhere, wasn't funny, and relied on characters I don't care about.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Binge watched the new Arrested Development last night. Really enjoyed it, considerably more than the first half of the series - though some really glaringly obvious dubbing/ADR throughout was distracting as hell.

This seems to be a on-going trend with American sitcoms lately, as I noticed this a lot with The Good Place (another Netflix show, coincidentally).

• Paid Members

Me and my wife have been watching The Good Place. Everyone was right about it falling off a cliff by the third series weren't they? The 2nd series was ok, but I don't know what the show is supposed to be now we're halfway through the 3rd series. It has lost its purpose without ever having good humour to fall back on. Proper shit now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Good Place isn't a Netflix show, it's NBC. Netflix just have the rights to show it in the UK.

Ah, fair enough then. Maybe rushed deadlines and cheap hack'n'slash editing are to blame for this widespread irritation?  The final minutes of every episode of The Good Place feel clumsy, almost as if the episodes were originally meant to be longer but had to be hastily shortened. 

The second part of Arrested Development is way better than the first half (which picked up in the last episode) Its a shame it has been buried really, and I cannot look at Tambor the same way knowing that, even putting aside the sex abuse accusations, he's an awful prick.

The problem was they just never got everyone back together at the same time. That's what made it brilliant in the old days. Also yeah, fuck that Ron Howard family stuff and ruining Michael as a character