What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I've pretty much avoided anything Ricky Gervais has done for several years. I only ever revisit his early shows and stand up. Through boredom I decided to watch After Life and found myself enjoying it for the most part. It's hammy in parts and a few recycled gags from his early work, but I found it quite endearing. And quite relatable in a way. 

He obviously had to throw in some racism and homophobia. As usual, completely unnecessary and really not needed. Shit like that just diminishes all the good things in it. 

I particularly enjoyed his scenes with Penelope Wilton. 

I expect downvotes for this.

My other half has been watching New Girl so it's been on in the background.  I've really warmed to it and think it's far better than I thought it would be.  I'm only on season 3 so there is plenty of time for it to go downhill.  They are all annoying characters but Schmidt is my favourite because he is an out and out arsehole.

Bonus points for the season 2 finale having a cameo for TayTay, who was brilliant, of course.

Binged on the 3 series of Mr Robot as well.  It's a bit silly but in a good way.  Some of the episodes in the third season were gripping television.  Portia Doubleday has been the standout for me, her character evolution has been fantastic. And BD Wong in anything is a plus.

• Paid Members

Yeah I liked New Girl. I think I got bored around season 3 but it was fine to have on and was something me and my wife could actually tolerate watching together. Schmidt is clearly the highlight but I did warm to Zooey Deschanel.

• Awards Moderator

We’ve watched New Girl up to the last season, but didn’t realise when it reappeared on E4 earlier this year / late last year / whenever it was. When it turns up on Prime is it worth watching for completion’s sake or does it continue the downward spiral of quality?

Season 5 was quite good as Zooey Deschanel wasn't in half the episodes and she is the worst character in the show. It meant it got to focus more on Schmit and Nick which I'm all for as they're great. If I had it my way, the show would focus soley on their friendship as I couldn't give a fuck about Jess.

I've been binging on The Sinner for the past couple of days and it's pretty damn good, it's not too dissimilar to a True Detective or Sharp Objects with it's edgy and twisty mysteries. It never quites hits the same highs as those but is still really worth watching.

I managed one episode of After Life. It seems like the Ricky Gervais school of comedy writing is if you can't come up with a joke, just say 'cunt' instead. He must have had a rule where the word had to feature at least once a page.

It's clear to see Stephen Merchant was the brains of that writing duo. Hello Ladies was infinitely better than any of Gervais' solo work.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I managed one episode of After Life. It seems like the Ricky Gervais school of comedy writing is if you can't come up with a joke, just say 'cunt' instead. He must have had a rule where the word had to feature at least once a page.

It's clear to see Stephen Merchant was the brains of that writing duo. Hello Ladies was infinitely better than any of Gervais' solo work.

It does not remain that way as the episodes go on. It’s as good as Derek 

I didn’t mind it, but then again I not seen much Gervais other than the XFM show & Podcasts so haven’t had my opinion of him sullied. I’ve never watched The Office, and the only stand-up show of his I’ve seen was Animals

Edited by WyattSheepMask