What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Loved the reaction to why the priest doesn’t talk to his brother.

Was reading something interesting last night. Apparently, that line was supposed to be 'because he's a cunt', but the Beeb politely asked PWB to change the line. I think she did a good job finding a replacement word!

• Paid Members

It flew by as well. I didn't realise that was the whole episode. 

After Life

The Office is one of my top 5 shows of all time. 

I loved Extras too.

Ive even enjoyed some of Ricky Gervais’ stand up. Not much but some.

This. Is. Fucking. Shit

It is so badly written. It’s basically his Twitter feed in sitcom form. 

“I don’t like humanity, they’re all cunts” 

“Haha, I called a small child a cunt”

“Something about arguing with someone on Twitter as that’s what I do so now here’s some character talking about it”

”James Corden* is terrible...haha, I know loads of people will see this bit and think brilliant, he’s having a go at Corden. I’m so edgy😂😂😂👏👏👏

(*Corden is of course the worst but this is the laziest punching down)

”I’m an atheist so here’s a really shoehorned in conversation about atheism with Diane Morgan” (who is not funny. Philomena Cunk was/is NOT funny)

”Redemption from an old person and a drug addict because humanity can be brilliant sometimes can’t it?”

Just awful, really awful. The only redeeming features were Ashley Jensen who’s always good, Mandeep Dhillon and I did laugh at the David Earl bits. 

Other awful things: Joe Wilkinson, Roisin Conaty and a bizarre running gag about Kevin Hart, he’s also terrible but it’s again lazy punching down. He might as well have targeted Piers Morgan. 

I went in to this not expecting much as Gervais of the last few years is unbearable but given his early put out, I was willing to give it a chance, and I actually think he’s a decent actor, but this was so bad.

And it’s a Netflix Original, but I’m putting it in here and not the Netflix thread as it is not fucking recommended. 

• Paid Members

I binged through It's Always Sunny... season 13 last night. I didn't expect to, as I was planning to juggle it with season 5 of Brooklyn 99, but Jake and crew couldn't hold a candle to the Paddy's Pub gang on an episode vs episode basis. So I just blitzed through IASIP in one sitting.

It may be recency bias, but I adored this season and it may be my all-time favourite. Yeah, other seasons have better episodes with classic moments and stoylines, but in terms of consistency and evolving the show (something they've been striving for for a while now) they've hit the nail on the head.

Whilst the characters are still socially inept arseholes with little regard for anyone else, including their own friends, they are a lot more three dimensional which adds an extra punch to the jokes, quips and developments. 

Like all the comedy greats that have come before them, the added layers of serious themes and battling out-dated ideals has sprung the show into another stratosphere, to the point where I'm laughing one minute but then in stunned silence with tears in my eyes the next.

There's some negatives; Dennis being around less is very apparent and the slapdash way they've gone about making the show a weird evergreen hybrid is a tad off-putting, but it wasn't enough to distract from the glowing positives mentioned above.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@Accident Prone yeah I think that this series has some of the best of all time in it. The Gang Gets New Wheels and The Gang Solves The Bathroom Problem are top 10 episodes whilst I will never ever shut up about the last 5 minutes of the series finale. 

Yeah, that final scene was just incredible and breath taking. I'll be talking everyone's ear off about that for some time to come. I might even watch it again later.

• Paid Members
On 3/4/2019 at 11:48 PM, PunkStep said:

Fleabag is back! Very good first episode, one of the strongest yet. Andrew Scott is in it now, and PWB is surely going to turn him from priesthood before long, if he even is a priest.

So looking forward to it. Not been able to watch it yet. The problem with having a big age gap between your kids is one doesn't fuck off to bed until it's too late and the other bastard gets up before the sun.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

After Life

The Office is one of my top 5 shows of all time. 

I loved Extras too.

Chuck him in the 'Best work was with a co-writer who filtered out their shit' pile with Peter Kay

• Paid Members

After Life is ok. It suffers a great deal from Gervais feeling the need to have his character spell out what just happened in a scene, in case the audience missed it - probably because he assumes we're all too thick for his clunky writing. My favourite one:

When he's in the bath about to slit his wrists and stops when his dog walks in looking for him. Right after Gervais' character says something as clumsy as "I'd kill myself if it wasn't for you needing fed". Something he clearly set up at the beginning.

It's all so unnecessary because Gervais is hardly subtle with the pen or camera, these days.