What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I watched a couple of German shows on Netflix, Perfume and Dark.

Perfume is all style over substance, being an edgy little shit for the sake of it. There's some great ideas in there but they're never fully realised, and they could have gone so much deeper with the whole perfume idea.

Dark is bloody awesome but I'd rather not give too much away about it, it's one of the best science fiction thrillers I've seen. It even manages to do 80's nostalgia in a way that doesn't feel like you're being beaten over the head with a boombox.

• Paid Members

Has anybody had a watch of that Russian Doll thing on Netflix? It looks interesting. Might give it a look when I've got this series of The Good Place finished.

• Paid Members
On 2/1/2019 at 5:42 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Has anybody had a watch of that Russian Doll thing on Netflix? It looks interesting. Might give it a look when I've got this series of The Good Place finished.

It's alright, absolutely nothing spectacular at all. I was exceptionally put off by the curly haired lass from American Pie doing her best attempt at an impression of Joan Rivers throughout. And they clearly spent half the budget on cigarettes. Premise is decent, but is rushed to a conclusion. 

Edited by Teedy Kay

I’m torn on this. I wanted to turn it off after about 2 minutes. Everything was irritating. Lyonne is good when she’s actually acting, and not when she’s channeling, as TeedyKay rightly points out a cross between Joan Rivers and the hammiest “Ooooooh!!!!! I’m focking walkin here!!!!” New Yoiker

Having said that, there’s enough here to see me through to the end. Not exactly a huge series is it. And I like her friends.

• Awards Moderator

Catastrophe finished for good this week, and I'm going to really miss it. No spoilers but it ended in a really satisfying way. 

I boxsetted the whole thing again this month and the writing is so damn good. Sharp like a blade and just as cutting. Some of Rob's putdowns are so well crafted I stash them away. Just so one day I can quote to some dribbling homeopath "I saw a guy on the tube with no legs. I prescribed him some doodley-doo and BAM his legs grew right back." It's that smiley American delivery that nails it. 

And then there's Chris. 

tumblr_nl6cq7PRIg1qzd6kwo8_400.gif