What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Hardy Bucks.

I had never heard of this before I saw it on Netflix the other day...FUCK ME what a show. I have absolutely died at every single episode so far.

It’s a mockumentary on a town in County Mayo, following the locals round Castletown. That’s pretty much the plot.

The Viper is just one of the best chicken shit heels I’ve ever seen on TV. Really recommend this, so glad I watched it.

• Paid Members

We started watching a show called "The Ranch" with Ashton Kutcher on Netflix. I nearly turned it off after about 2 minutes because the wooden delivery and canned laughter was awful but we stuck with it for a couple of episodes and I love it a little bit now. It's not brilliantlywritten or particularly original but it's funny and the characters grew on me quickly. Some cracking Country songs on the closing credits of each episode too.

Over the past few evenings I have watched Sex Education on Netflix. To begin with I very nearly binned it off after the first episode, but after that it improves greatly.

One thing that confused me early on was that it looked like it was set in the early 90s, with the way everyone is dressed and the cool kids turn up in a Volkswagen mk 2 Golf cabriolet. Then later on all the kids have mobile phones and computers. It's very much a love letter to John Hughes' films like Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. Also the school is really American, but it is British.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:49 PM, Guy Bifkin said:

Good to see True Detective has returned to the warm comfort blanket of satanic pedophile rings after the truly awful second season. 

Without spoiling it would u say its worth a watch? Like u I enjoyed the first series and switched off mid way through the second. 

Without spoiling it would u say its worth a watch? Like u I enjoyed the first series and switched off mid way through the second. 

Yes definitely. Its very much gone back to its season1 roots and has a terrific central performance. The mystery element is interesting and keeps you watching. It still suffers from a slight pretentiousness. The first season will always be a high watermark, and Season 2 had its moments (Farrell was excellent)

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

One thing that confused me early on was that it looked like it was set in the early 90s, with the way everyone is dressed and the cool kids turn up in a Volkswagen mk 2 Golf cabriolet. Then later on all the kids have mobile phones and computers. It's very much a love letter to John Hughes' films like Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. Also the school is really American, but it is British.

I'm bloody loving Sex Education and I think this is one of the reasons why. It almost doesn't want to be set in a time frame so is chucking staples of different generations everywhere as some meta understanding that everyone faces the same issues no matter what generation they're from. Its quite quirky and brilliantly done.

A lot of it was filmed quite close to me as well which is pretty cool. Some of the actors are definitely on course to have a breakout year, the response has been insane for it.

• Paid Members
On 1/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, Onyx2 said:

Shoehorning this into this thread which I was forwarded last night. Howling with laughter:

Last weeks 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown featured the 2nd edition of this. Almost as glorious as the first