What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Just watched the Inside No.9 live special. I'm officially not worthy of messers Reece and Steve.

Whaaaaaat? First I've heard of this. Fuck. 

Just now, johnnyboy said:

Watch it on iPlayer now.  It'll be ruined by dawn by spoilers everywhere.

Yes. Watch it as soon as possible to avoid spoilers. Really enjoyed it and look forward to the new series next year.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Agreed. Totally got fooled at the start then just enthralled until the very end. Geniuses the pair of them and I hope @Astro Hollywood was watching as I think he'd have loved it.

Indeed. Spoilers for tonight's Inside No 9 (and a bit of self-obsession) follow

Fucking hell. A brilliant piece of television, and an instant Halloween classic, but there were so many crossovers with things I've written about (a book featuring Most Haunted and Ghostwatch, a recent story asking what if Bobby Davro had died in the stocks that day, which has a really similar theme), that I was genuinely starting to wonder if I was in for an NTV-style cut to me watching in my living room. It made the really effective unsettling structure way more intense for me. I quickly grabbed my Kindle during the the bit when Reece tweeted, and yes, he did. It's almost impossible to fool anyone these days, but the 'repeat' went on for juuuuust long enough that I reckon there are plenty of angry people who turned over at that point and missed the rest.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It's almost impossible to fool anyone these days, but the 'repeat' went on for juuuuust long enough that I reckon there are plenty of angry people who turned over at that point and missed the rest.

Very nearly me.  Took me a lot of persuading to get wifey to watch it as she’s not a fan.  Luckily, they picked the best episode to replace it and it engaged her immediately, so I took the opportunity to watch it again, not knowing what the bastards were up to.  Amazing.

• Paid Members

Great episode that, up there with Paul Daniels' tragic accident and dying on screen.

*Spoilers* Someone will no doubt go through it with a fine tooth comb for all the hidden gems, the silence of the lambs night vision walking must have something lurking in the corners.

• Paid Members

I have to admit I quickly turned over, it was a great piece of TV and there's bound to be loads of little Easter eggs. The other really obvious one being The Shining inspired wallpaper in the dressing room. 

• Paid Members

Genuinely not sure if that Inside No 9 special was good or unbearably smug. Which is a fairly accurate description of Reese Shearsmith in general, really.

It definitely got me in places - particularly the "repeat" - and I liked the clips from other relevant shows, if only because I'm a bit of a nerd for telly obscurities and lore, but while the structure was unsettling and discomforting, it sometimes felt like it was just meandering, and struggling to get to a point. The climax felt pretty weak and more or less predictable.

Stuff like them flicking through channels and showing what was actually on, and Tweeting live, was a really nice touch and use of the format, though - reminded me of the crossword episode using that day's actual Guardian crossword. 

I thought it was a really good idea but the lack of an actual storyline and the fact that only about half the show was actually live took the shine off it a bit. It was more just an exercise in them showing off the technical tricks.

I think to have really got it and enjoyed it to it's fullest, you had to have watched it live when it aired. Watching it on iPlayer makes it less easy to fall for because if it had really gone tits up and caused them to show a repeat, they wouldn't had put it up on iPlayer so there's immediate red flags.

• Awards Moderator

I caught up with this on iplayer but I think even if live I wouldn't have trusted the technical fault screen because it's them. Easy for me to say now I know. But they're such masters of TV as a medium I couldn't help but be impressed. 

It really was Astro's TV show though. All his favourite references! Just needed Stephanie Cole to sit backwards on her chair. SC Slater. 

Oh and Reece's and Steve's conversation in the dressing room was probably verbatim what they actually would've said. "it's not even fookin' Halloween, too busy showing the bloody Apprentice!" 

Edited by Onyx2