What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
On 6/12/2018 at 10:47 PM, PunkStep said:

I got u fam

So, I mean, my late response is partly through shame at taking so long to finally see this, and my goodness, where to start?  It's fucking smashing ennit?

I mean, being so late to the party i've nothing to add of note that hasn't already been said, but jesus, talk about a home run.  I can even look past the wildly convoluted, good guys ending up at Cobra Kai, badd'un learning under Laruso's tutelage because it's such a cute juxtaposition.

I just bloody loved it, everything about it, the little tributes without resorting to knowing winks to camera and "look what big fans of the source material we are", the shades of grey that exist amongst the main characters, I found myself every episode bouncing back and forth between who's side I was on, but without ever disliking one or the other, in that respect it really appealed to the adult me in terms of characters who are real, rather than inherently good or bad - I thought Miguel's gradual transformation was especially well done, thought the chap that played him did a great job actually.

I promised myself I wasn't going to burn through it, and just watch an episode a night.  Started Monday and by Wednesday I watched three in a row, just constantly hooked for more.

As for the finale...

The Kreese reveal I can take or leave to be honest - now if Terry Silver turns up, that's when I'll be taking my macbook in to have ejaculate hosed out from underneath the keyboard, but fuck me....when Daniel takes Robbie to that location at the end, unfortunately for me, I clocked where they were the moment he closed the gates and the cars were under the tarpaulins, but when he switched the lights on and said "Welcome to Miyagi-Do Karate, we're gonna need more students" well if I wasn't blubbering like a bloody child with tears of joy!

In short, nothing has had me laugh out loud, air grab, or sit bold upright in an entirely physical manifestation of excitement for many a year and the only dissapointing thing about the whole show, is that they've got me in the palm of their fucking hand and I have to wait a year for the next series.

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

Has anyone watched Season 2 of GLOW? Episode 8 is a particular standout episode, but the whole season has been great and didn't suffer from Netflix Second Season fatigue (yes Stranger things, I am looking at you, especially that terrible back door pilot episode). There is even some decent (and some appalling) wrestling in it from the actors.

Also just finished season 1 of Atlanta. I know i'm late to the party, but what a show.

Yeah, I was very impressed by Season 2 of GLOW. I was wary of it possibly declining in quality but it really found its groove quickly and if anything improved upon the first season for me.

As good as Alison Brie (always) is, Betty Gilpin was the MVP - terrific performance...and I am very much in love with her.

Also thought the guy playing Bash really stepped up this season.

Edited by METAL ON METAL

Finished watching the last episode of Season 2 of GLOW yesterday and really enjoyed it as well. Have they renewed it for a third season?

42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

didn't suffer from Netflix Second Season fatigue (yes Stranger things, I am looking at you, especially that terrible back door pilot episode).

I thought season 2 of Stranger Things was just as great, fun and entertaining as the first season, but each to their own.

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, DJM said:

Finished watching the last episode of Season 2 of GLOW yesterday and really enjoyed it as well. Have they renewed it for a third season?

I thought season 2 of Stranger Things was just as great, fun and entertaining as the first season, but each to their own.

It wasn't as good a season. I mean, it was still good, but nowhere near as good as Season 1 for me, and that episode with Kali as I mentioned above, is one of the worst episodes of a show in ages!

Glow hasn't been renewed yet for season 3 but I think judging from the buzz and all the publicity for it, I am sure it is a given (saying that, I have episode 10 to watch tonight. Maybe everyone is caught in an explosion in the ring and no one survives! Episode 8 is the most 80's thing I have ever seen, and I grew up in the 80's.

• Paid Members

Woah there, the 2nd series of Stranger Things was brilliant! I was apprehensive, but it was even better than the 1st series.

But yeah, I'm 6 episodes into GLOW series 2 and it's excellent. Really enjoying it so far.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Woah there, the 2nd series of Stranger Things was brilliant! I was apprehensive, but it was even better than the 1st series.

I will say that finale of season 2 was excellent and a better ending then season 1 for me, but on the whole I just didn't think it was a strong as the first season. It was by no means a disaster, but I just don't think it was as good as the first. Maybe because season 1 came from nowhere. No hype, no expectation. Season 2 had baggage which isn't their fault, but it meant it didn't feel as fresh. And mid way through the season the quality dipped. First half was good, dipped around episode 6 and picked up around episode 8 again. Just didn't feel as consistent for me as the first. Even though Steve became the MVP

Agreed on the GLOW love. Series 2 was much better than the 1st, and felt much more fleshed out.

Netty Gilpin as Debbie and Chris Lowell as Bash were bloody brilliant. As were Maron  and Brie.

I am so in love with Kate Nash, its ridiculous. 2008 me was, so nothings changed in 10 years.

Agree with @PunkStep Series 2 of Stranger Things was way better than 1. Team Steve for life...

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I am so in love with Kate Nash, its ridiculous

So yeah, you’re getting a Frankie Crisp sized stab wound to the head. Much like the Coren and the Swift are mine, the Nash is his. 

Disclaimer, if you or David Mitchell turn up dead, Frankie was round mine all night listening to Springsteen. 

57 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

So yeah, you’re getting a Frankie Crisp sized stab wound to the head. Much like the Coren and the Swift are mine, the Nash is his. 

Disclaimer, if you or David Mitchell turn up dead, Frankie was round mine all night listening to Springsteen.

Ironically?

• Paid Members

I just saw full penetrative sex on channel 5, I'm not offended but I was extremely surprised, they showed the bloke's full boner going in, when did this become allowed on terrestrial? I used to have to wank to Eurotrash.

Update: Seconds later there was a bloke putting a massive black dildo up his arse. 

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle
Update

• Paid Members

After finishing 'A Legacy of Spies' sat round a pool on my holidays last week, upon my return I felt compelled to watch 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' ... not the shitehawk film, but the wonderful Alec Guineas driven BBC drama.

I watch it every know and then and each time, even though dated, I find it truly wonderful. Guiness is perfect as Smiley, and the supporting cast, especially Beryl Reid are great too (Ricky Tarr maybe oversold it). Will continue the viewing of Smiley's People over the weekend.

After the brilliant Night Manager, and after the shitty film, a revisit of the Karla Trilogy would make for some belting TV, you could even add Legacy of Spies now too.

Patrick Stewart playing Control would be a fitting touch.