What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Glad you liked it @tiger_rick I thought the final episode was note perfect.

Very very small thing but

When they're in the auction house and Andy's missus says "My Mum has lent us the money" (can't remember the exact wording), Andy's delivery of "Fucking hell" is absolutely note perfect. It might be the most perfect delivery of a line I've ever seen. So realistic. What an actor Mackenzie Crook is.

• Paid Members
On 20 January 2018 at 8:17 PM, King Pitcos said:

You say that, but iconic roles can be overshadowed by later cack. Robert Lindsey was Citizen Smith, for frig's sake, and if someone ever mentions Citizen Smith, I don't even think of Robert Lindsey at all. I think of Carbomb.

Oh, you :blush:

I've been watching a lot of latter-day Frasier ATM.

It's a lot less irritating when Niles and Daphne's relationship isn't one of the main focuses. I think their onscreen chemistry was ten times better before they got together. It's amazing how much of a 180 they did on Martin's character, too; he's practically a different person to the one seen in Series 1/2.

Something my brother said that I think hits the nail on the head is it's a "dumb comedy about smart people", which isn't an insult, rather it means it's just as acceptable as Friends or Seinfeld.

I still get a kick out of Frasier's monologues, such a great actor.

• Paid Members

Just finished The Detectorists after watching series 1 ages ago and not getting around to finishing it. 

When was the last time a British sitcom had characters that you could actually invest in and care about like you can and do with Andy and Lance? The happiness I felt during the final shots of the last episode(don't know how to spoiler tag, so won't go into details) was immense. I just hope they make a Christmas Special or two in the future so we can see how the two couples lives panned out...

2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Just finished The Detectorists after watching series 1 ages ago and not getting around to finishing it. 

When was the last time a British sitcom had characters that you could actually invest in and care about like you can and do with Andy and Lance? The happiness I felt during the final shots of the last episode(don't know how to spoiler tag, so won't go into details) was immense. I just hope they make a Christmas Special or two in the future so we can see how the two couples lives panned out...

The Office, and look at what a perfect note that ended on...

The Detectorists shows just what a great actor Mackenzie Crook is.

5 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

When was the last time a British sitcom had characters that you could actually invest in and care about like you can and do with Andy and Lance? 

Mark and Jez in The Peep Show. Everyone in The People Just Do Nothing. And though I’m a bit embarrassed by it now, pretty much everyone in The Gavin & Stacey.

• Paid Members

People Just Do Nothing is tremendous. DJ Grinder is such a prick, and even though Chabadi is completely clueless in an utterly ridiculous way, you can't help but root for him in the end.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

And though I’m a bit embarrassed by it now, pretty much everyone in The Gavin & Stacey.

I know exactly what you mean. I hate James Corden, and I'd probably avoid the show today if it was new regardless of him, but I was invested in the show and the characters.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

I know I'm about 20 years to late, but I've started watching Seinfeld on Amazon Prime. They're such awful people, except for Kramer. Can't make my mind up over whether Elaine is hot or not. I'm such a Philestine.

What series are you on? It gets into its stride halfway through and arguably gets better and better until the finale, which was awful.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

What series are you on? It gets into its stride halfway through and arguably gets better and better until the finale, which was awful.

I last watched the  first few episodes of series 4. It has been steadily improving  as it's gone on.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Mark and Jez in The Peep Show. Everyone in The People Just Do Nothing. And though I’m a bit embarrassed by it now, pretty much everyone in The Gavin & Stacey.

Agree with G&S, but while I liked Peep Show, I never found the characters "likeable" like I did Lance and Andy. 

I echo the love for People Just Do Nothing too!

Chabuddy seems like the kind of guy that lives the gimmick. Their show at Brixton Academy was brilliant with him doing a version of Dirty Diana by MJ but changed to Dirty Aldonna.

I still find it hard to believe that most of the show is written by Steves. I guess it goes to show how good he is at the part. He's probably my favourite character in the show. 

Crazy to think too that not only is Beats an Ivor Novello award winner in real life, but also Keith Chegwins nephew.

Fans of PJDN, check out the episodes of this podcast with Hugo Chegwin (Keiths nephew no less!), Asim Chaudhry and Grindah. Well worth listening to. https://www.acast.com/thelastskeptik

This is well worth 20 minutes of your time as Grindah absolutely KILLS it

I was sold from episode 1 when I saw the 267 bus go past (young Bacon's bus home from school), and the fact that they are from the Green Dragon estate, as that was the estate that we all 'beefed' with growing up. KURUPT FOR LIFE! Great show...big up Steves Nan...

Edited by SuperBacon