UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

he worked two FMW matches while under contract with the WWF; the first was only a month after he debuted, so presumably a booking he was already announced for and WWF were happy for him to fulfill.

He appeared for them in 1997 - FMW paid the WWF a considerable sum to be able to use him. Atsushi Onita met with Vince McMahon in '97 on other business, so it's possible that they were on good enough terms to sign off on a deal like that regardless. It wasn't the only example of this - FMW paid huge money to book Ken Shamrock vs. Vader later that year, and The Undertaker wrestled for Michinoku Pro in '97.

• Paid Members

Don’t know why I’ve never thought of this before but did Ric Flair vs Dustin Rhodes ever happen? It seems like such an obvious match, especially given Flair’s history with Dusty, but I can’t recall them ever going head to head. Am I overlooking something obvious? Closest I’ve got is a tag match from Raw in 2003 with Goldust and Booker T vs Flair and Triple H.

Seems mad to me if it never happened in WCW but they weren’t both there at the same time for long in 91 before Flair left and then when he came back in 93 they were both babyfaces. Could’ve happened in 94 but I don’t recall it and Flair was tied up with Hogan for the bulk of the year.

Just seems like something that could’ve really worked in terms of storyline and maybe even elevating Dustin into a main event spot. No doubt the matches themselves would’ve been great.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Must have happened in 2000 WCW surely? 

Dustin & Dusty vs. Flair & Jarrett happened in 2000.

I think that actually might be it!

I always thought the best WCW story would have been Dustin joining the Horsemen.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

@gmoney Ah I bet it did actually. And no doubt a Russo booked 3 minute abomination. It’d be typical of WCW that. 

It was a 'Kiss My Ass' match, which resulted in an angle the following night where Dustin and Dusty forced Flair to kiss a donkey's ass.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It was a 'Kiss My Ass' match, which resulted in an angle the following night where Dustin and Dusty forced Flair to kiss a donkey's ass.

I think that’s a joke but when we’re talking last legs WCW and Vince Russo, I don’t know. 

Edit - Christ, you weren’t joking. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Weren't WWF actually contemplating a 'Mania deathmatch with Funk and Foley at some point? I'm sure I've read that before and maybe working with Onita to help with it?

Wrestlemania 14, if I remember correctly - it was in Foley's autobiography. It got changed to the Dumpster Match when they got Tyson in, as it'd be so much more extra attention and it wasn't the time for barbed wire.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Chris B said:

Wrestlemania 14, if I remember correctly - it was in Foley's autobiography. It got changed to the Dumpster Match when they got Tyson in, as it'd be so much more extra attention and it wasn't the time for barbed wire.

Some of the ppv providers weren't keen when rumours circulated either from what I remember, and the WWF weren't in the position to tell them to shut up and just count all the money like they would be 12 - 18 months on when issues with sponsors and providers popped up again. 

On 5/23/2020 at 10:49 AM, simonworden said:

Was just trying to clarify a response i'd made in the Random thoughts thread and came across this event from 2001 on Cage Match

"ECW Reunion Show"- Elks Lodge 8/7/01

Singles Match

Chilly Willy defeats Tom Marquez
Singles Match
Kid USA defeats The Mighty Finn
Singles Match
Nova defeats Chris Chetti (w/Elektra)
Singles Match
Mikey Whipwreck defeats Swinger
Singles Match
Balls Mahoney defeats Jack Victory
Tag Team Match
Danny Doring & Roadkill defeat The FBI (Guido Maritato & Tony Mamaluke)
Singles Match
Sabu (w/Bill Alfonso) defeats Angel
Singles Match

Anyone got any info on this as it seems like it was a a good chunk of the final ECW roster that wasn't signed to WWE (and Dreamer), mostly curious if it was an ECW booked event that someone on the card took over. 

You should be able to pick up a copy of the show easily enough. Back in the day most people seemed to title it "A Reunion of Stars", RF Video have it for sale now on their site with the title "ECW Reunion 7/8/01 Buffalo, NY". Or if you don't feel like giving Feinstein your money it's available to download on a certain wrestling torrent website. It's been a long time since I've watched it so I can't remember much about the show itself, I don't remember it being essential viewing or anything.