Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
neil

UKFF Questions Thread V2

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

Watching Dustin's blade job at Double or Nothing, has there ever been a case where someone has legitimately passed out during a match because they gigged too deep and bled too much?

Eddie Guerrero nearly did after his crazy blade job vs JBL in 2004 - he didn't pass out during the match (I guess adrenaline got him through that one) but he went into shock backstage, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Supremo said:

Watching Dustin's blade job at Double or Nothing, has there ever been a case where someone has legitimately passed out during a match because they gigged too deep and bled too much?

Mass Transit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I imagining this from some weird sex video in the late 90s? During Goldust's feud with Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania 12 (feud is quite underrated, I feel) did Goldust simulate giving a blow-job to Roddy Piper's bagpipes or am I imagining this? You'd think people would kick up shit about that at the time. I can't find anything on Youtube. Thanks.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Am I imagining this from some weird sex video in the late 90s? During Goldust's feud with Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania 12 (feud is quite underrated, I feel) did Goldust simulate giving a blow-job to Roddy Piper's bagpipes or am I imagining this? You'd think people would kick up shit about that at the time. I can't find anything on Youtube. Thanks.

This happened, unbelievably. Skip to 3:35;

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting it. You can really see why they needed to tone down the Goldust character a bit in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been rattling around in my brain for a couple of weeks, ‘cos a lot of the US sports podcasts I listen to have been covering the College World Series in baseball, which is a double-elimination tournament. That is to say, you have to lose twice to be eliminated. Then on NXT this weeks Regal deliberately announced the Breakout Tournament as a single-elimination tournament, as is often done when tournaments are talked about in wrestling. So...

Has there ever been a notable double-elimination tournament in pro wrestling? I can’t think of one but there are ample opportunities for storytelling there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WCW did a double elimination tournament for the vacant tag titles in 99. I remember it being pretty confusing at the time as I'd never heard of the concept before and WCW were notoriously bad at explaining things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Statto said:

Has there ever been a notable double-elimination tournament in pro wrestling? I can’t think of one but there are ample opportunities for storytelling there.

There was a one-night, double elimination four-way match to crown the first TNA X-Division champion back in 2002 (AJ Styles vs Jerry Lynn vs Low Ki vs  Psicosis), where you had to be twinned twice to be eliminated.

It sounds confusing but it worked really well, as it started out as a singles-match, then when you were pinned you had to leave the ring and the next guy entered. It carried on and went in a circle until it came down to a winner. Really worth re-watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see a double elimination tournament being a tricky prospect to do outside of a one night situation with all the brackets to keep track of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chatter in the Fight Fest thread about the convenience of a PPV on Saturday evening had me wondering: why are WWE PPVs traditionally on a Sunday? Is it to avoid a possible clash with boxing? 

Taboo Tuesday excepted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

The chatter in the Fight Fest thread about the convenience of a PPV on Saturday evening had me wondering: why are WWE PPVs traditionally on a Sunday? Is it to avoid a possible clash with boxing? 

Taboo Tuesday excepted. 

They didn't settle on Sunday for years. Right into the mid 90s they were generally Monday and sometimes, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it something to do with the Monday Night Wars, using the PPVs to lead into Raw/Nitro the following night for maximum ratings boost? Or is it just because the big sports/entertainment events like the Super Bowl and the Oscars are on Sundays so they wanted to feel big time too?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...