UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
On 6/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, BomberPat said:

Probably a combination of things - big TV events are more likely to be Sunday than Friday or Saturday, because people are more likely to be at home; it's historically one of the better days for TV ratings. RAW going live will have helped make the decision permanent, in that it cut down on travel costs to have them do Sunday and Monday in the same area.

Reserving Sunday nights for big events have always struck me as more of an American thing tbh.

I know that the World Cup Final is usually on a Sunday, but the Champions League, FA Cup final etc have settled into Saturdays now which I've always preferred as it usually means you're off the next day. Always used to piss me off as a child and teenager that the PPV's had to be on Sunday nights when we had school the next day, it felt like they were going out of their way to be awkward.

Anybody know what exactly was up with Sting in Dec 97 when he made his comeback against Hulk Hogan at starrcade?

The way I’ve heard the story told is that he showed up looking very disinterested and not in good physical condition. Hulk says to Bischoff that because of Sting’s condition they need to change the finish of the main event !!!

But what actually was up with him ?

• Paid Members

Supposedly he had MAJOR marriage issues going on and a raging pain pill habit.

I've got a question. See the shot when Randy Savage whacks the Warrior with the "sceptre" legit supposed to sound and be that hard? Sorry for sounding markish but ones got to know..

Watch this video for the shot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vG7kyokfM

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Anybody know what exactly was up with Sting in Dec 97 when he made his comeback against Hulk Hogan at starrcade?

The way I’ve heard the story told is that he showed up looking very disinterested and not in good physical condition. Hulk says to Bischoff that because of Sting’s condition they need to change the finish of the main event !!!

But what actually was up with him ?

They used to say history is written by the winners. Now it's written by whichever gobshite has a podcast.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

They used to say history is written by the winners. Now it's written by whichever gobshite has a podcast.

Very true.

If Bischoff’s narrative is to be believed, then they could still have booked the Sting Dominating squash match that, that match really needed to be !!

Sounds odd to me. Sting’s underwhelming performance was surely the result of bad booking on the night as opposed to his physical condition no ?

• Paid Members

Whether Sting was in terrible shape or not, Hogan not having the balls to simply go "I'm going over, I have final say, so fuck off" and instead telling Nick Patrick to double cross him is the problem here. If Bischoff and Hogan truly thought Sting lacked the drive to carry the company, then just have Hogan go over. But that's not what happened. The president of the company and the guy with creative over his own programs decided to go behind Sting's back and change the finish on him. That's both pointless and shows a lack of balls.

As far as Sting's performance on the night, that's just Sting. He allowed Hogan to lead the match, which involved no comeback until after the three count that never was. Sting got a kicking the whole match, got pinned and Bret Hart had to turn up and look like as big an idiot as Sting.

55 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Whether Sting was in terrible shape or not, Hogan not having the balls to simply go "I'm going over, I have final say, so fuck off" and instead telling Nick Patrick to double cross him is the problem here. If Bischoff and Hogan truly thought Sting lacked the drive to carry the company, then just have Hogan go over. But that's not what happened. The president of the company and the guy with creative over his own programs decided to go behind Sting's back and change the finish on him. That's both pointless and shows a lack of balls.

As far as Sting's performance on the night, that's just Sting. He allowed Hogan to lead the match, which involved no comeback until after the three count that never was. Sting got a kicking the whole match, got pinned and Bret Hart had to turn up and look like as big an idiot as Sting.

Christ, they really couldn’t have made more of a balls of that if they tried. 

Has Nick Patrick ever said what actually was meant to happen that night.

• Paid Members

I’m sure I’ve asked this before but can’t remember the answer.

I vividly remember some time in 1997 they did a tournament for the WWF tag belts, which Owen Hart and Bulldog won. Then, just as the show was going off the air, Jim Cornette came out with some big lads, presumably to then feud with Owen and Davey. However, the following week they seemed to vanish and were never mentioned again.

Can anyone remember the date of that show, who they were and what the deal was? As a kid who wasn’t even reading Powerslam at the time, it did my head in that it was never explained. I always think about that whenever I read their philosophy being, “it’s only wrestling, who cares?” Trust me, there are twelve year old kids out there where this stuff matter A LOT.

• Paid Members

Would it be the Headhunters? They were around for a cup of coffee, and apparently showed up on RAW in June 1997 managed by Cornette, under the name The Arabian Butchers. Not sure why they didn't stick around.

Weirdly, I've recently started trying to write a book about wrestling, and just yesterday was writing about how the Headhunters were part of one of my most vivid WWF memories as a kid. Despite having seemingly only been in the company for about five minutes' screen time total.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

That's them! Cheers. Wikipedia informs me the appearance I'm thinking of is June 30th, 1997.

Goes to show what a couple of big lads can achieve that I remember that all these years later. Are there any big or fat lads on the independants that AEW could bring in?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

That's them! Cheers. Wikipedia informs me the appearance I'm thinking of is June 30th, 1997.

Goes to show what a couple of big lads can achieve that I remember that all these years later. Are there any big or fat lads on the independants that AEW could bring in?

There were two or three of them in the battle royals, at DON, All In and the MSG show this year. I can't remember where I seen which guy and I'd never seen either before, but they looked to be astoundingly shit. Ace Romero I think one guy was and beer city brawler or something like that rings a bell? They're certainly no fucking Earthquake that's for sure. I'm not even convinced they could be as good as Mabel. 

Brodus Clay must have hung them up. He was a pretty good big lad. Last I read though, he was getting brought up for sexual harassment in the workplace at a news/television outlet. 

The Headhunters, were they not always completely useless too? May have been why they didn't hang about. I can't see Davey wanting to throw those two clarts about for too long. 

• Paid Members

I’m sure Cornette’s talked about that brief Headhunters stint on one of his million shoots or podcasts or whatever. He was laughing his head off and saying something like ’here’s these two big monster motherfuckers and on their first night in the company Davey Boy’s out there god damn bodyslamming them all over the place. Completely killed them.’ I’m guessing that’s in that June 97 timeframe. Was their Royal Rumble 96 appearance a one-off at that time? I remember that Rumble having all sorts of random faces showing up. 

I think this is the bit @Supremo was on about. 

I have no recollection of that. 

Edited by wandshogun09