UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Awards Moderator

Is it something to do with the Monday Night Wars, using the PPVs to lead into Raw/Nitro the following night for maximum ratings boost? Or is it just because the big sports/entertainment events like the Super Bowl and the Oscars are on Sundays so they wanted to feel big time too?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Is it something to do with the Monday Night Wars, using the PPVs to lead into Raw/Nitro the following night for maximum ratings boost? Or is it just because the big sports/entertainment events like the Super Bowl and the Oscars are on Sundays so they wanted to feel big time too?

It predates the MNW because they settled on Sundays throughout 1995 but could be to do with Raw. I've just always assumed their metrics told them that was the best night given they'd tried all the others.

• Paid Members

Probably a combination of things - big TV events are more likely to be Sunday than Friday or Saturday, because people are more likely to be at home; it's historically one of the better days for TV ratings. RAW going live will have helped make the decision permanent, in that it cut down on travel costs to have them do Sunday and Monday in the same area.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure it was to avoid clashes with boxing pay-per-views. There was a point where some cable companies only had one PPV channel. Even if they could carry two live events at the same time, they'd usually prioritize one event, which would be the boxing. By the time wrestling settled on Sunday, it was in a comparative slump on PPV and big boxing matches were regularly doing better buyrates.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Listening to Stone Cold's podcast with Mark Henry and it got me curious - are there any matches involving him before 2006 worth watching? Would love to watch any if so!

The Goldberg match around October/November 2003 is a personal favourite of mine. A nice, physical sub-10 minute match, with a highlight-reel Jackhammer. One of the few times WWE got the Goldberg formula right in that first run. Probably the first time I ever saw value in Mizark, too (huge fan of him from about 2008-on).

Were the Bushwhackers meant to be a military gimmick?

Despite them marching everywhere and being dressed in camoflage, it never crossed my mind until I just saw Butch saluting the NZ flag on Crockett Cup

On 6/26/2019 at 11:17 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

The Goldberg match around October/November 2003 is a personal favourite of mine. A nice, physical sub-10 minute match, with a highlight-reel Jackhammer. One of the few times WWE got the Goldberg formula right in that first run. Probably the first time I ever saw value in Mizark, too (huge fan of him from about 2008-on).

Thanks for this, I enjoyed it (it’s on YouTube for us Network cancellers).

• Paid Members

It crossed my mind yesterday watching a triple-threat match, and I guess would also include matches with more participants like a four way, five way etc. Since such bouts are normally set up that they end up finishing with one fall from a pin or submission, what would be the technical decision where a participant says "I quit" or taps out if there is no other wrestler applying a hold or even be in physical contact on the participant who submits?

I know that such a scenario sounds barely plausible, but I could envision a case where a participant like a cowardly heel manager or other normally non-wrestling talent would do something like this in a scenario where the other wrestlers in the bout trap or corner them into a position where they're going to get seven shades kicked out of them, and declares they quit before anyone lays a hand on them. Now in a standard one-on-one bout, the submission declaration would see their opponent declared the winner, but who'd win a multi participant match is not as clear.

So I guess, has this situation happened before anywhere and if so how was it addressed? It seems to be a logistical loophole the same way that multi participant tag team bouts ended up with the "Outlaw rule". It sounds like something to me that Vince Russo could have booked at some point.

They’d just ignore it and carry on surely, like when someone taps out in a ladder match for example, which they do fairly regularly. 

The match can’t be won by somebody who isn’t it, so the submission doesn’t end the match. 

On 6/30/2019 at 5:45 AM, PJ Power said:

It crossed my mind yesterday watching a triple-threat match, and I guess would also include matches with more participants like a four way, five way etc. Since such bouts are normally set up that they end up finishing with one fall from a pin or submission, what would be the technical decision where a participant says "I quit" or taps out if there is no other wrestler applying a hold or even be in physical contact on the participant who submits?

I know that such a scenario sounds barely plausible, but I could envision a case where a participant like a cowardly heel manager or other normally non-wrestling talent would do something like this in a scenario where the other wrestlers in the bout trap or corner them into a position where they're going to get seven shades kicked out of them, and declares they quit before anyone lays a hand on them. Now in a standard one-on-one bout, the submission declaration would see their opponent declared the winner, but who'd win a multi participant match is not as clear.

So I guess, has this situation happened before anywhere and if so how was it addressed? It seems to be a logistical loophole the same way that multi participant tag team bouts ended up with the "Outlaw rule". It sounds like something to me that Vince Russo could have booked at some point.

Putting too much logic into wrestling is always pretty dangerous but I would guess the if the person is not in a hold by someone then they are not in a position to submit or tap out anyway so it wouldn't be counted. That for me would apply with a singles match too, someone has to be putting you in a hold. Should someone be allowed to give up on a match and walk away? I guess technically yes but then cowardly heels could just do that bad then you need to talk about winners purse/ fines etc which most promotions these days can't be arsed to do. Even though it adds a very simple edge as the idea of all wrestlers being on a fixed salary or not caring about money does seem ridiculous.