UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
Bret Hart did at Halloween Havoc 98, but I'm almost certain that was a fuck up. The Mankind idea was great I thought. The piano music to calm him down was an inspired decision, I thought.

Yeah, it's still a brilliant effect. I used to like the window they had him sit in in the ring as well. They really did put his character together so well in those early stages.

• Paid Members
After watching the 1988 timeline with JJ Dillon, I realised how unfamiliar I am with that time period in NWA history. I fancy buying a yearly set of WCW Saturday Night or something, but what year was the best between 1985-1990? Any ideas?

Looking at the line-ups and remembering stuff I'd seen, you're probably looking at 85-86 for promos and 89 for match quality.

• Paid Members
Looking at the line-ups and remembering stuff I'd seen, you're probably looking at 85-86 for promos and 89 for match quality.

Just to elaborate on this a little - and I couldn't agree more -

1985-86 is notable for the peak of the Flair/Rhodes rivalry and into 1986 the formation of the Four Horsemen. You watch this period, you also get some incredibly intense rivalries between Flair and Magnum, Tully and Magnum, Tully and Dusty, the Baby Doll saga and all that jazz. Although I'd probably keep watching into 1987 at least until you get to the first War Games.

1989 in simplest terms gives you the Flair/Steamboat and Flair/Funk feuds, but you also get some cracking matches from the likes of Sting and Muta, Luger and Pillman, and the Steiners in their infancy killing bitches dead, plus a very satisfactory Starrcade, I thought.

• Paid Members

Can anyone that attended remember - at Universal Uproar, did Kobashi enter to Grand Sword or Blazin'? I think Blazin' but I'm not 100% sure. It still enrages me that the power of that moment and the atmosphere the live crowd created has been lost forever by the terrible generic music dubbed over the top. I don't understand why either, it's not as though there was any fear of legal action from Noah for using the bloody music.

It's nearly as annoying as the mispronunciation on the DVD of a name as simple as "Jun." If, as someone with enough apparent knowledge to be drafted in to commentate on such an event, he'd have watched ONE of Akiyama's fucking matches from Japan, he'd have known that "Jun" is pronounced with a hard J. Not "Yun." Fucking prick. I get very annoyed when people earn a pay cheque for knowing bugger all.

I remember TWC showing footage of CMLL but I wasn't paying any attention to it at the time, when was the footage from?

Started around January 2004 and continued on weekly from there until whenever it was cut a few months later. Can't remember exact dates, but probably around May - just prior to Mistico debuting.

Loads of your man Park on it too from what I remember. It started just in time to catch at least most of the excellent feud and matches w/ Shocker (yep, he was once great too!) against the Guerreros Del Infierno

Good times, but the weekly television was utter crap. It was the polar opposite to what CMLL have now; one hour - top two butchered matches and clips from another if you're lucky (often the Guapos University stuff). That was our lot, yet there was so much undoubtedly good stuff further down the cards.

Fortunately, that period coincided with a short-lived show specially made for some LA network turning up- "Sin Limite de Tiempo", which helped a bit as it was exclusively matches that didn't air on the televisa/TWC shows and we got three a week out of it.

Ah, I knew Shocker was a star at the time and kind of remember Park being about but never paid much attention to it. I might check some of it out.

I just did a Yotube search for 'Sin Limite de Tiempo' to see what came up and found that AAA cartoon series which now has google translate caption! That's my evening sorted.

Edited by Vamp

Ah, I knew Shocker was a star at the time and kind of remember Park being about but never paid much attention to it. I might check some of it out.

Aye, you should if you can find much. A lot of good stuff around that period. That goes for his whole career. A comp of his best stuff and major feuds showing his evolution from the early days to present would be fantastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if you prefer Park's current day stuff to when he was in CMLL though, but you'll still like it. He was still the same Park obviously, but there was little in the way of his great brawling, a bit less emphasis on him just flat out being the boss, and more on fitting into the environment and bringing the workrate as a flashy tecnico. It was kinda cool though, it was like seeing a whole new side to him that we'd never seen before, Needless to say, he excelled at that side of things too. He had some high profile singles matches back around then which were highly rated too; vs Dandy from an indie fed, a couple v Ultimo Guerrero in the provincial arenas, and at the big Anniversary show spring to mind (although that one was clipped to hell). They should all be up on youtube.

I loved Shocker. He was great fun, all the way from the mid 90s until he left for AAA a decade or so later. You'd definitely want to check out any of his stuff from back in the day. Masked or unmasked, rudo or tecnico, serious or comedy - he was a real highlight for me. Loads of great matches against the likes of Rey Bucanero, Tarzan Boy, Mr Niebla and Wagner. Actually, along with Park he'd quite easily be in my favourite 10 luchadors ever. Maybe even top 5. Great wrestler, look, gimmick, international experience, and with charisma just oozing from him. Speaks perfect English too. He had all the tools to do much better in the US than he did.

The CMLL roster was just ridiculously loaded back around that period.

PS. did you see that match signed for Blue Panthers anniversary show? Christ....

Edited by Reznor

Aye, I was going to mention that in the lucha thread. I didn;t think they'd top that maestro match from the Arena Coliseo show but that's an incredible line up. Gives me hope that there might be more build up for a possible Panther/Navarro match. Talking of the latter he's also got a match with Solar coming up in IWRG (their 560th probably) if that ever makes YouTube, which you know, given the way IWRG is with their TV shows who knows?

Cheers for the recommendations Reznor! To be honest I reckon I could watch Park do anything. I'm about to get Dandy vs. Park on the go. Got any Shocker matches I should be checking out?