UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

A couple of WCW closing questions if I may:

Who booked the final Nitro? Did the WWF have a heavy hand in dealing with promos/match results or did the WCW powers pretty much run the show?

How close was Eric Bischoff to buying WCW? I remember reading an interview with DDP where he said that the deal was done and that Bisch had TV stations ready to broadcast his new programme. If that was the case, why did it matter that Time Warner cancelled the show?

• Paid Members
A couple of WCW closing questions if I may:

Who booked the final Nitro? Did the WWF have a heavy hand in dealing with promos/match results or did the WCW powers pretty much run the show?

How close was Eric Bischoff to buying WCW? I remember reading an interview with DDP where he said that the deal was done and that Bisch had TV stations ready to broadcast his new programme. If that was the case, why did it matter that Time Warner cancelled the show?

With the booking, i would of thought WWE would of booked it, to have relevent champions holding the belts etc. I did here WWE booked sting vs flair as a tribute to them both, although i might have some wires crossed some where.

As for the purchase of WCW, i heard he had the TV time semi-booked with Hogan/Nash/ETc looking to come back, but was trying to sort of money, when WWE just walked in and bough the thing. I think with the Tv being off air, just didnt help, as aparently from what i've heard if its on TV allready its sort of half-proof that it'll draw. If its not on the air at all / Been cancelled, it's a bigger risk for TV companies to take, so they may not take it on for that purpose.

The story I remember was that Bischoff had a consortium together that was all poised to buy WCW, all the finance arranged, but then at the last minute Time Warner unbundled the tv time from the deal. Seeing as the tv slots were the most important asset, that sunk the deal.

When that failed, WCW had no buyers, and Vince then offered them $1 to take on all the losses, and got it!

Thats pretty much it, although to add Eric had partnered up with a Consortium who pulled out when there was no longer TV on AOL Time Warner stations. Eric then tried to secure a preliminary deal on another channel. I believe Fox, but that fell through or didnt happen in time when Vince picked things up for dirt dirt cheap. I think the total cost to him was under 2 million.

Hogan even said in his original biography and although he can be full of it (I cant see a reason to lie, plenty of people must think the same way) That if he had known the video library would come with it and on the success of the DVD market (it was only just beginning when this was written as well way before the triple disc DVDs came out) that he would have bought it just for that.

And lets face it who wouldn't WWE are only just capitalising on there vid library now with on-line streaming

• Paid Members

Going by what DDP has said though, the TV time wasn't that crucial because Bischoff already had other stations ready. I thought DDP and Bisch were close, but I guess Dallas got that a bit wrong.