UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

It's him coming into the ring and giving warrior the belt, so they were both getting the adulation, than it being seen as warrior standing alone.

• Paid Members

I still love that shot of Hogan's cart slowly carrying him back to the locker room as he stares sadly back at the ring, just as pyro's about to start popping for Woyah. As shit as it would have been if Hulkamania had ended in 1990 instead of ~NEVA!1~ that really would have been a cracking way to bow out.

• Paid Members

Aye. Plus it changed the story from Warrior beating Hogan, to how gracious Hogan was in defeat. In one of his books Hogan bragged about how he made sure that nobody was talking about Warrior after the match.

I don't know how much it mattered though, in all honesty. Even if Hogan had let him have his moment, Warrior still had no credible heels to defend against.

My first exposure to it en-mass will have been in the Attitude Era, but I do remember it happening occasionally during the New Generation days of the WWF and that time Sabu tried to break on RAW when he had a match against Flash Funk

Public Enemy were doing the smashing tables gimmick in 1994 in ECW and then took it to WCW in 1996, but the furthest back I've seen on a table spot was when Terry Funk a piledriver to Ric Flair in the double turn after Flair won the title from Ricky Steamboat at WrestleWar in 1989

I think the first one in modern-era WWF was Diesel putting Bret Hart through the commentary table at Survivor Series 1995.

I've seen clips of a fairly awkward one from the 80's at something like a Saturday Night's Main Event, but that appeared to happen by accident rather than as a planned spot.

• Paid Members

It's actually way way before that. From Slamthology:

For example, if you thought table spots were something new, this extract may surprise you. It’s taken from ‘Trouble in Paradise’, the autobiography of Irwin Stanton, who wrestled professionally in the 1930s, and went on to be one of the leading technicians behind the launch of network television (and one of the men responsible for the NTSC video system that has befuddled so many tape traders in Britain!)

"Another match was at the Oakland Athletic Club, where Max Baer and other boxers and wrestlers worked out. It also had tables around the ring. It was an exhibition match. We weakened the legs on a table next to the ring and put a Reserved sign next to it. During the match I made a flying tackle at my opponent, went through the ring ropes, and landed on my back on top the table. It collapsed. The audience went wild screaming and hollering."

• Paid Members

I think the first one in modern-era WWF was Diesel putting Bret Hart through the commentary table at Survivor Series 1995.

Hogan seemed to try to slam Earthquake through a table at SummerSlam '90 but it didn't break so he just kind of rolled off.

• Paid Members

He also dodged a head but from King Harley Race on an episode of Saturday Nights Main Event, the year of which escapes me but it will have been the back end of the 80s

Yeah, the incident fucked up Harley Race's stomach to such an extent that a colostomy bag was needed, supposedly.

• Paid Members

Funk gave flair the piledriver on one as part of that 89 run if I remember right. I say on as I don't remember them breaking the fucker but I could be wrong.

Sabu is credited with bringing it back with him as a bit from Japan and making them a common spot rather than a massive deal in interviews, putting himself through one just because.

Funk gave flair the piledriver on one as part of that 89 run if I remember right. I say on as I don't remember them breaking the fucker but I could be wrong.

Aye, immediatley after the Flair/Steamboat match with the two rings. The table didn't break, but the angle was still amazing.