UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Undertaker was supposedly gone after Summerslam 1996. Ending of the Mankind match was that Mankind had supposedly killed off the Undertaker. He was definately away to WCW.

Well, the ending that they actually went with clearly wasn't meant to be the end for him since he was on Raw the very next night, and I'm not having that him leaving was conveniently scuppered between a PPV and the next night's taping.

Yeah and surely having Paul Bearer turn on him meant they knew he definitely wasn't leaving. I doubt they'd shoot a huge angle like that if Undertaker was leaving anyway that night. What'd be the point? Having Bearer betray him was a real shocking storyline that was obviously going to lead to a shitload of fallout after SummerSlam.

I never even thought about Undertaker going to WCW back then, to be honest. Well I did in a 'imagine if that happened?' way but I just never ever looked at it as even remotely likely to happen. Undertaker just seemed like such a WWF guy to me. More than even Bret or Shawn despite the fact they'd both been there longer than Taker. Weird really because I knew Taker had wrestled in WCW as Mean Mark already yet I just saw him as WWF through and through by 96.

Taker wasnt happy the direction his charachter was taking in 99, not 96. He wasnt happy with all the personification of evil and sacrificing etc.....well thats what powerslam used to say. I imagine thats why he came back as a biker in 2000 after he had been out for a while. Would make sense.

• Paid Members

That and the fact that the character was arguably in need of a new direction having been champion three times and done everything there was to do as either babyface or heel by 2000. There were lots of guys up and down the card that had received a shot in the arm by just being "themselves with the volume turned up" as they say, and they knew that with the reputation the Undertaker had, he could still be "that guy" but by being more like himself rather than being the zombie/cult leader and it would freshen the character up a bit. I thought it was great, and it surprises me to hear that there are some people that didn't like it at the time, even if even I got a bit bored of it after a few years.

But I'm still not having that it was on the table in 1996 and he carried on with the dead man routine for another 3 years before going "Ermm.... come on guys, we've been talking about this for aaaaaaaages...."

Isnt there a promo on Raw from 1998 or 1999 where he kind of breaks character to some degree, was that foreshadowing?

He also wrestled on a UK show around the time in non taker gear which was questioned years later in power slam and reported as just being a luggage fuck up

• Paid Members

Isnt there a promo on Raw from 1998 or 1999 where he kind of breaks character to some degree, was that foreshadowing?

There is a TV episode in 1999 when he was still around though carrying an injury and hardly wrestling but before he actually fucked off to get better, where he comes out to do commentary on Big Show's match and he's sat at the desk with JR & Lawler in a very un-Satanic shades and bandana combo. In fact him repeatedly grumbling "Come on, Show!" I found unintentionally hilarious.

I'm sure that VHS was the first time I ever saw future hall of famer, Brakus.

Could easily have been the last time, too.

Isnt there a promo on Raw from 1998 or 1999 where he kind of breaks character to some degree, was that foreshadowing

You're probably thinking of the episode in 98 where he turned up in street clothes during a backstage brawl and attacked everyone. I remember it vividly because seeing Taker dressed in normal clothes was mind-blowing to us at the time. He went out to the ring with no music or entrance and cut a shoot promo on Vince. It was absolutely a prototype Biker Taker in every way.

I suppose this question is better here than anywhere else but what do WWE wrestlers eat and drink food wise? For example if they were at the 02 would the wrestlers eat food within the venue or after the show at the hotel?

Wasn't sure how strict a diet these guys are on? I know they do gym work pretty much every day and so on. Likewise how are matches planned? 

And before anyone says anything, I have no interest at all at becoming a wrestler just always wondered about that side of the business as these guys travel around a lot, are obviously in good shape and on the most part on the big side.

Looking at that mayhem in Manchester show. Does anyone know why for years on UK we shows I think until 2001 did we have the ring on a platform. Was the ring they used over here shorter or they thought we were? Or a possible show where loads of fans couldn't see well on the floor sparked it. Always hated it as it wasnt authentic to the TV in the us?

• Paid Members

I suppose this question is better here than anywhere else but what do WWE wrestlers eat and drink food wise? For example if they were at the 02 would the wrestlers eat food within the venue or after the show at the hotel?

Wasn't sure how strict a diet these guys are on? I know they do gym work pretty much every day and so on. Likewise how are matches planned?

And before anyone says anything, I have no interest at all at becoming a wrestler just always wondered about that side of the business as these guys travel around a lot, are obviously in good shape and on the most part on the big side.

WWE have hired caterers and from all reports they are fantastic and do pretty much everything. When Steve Corino had a WWE tryout he knew he wouldn't get a job so took loads of tupperware to bring food home with him.

Matches are planned by the wrestlers and an agent. The agents are former wrestlers like Dean Malenko and Fit Finlay.