UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Are there any examples of wrestlers with the gimmick of American football player, with the exception of Mr Touchdown in CHIKARA?  Thanks.

Nigh-on every cunt who wrestled on an American show where Jim Ross was commentating.

WCW Ron Simmons?

Did WCW ever make a play for The Undertaker on the Monday Night Wars. I'm watching RAW & Nitro from that era on the Network currently and a July 96 episode of RAW had a promo for the WWF Superstar-Line posing the question 'will Summerslam be The Undertaker's last match in WWF?'. Now I never called the Superstar-Line back in the day, but I imagined it would have been in full Kayfabe mode so it seems odd that they would suggest that Taker would be leaving before said match had happened

Did WCW ever make a play for The Undertaker on the Monday Night Wars. I'm watching RAW & Nitro from that era on the Network currently and a July 96 episode of RAW had a promo for the WWF Superstar-Line posing the question 'will Summerslam be The Undertaker's last match in WWF?'. Now I never called the Superstar-Line back in the day, but I imagined it would have been in full Kayfabe mode so it seems odd that they would suggest that Taker would be leaving before said match had happened

Apparently WCW wanted to bring him in as a biker under his real name. Taker wasn't happy with the direction of his character in the WWF hence giving him the biker gimmick.

• Paid Members

Undertaker was supposedly gone after Summerslam 1996. Ending of the Mankind match was that Mankind had supposedly killed off the Undertaker. He was definately away to WCW. Must have been a snag in the contract somewhere that meant it didn't happen.

I'm watching RAW & Nitro from that era on the Network currently and a July 96 episode of RAW had a promo for the WWF Superstar-Line posing the question 'will Summerslam be The Undertaker's last match in WWF?'

"Mean" Gene said basically the same thing on an advert for the WCW phone-line too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

This sounds like bollocks to me.

Now I never called the Superstar-Line back in the day, but I imagined it would have been in full Kayfabe mode so it seems odd that they would suggest that Taker would be leaving before said match had happened

In kayfabe, it very well could have been "will this be The Undertaker's last match in the WWF because that's how badly Mankind is going to batter him."

Apparently WCW wanted to bring him in as a biker under his real name. Taker wasn't happy with the direction of his character in the WWF hence giving him the biker gimmick.

Taker wasn't happy with the direction of his character in the summer of 1996, which is the time period up for discussion, so the WWF responded by changing his gimmick four years later?

Undertaker was supposedly gone after Summerslam 1996. Ending of the Mankind match was that Mankind had supposedly killed off the Undertaker. He was definately away to WCW.

Well, the ending that they actually went with clearly wasn't meant to be the end for him since he was on Raw the very next night, and I'm not having that him leaving was conveniently scuppered between a PPV and the next night's taping.

"Mean" Gene said basically the same thing on an advert for the WCW phone-line too.

Gene made loads of bullshit up on his hotline, anything to get people to call and/or watch Nitro. There's even a chance somebody at WCW saw the Raw in question and heard JR ask "could this be the Undertaker's last match in the WWF" and thought "Fuck me, they're giving us a story here, let's pretend he's coming here!!"

Unless someone's got any Observer quotes from the time or a Butch or Ian can at least tell me they read it in the Observer at the time, I'm not buying it.

Does anyone have an idea of Power Slam magazine's circulation figures?

I started buying it in 1996. 1 or 2 copies available in one local newsagent and WH Smith. Fast forward to the Austin Wrestlemania victory and it seemed there was piles of them everywhere.

Taker wasn't happy with the direction of his character in the summer of 1996, which is the time period up for discussion, so the WWF responded by changing his gimmick four years later?

Yep. He signed a big new deal with the promise of a gimmick change at some point in the future when it best suited both parties.