UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

How does the WWE stock work? Theoretically, could someone come along and buy enough stock in the company to oust t'old Vince, or are there safeguards built in to protect that?

* To clarify, I have no idea how ANY stocks and shares work!

• Paid Members

They only release a finite amount of stock for public purchase. I believe Vince is far and away the largest share holder. That may have changed, when he liquidated a good portion in order to fund his XFL venture. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

How does the WWE stock work? Theoretically, could someone come along and buy enough stock in the company to oust t'old Vince, or are there safeguards built in to protect that?

* To clarify, I have no idea how ANY stocks and shares work!

There are class ‘A’ shares and class ‘B’ shares. Class ‘A’ shares is the “common” stock and available to purchase via a broker, but the McMahon family almost exclusively hold the class ‘B’ shares, which hold 10 times the voting power of class ‘A’ shares. So whilst Vince owns less than 50% of WWE’s stock, his class ‘B’ shares still give him the majority in voting power.

So whilst theoretically someone could buy more shares than Vince, they won’t be able to buy enough to out-vote him. Also, they wouldn’t be able to do it under the nose of the McMahons without drawing their attention.

Edited by Your Fight Site

Does anyone know if there is a bona fide reason Victoria is never included in WWE stuff?

This came to mind back in January when they had a Divas reunion on Raw 25 and then brought back numerous women from Victoria’s era for the Royal Rumble.

She was a multi time Champion and is still active, but is never used by WWE. Seems odd. 

I don’t think so.

She appeared on Terri Runnels podcast addressing rumours she was in line for the role of Sister Abigail last year and said “I was hoping to get the call but it never came”.

Also last year she attended the SmackDown show with the women’s Money In The Bank ladder match and tweeted that she wanted to congratulate the girls “but the office said I couldn’t go backstage”.

Thirdly, She was tweeting around last year’s WrestleMania weekend that she was unable to get Hall of Fame tickets.

The likes of Kelly Kelly have done Table For 3, appeared as a returning legend at Raw 25, and got a spot in the Women’s Royal Rumble. There must be a reason why a multi-time Champion whose WWE career lasted twice as long as some of the others has not been included in anything at all during the Women’s Evolution that they have been hyping for the last 3 years.

Does anyone know or remember what other wrestling shows outside of WWF and WCW were on satellite/ terrestrial TV around 1990-1993 time? 

If I'm correct there was WCCW on one of the satellite channels. 

Also does anyone have a list of the non WWF & WCW wrestling VHS releases in the UK? 

I know of the Pro Wrestling USA, international american wrestling (70s promotion with Mil Mascaras) USWA, some Britwres tapes like one with Mick McManus on the cover & one with Vader on ( think its Otto Wanz promotion). Think there's one with Abdullah on too. 

Last question, does anyone know when the WWF was first shown in the UK?. A definitive date or year would be good as I've heard mixed things with it being shown as early as 1985. Were the PPVs shown too like WrestleMania and outside of WOS appearances did BBC or Channel 4 show it? I know they did a UK show in 1989 so did they come over before then? 

Also if anyone has any other info about US pro wrestling first appearing in the UK (live or TV) or any other related information that would be real interesting. 

Thanks

• Paid Members

Sky had WWF from either 84 or 85. At that point it was cable only unless you had a humongous satellite dish. In 1989 Sky switched to the ‘minidish’ which goes on the side of your house, which massively expanded the audience.  I believe they had the weekly programming on a heavy delay until around 88/89 when they caught up. They showed the pay-per-views though (other than WrestleMania 3 which was apparently live) they were all on some form of delay until 1990.

WWF had a half dozen or so shows which aired in the main British wrestling ITV slot on Saturdays in 1978 and 1988. There was also some other US stuff on ITV (the following summary taken from itvwrestling.co.uk):

Central and Tyne Tees began airing late-night/early-morning WWF tapes from late 1987. While billed as Superstars of Wrestling, the tapes were actually a repackaged version of Wrestling Challenge. The matches appear to have been recorded between spring of 1987 and spring 1988, but were not necessarily shown in order. The earliest match we have traced (which aired on the debut episode) appears to have been Raymond Rougeau v Bret Hart from either Houston on 19 October 2006 or Madison Square Garden the following day. Also on the show was Hulk Hogan & Rick Steamboat vs Randy Savage and the Honky Tonky Man from the Meadowlands Arena on 5 January 1987 and Outback Jack v Jimmy Jack Funk from the Boston Garden on 7 March 1987.

The same tapes aired on Thames/LWT from June-88 to April 89.

Central showed tapes from several US promotions, including Professional Wrestling from Florida (from the first half of 1989), Global Wrestling (Florida version, not the later Dallas group), and matches from the AWA/World Class/Memphis partnership of late 1988.

Thames/LWT showed NWA/WCW wrestling from January 1990. Although these were still billed as Superstars of Wrestling, the shows were repackaged versions of NWA Power Hour, originally taped between July and December 1989. A second run of 1990 tapes aired between the summer and autumn of 1990.

In the summer of 1991, several episodes of NWA television from mid-1990 aired on Thames/LWT on Saturday nights.

From September 1991, most ITV regions began airing relatively up-to-date WCW Worldwide shows eary on Sunday mornings, though there was no consistent timeslot.

LWT repeated one match each Sunday afternoon in the Sharp's Funday show.

From Spring 1992, a repackaged version of Worldwide begain airing nationally on Saturday afternoons. From July 1994, the show would feature highlights of recent pay-per-view events. WCW was dropped by ITV in 1995.

BBC never showed WWF. Channel 4 had Heat and four of the pay-per-views each year in 2000 and 2001.

WCW was also on BSB, the big rival to Sky. After BSB and Sky merged, Sky showed it for a little while before dropping it. They also showed early 1990s WCW (possibly the same footage?) around 2002 ish as part of the WWE Classics slot that later became 82-83 WWF TV.

Lifestyle showed old World Class while Screensport later showed USWA (from Dallas rather than Memphis.)

As for VHS tapes (and not including ECW) I have/know of:

• Four USWA (Dallas) compilations
  • A series called SuperStar USA Championship Wrestling which was old episodes/taping tapes of Mid-Atlantic’s World Wide Wrestling show from the early 80s, some with commentary and some without.
  • Wrestling’s Classic Matches: Jake The Snake, a compilation of World Class matchews.
  • Wrestle Madness/The Best of Wrestling: each with four matches from Reslo (S4C, the Welsh Channel 4’s show from Orig Williams) and one from CWA (Otto Wanz’s group)
  • Mick McManus World of Wrestling: a five match All Star show taped at Croydon just after ITV dropped wrestling
  • An early 80s TV show pilot promoted by Jackie Pallo and son, later released on Betamax
  • All Star American Wrestling: two volumes combining footage from Kit Parker library (Mid South, Memphis and Indianapolis WWA tapes) and IWCCW (northeast indy group)
  • Kings of the Square Ring: tape combining kickboxing, boxing and various Inoki vs martial artist matches
  • One or two tapes of IWA (an ‘outlaw’ group from the mid 70s)
  • Wrestling Massacres (the one with Abdullah, I think a compilation of Montreal territory stuff but not 100% sure)
  • Bumps, Brutes and Bandages (clips from Global Wrestling Federation in Dallas)

That's great, many thanks for answering my questions. I believe the IWA is this promotion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Wrestling_Association_(1970s)

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2010/02/21/12974716.html

They were I think released in different volumes with different color covers. If I'm right there's like seven different tapes. Vol 4 has Ernie Ladd, Mil Mascaras, Dino Bravo and I believe Andre in a interview. 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

Why would Nailz get so angry about some nothing match with Virgil at Summerslam 1992?

He thinks Vince screwed him over on his payoff.

They then had an altercation (Nailz choked Vince out) and he was then fired.