UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Possibly quite an obscure one, but...

Several times, I've seen it referenced that Vader's gimmick was originally modelled around a figure from Japanese culture or folklore. Problem is, attempting to research this, the only references to it are claims from wrestling websites or Wikipedia, saying Vader was named after this legendary figure - it's all just circular references back to the same one or two wrestling sources.

Is anyone aware, anywhere, of the actual folklore or legendary figure Vader is supposed to be referencing? Because it doesn't seem to come up anywhere except stories about the wrestler, which leads me to think it's a story that's been passed down without anyone ever checking to see if it's actually the case.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Possibly quite an obscure one, but...

Several times, I've seen it referenced that Vader's gimmick was originally modelled around a figure from Japanese culture or folklore. Problem is, attempting to research this, the only references to it are claims from wrestling websites or Wikipedia, saying Vader was named after this legendary figure - it's all just circular references back to the same one or two wrestling sources.

Is anyone aware, anywhere, of the actual folklore or legendary figure Vader is supposed to be referencing? Because it doesn't seem to come up anywhere except stories about the wrestler, which leads me to think it's a story that's been passed down without anyone ever checking to see if it's actually the case.

Was the character based on an actual mythical person or just an amalgamation of different legendary samurai? I'm probably remembering this wrong, but I though the big metal mask was just based on samurai headgear in general, rather than an actual headpiece from history/legend.

• Paid Members

The closest to an actual story I've found is that "Vader" was a "a top warrior who once fought for his village seventy-two hours straight" (according to a book referenced on Wikipedia), though there doesn't seem to be any reference beyond that, and "Vader" isn't a remotely Japanese sounding name. Apparently (according to someone on Reddit) on a podcast, Vader mentioned "a tournament to the death of Samurai on an Island", but it does just seem to be an amalgamation of random samurai bits.

I think you're probably right that it's just a general samurai vibe, but I've seen the suggestion that the character - or the name, whether it be "Big Van" or "Big Bang" Vader - was specifically in reference to a figure in either Japanese culture or mythology, but given the complete lack of an actual reference point, it seems unlikely.

On 20/02/2018 at 7:24 PM, air_raid said:

His hair vs hair match against X-Pac at SummerSlam 98 is really fun. Helps that it's Kid, obviously. Can't work against Kid, can't work.

No one tell Jericho

Nowhere to fit on the card? Shawn & Bret were obviously out, they didn't want to hotshot the match with Kane, what else do you do with him at the time?Hes better than the USA v Canada stuff, doesn't really fit into the match featuring Shamrock, LOD and Ahmed Johnson v NOD, plus you've got the big rematch between Austin & Owen. I know he returned the next night on RAW m, but that was to start the build for Wrestlemania against Kane. If you were to try and bring him back any earlier with what they had for that card, your shoehorning him in for the hell of it

• Paid Members

Selling the shock of Kane turning up, was how I always looked at it. Was off being sad/shocked/soul searching. In reality, they were probably giving him a rest given he was pretty banged up by the back end of 97.

Edited by mim731
spelling

Watching some episodes of Nitro from early 1998, occasionally there's a weird werewolf-looking creature hovering around the ramp/entrance way. I've spotted him a few times now, creeping around in various brightly-coloured outfits, but none of the wrestlers pay him any attention whatsoever. Anyone know what the deal is? Was it ever acknowledged by anybody? Was there some sort of storyline explanation for why it was there?