UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

From what I understand, any title defence would have to go through WWE - the only times it's been defended outside of WWE are once in ICW by Pete Dunne, and by Tyler Bate once in PROGRESS. Most of the times I've seen Pete or Tyler while either was champ, they weren't carrying the title, as far as I can remember, so it may be that they're only able to use the title at all on shows preapproved by WWE - though others who go to shows far more regularly than me would be better positioned to verify that.

WWE don't have to approve all of Dunne's (or any of their UK guys) bookings, but they are able to pull Dunne from previously arranged bookings if they need him for a show. Not having to approve Dunne's bookings does lead to some fantastically surreal bookings, though - like British Strong Style vs. The Elite for Fight Club Pro, where three WWE-contracted talents (including a current champion) faced off against three NJPW contracted talent on another promotion's show entirely, in a tiny venue in Wolverhampton. The sort of thing which, on paper, would have been unthinkable just a year or two ago.

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

From what I understand, any title defence would have to go through WWE - the only times it's been defended outside of WWE are once in ICW by Pete Dunne, and by Tyler Bate once in PROGRESS. Most of the times I've seen Pete or Tyler while either was champ, they weren't carrying the title, as far as I can remember, so it may be that they're only able to use the title at all on shows preapproved by WWE - though others who go to shows far more regularly than me would be better positioned to verify that.

WWE don't have to approve all of Dunne's (or any of their UK guys) bookings, but they are able to pull Dunne from previously arranged bookings if they need him for a show. Not having to approve Dunne's bookings does lead to some fantastically surreal bookings, though - like British Strong Style vs. The Elite for Fight Club Pro, where three WWE-contracted talents (including a current champion) faced off against three NJPW contracted talent on another promotion's show entirely, in a tiny venue in Wolverhampton. The sort of thing which, on paper, would have been unthinkable just a year or two ago.

Thank you, sir.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, platt222 said:

I believe the last would be Brock beating Angle in the Iron Man Match on Smackdown in 2003.

That can't be right can it? Surely all the title changes on Smackdown between then and it going live only a year or so back would have been on tape delay. Swagger in 2010 being the last I can recall, but there are surely a good few in the past 14 years, maybe even more recently.   

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, mim731 said:

That can't be right can it? Surely all the title changes on Smackdown between then and it going live only a year or so back would have been on tape delay. Swagger in 2010 being the last I can recall, but there are surely a good few in the past 14 years, maybe even more recently.   

The World Heavyweight title changed on SmackDown a few times, but I can believe 2003 as the last time for the WWE Title because that belt moved over to Raw with Cena in 2005 and was there a fair bit of the time until the brand unsplit, so would have only been defended live a lot of the time.

I've never heard any reasoning as to why Survivor Series 1992 didn't have any elimination matches (I know they had a sort-of-SS match with the tag teams). It's never come up on any podcasts or in any magazines/books I read. 

The logical reasoning, looking at the roster at the time, is that it simply wasn't deep enough to go all-in with the elimination matches as in previous years. 

I just rememeber as a kid being really confused when the whole format of the show changed. 

Is there a story there?

• Paid Members

They started playing with it early on. Match of survival in 1990, introducing a World Title match in 1991 and then all change in 1992. I've always thought the novelty of the tag matches wore off and they thought a regular PPV was the answer. Not sure they ever stopped looking.