UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Where's the best place to find old indy matches?

Looking to watch back some old Joe, Punk, Bryan, Rollins etc. ROH matches.

Also wanting to watch some old CHIKARA events if anyone can direct me?

4 hours ago, FUM said:

Where's the best place to find old indy matches?

Looking to watch back some old Joe, Punk, Bryan, Rollins etc. ROH matches.

Also wanting to watch some old CHIKARA events if anyone can direct me?

If you have an account at XWT, you can get Complete Years of ROH in the 'Packs' section. All packs are under the Freeleech rule too, so you don't need to worry about download ratios and stuff like that to keep your account active. If your just after particular matches rather than the full years worth, you can just download the relevant show from the pack.

CHIKARA have a VOD service, although I'm not sure how far back it goes. I'm sure you'd be able to get stuff of theirs from XWT too

Anything in particular you're referring to Baz? Or do you mean who they blatantly stole it from UWFI/New Japan?

WCW could have been sued a whole bunch of times over various things: Their blatant knockoff themes, like when Dave Ghrol was on the tonight show the same time as DDP and said "well...that's me phoning my lawyer in the morning"; Sting blatantly mascarading as The Crow was lucky to not get sued by James O'Barr

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I assume he means the implication that Hall and Nash were still working for the WWF when they showed up?

Because, if I remember correctly, the WWF did sue for trademark infringement.

• Paid Members

WCW were, I believe, already suing WWF for those Billionaire Ted skits though, so I imagine the lawsuits counteracted each other in the grand scheme of things. That's also presumably why Hall and Nash had to explicitly state they were not working for WWF at GAB 96.   

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2017 at 11:49 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

Their blatant knockoff themes, like when Dave Ghrol was on the tonight show the same time as DDP and said "well...that's me phoning my lawyer in the morning"; 

Would have been a cringeworthy situation. Anything come of it? Thanks!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I don't recall reading anything else about afterwards, so I assume one of two things happened. Either they came to some sort of agreement as you had DDP with a knockoff of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' while Raven's theme was a knockoff of 'Come As You Are' (which itself was a bit of a knockoff of Killing Joke's 'Eighties') and Ghrol/the relevant writer got a flat fee, or Ghrol took a step back, settled down and decided he wouldn't take it to court rather than lose to an outcome of "they're similar, but different enough". I reckon his management/label would have paid his court fees, but he probably just decided he couldn't be bothered with the hassle as its not like he needed the money, it was more just the principle of the matter

Edited by WyattSheepMask

On the what happened when DDP episode, Tony S says his lawyers did get in touch but jimmy hart had been smart enough to make it just enough different that it could be claimed as an original 

On 6 June 2017 at 11:41 AM, simonworden said:

Back in the attitude era and possibly before most UK televised events from WWF had a massive platform around the ring. Was there any particular reason for this as it wasn't common for the usual stateside shows?

It did seem odd as it would have raised it off the ground, so people sitting at ringside will have had a shocking view.

They did work the riser into the match a couple of times though, Savage v Warrior at Summerslam 92 and Michaels v Bulldog at One Night Only being prime examples

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Abe Mikkel said:

I remember a platform leading up to the ring at apron level on some WCW shows. Used to be different and they used to use the on the outside and people could get  clothes-lined into the ring. 

Different kind of platform to the one being discussed, but I fucking LOVED that raised ramp back then. Recreated it with my Hasbro ring using video cassettes.

ECW used one on occasion too, IIRC? And TNA did too, now I think of it.