UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Anybody know who is the second-longest Intercontinental Champion in the record books?Thank you.

Curiously I was looking at this the other day. Not sure how accurate it is, but it should hopefully be of use.
Thanks for that.I'd have thought it was somebody more modern that Pedro Morales though. I thought it was The Rock.Good stuff for finding the page there. Edited by bAzTNM

Just 2 questions cos I can't remember the others I had stored up to ask:1. When someone's doing a promo (e.g. Triple H on the SmackDown just gone), there's often a little black box under one of the turnbuckles in the ring. What on earth is it for?2. What can anyone tell me about WWF releases receiving 'Except from Classification' ratings from the BBFC? How did they get away with it? Did the BBFC think wrestling was a legit sport? How long did it last and when/why was it revoked? It's especially perplexing when a show like Rock Bottom IYH had violence, blood, bad language, a strip tease, and even attempted murder on 2 occasions! Even on it's DVD re-release in 2001ish, it still got an E rating.Ta muchly.

• Paid Members

the black box i believe is a speaker

What purpose does it serve though? My mate says it's so they can hear themselves speak in the ring, but that doesn't make much sense to me...
Yep, it's a monitor so you can hear yourself (and, probably more importantly, someone else in the ring with you) clearly. Same principle as using monitors so a band can hear themselves on stage. Edited by Statto

Anyone able to answer my question on the BBFC classification? Or indeed any information on BBFC clasification of WWF/E (e.g. why some 2004 release got 18s (WM XX etc), when the content seemed no worse than 15 rated material from 2003, and then they slacked off again)?Cheers.

It's complicated. The BBFC doesn't issue E certificates. There are certain categories into which things are assumed to be exempt from classification (sport is the most obvious), but the producer is expected to submit it for classification if he thinks there may be an issue. I expect that's what happened with Summerslam '88, which featured some blood and Liz's legs and was a 15 on release. Since wrestling was for all intents a purposes a sport (and presumably there were no complaints) the BBFC let it go.Latterly, when things started getting a bit wilder, the WWF started getting everything classified, as with the blood, bad language and more extreme violence (especially man-on-woman violence), they didn't have a choice.Why some things get one certificate and others get another is down to a whole lot of specifics - number of bad words and their severity ("shit" is not as bad as "fuck" is not as bad as "cunt"), severity of violence (amount of blood, mostly, but also how risky various stunts are - fire and thumbtacks would obviously rate worse than hitting someone in the guts with a 2x4), and whether there's any sexual controversy (actual sexual content of various types and, worst of all, men beating up women).

• Paid Members

For some reason, I've just remembered the Undertakers old post match ritual of stuffing his prone opponent in a body bag. When did he stop doing that? It was a pretty cool gimmick, I thought. I remember when i was a kid, i made one out of a bin bag, selotape & velcro so I could have body bag matches with my old Hasbro figures.Then I remembered other post match insults, Ted DiBiase's dollar bills, the NWO's spray paint, Beefcake's hair snip and, of course, Jake's snake.All very effective gimmicks. I can't think of anyone who's used anything similar recently. Is there someone I'm forgetting?

I remembered other post match insults, Ted DiBiase's dollar bills, the NWO's spray paint, Beefcake's hair snip and, of course, Jake's snake.All very effective gimmicks. I can't think of anyone who's used anything similar recently. Is there someone I'm forgetting?

There was Carlito and his apple...EDIT: In WCW, Johnny B. Badd also had "The Kiss That Don't Miss". Edited by freaky_jason

• Paid Members

The first time I saw WWF TV (other than in the old ITV slot) was an episode of Superstars of Wrestling. Everyone at my school was talking about WWF at the time. I tuned in and saw DiBiase win a match and stuff a banknote in someone's mouth, then Jake won a match and did the snake deal. I decided it was a load of childish crap and decided not to watch again.A year later however...

• Paid Members

Horses for courses, but I really thought the post match shenanigans added to it. The bank note especially was quite insulting.The fact Taker always picked the opponent up and carried them to the back whilst in the bodybag really added to his character, I thought.Oh, and to revisit my original post - does anyone remember when Taker dropped the body bag gimmick? I've got a feeling it was probably around about the time he was feuding with Warrior but I can't remember.

Edited by elegia

Horses for courses, but I really thought the post match shenanigans added to it. The bank note especially was quite insulting.The fact Taker always picked the opponent up and carried them to the back whilst in the bodybag really added to his character, I thought.Oh, and to revisit my original post - does anyone remember when Taker dropped the body bag gimmick? I've got a feeling it was probably around about the time he was feuding with Warrior but I can't remember.

Was it not when he turned face over the Elizabeth dealy?