The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Started reading Garth Ennis's run on The Punisher (Punisher Max) this week. Had never read any Punisher previously. Really enjoying it. The Vietnam sections are great. I'm watching the Netflix Punisher at the same time but it's so different to Punisher Max that it's no biggie. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Finished a re-read of Watchmen last night. It's still good all these years on and feels very modern and ahead of it's time. I skipped all the end-of-chapter essays though, they were chore to get through the first time, especially that fucking Owl thesis.

One thing I noticed though which I hadn't really caught onto before, is that it's quite misogynistic. Most of the women are portrayed in a negative light and the lack of closure or proper explanation behind Sally's arc was quite frustrating. Anybody else pick up on this or am I looking too much into it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 8/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, Accident Prone said:

One thing I noticed though which I hadn't really caught onto before, is that it's quite misogynistic. Most of the women are portrayed in a negative light and the lack of closure or proper explanation behind Sally's arc was quite frustrating. Anybody else pick up on this or am I looking too much into it?

It's, unfortunately, quite common with a lot of Alan Moore's work, particularly around that time - Killing Joke being another example.

He's got better over time, but he tends to fall back on rape/abuse as a backstory, and thinking that making a woman a "bad-ass" is an adequate replacement for character development.

Speaking of Affable Alan, I picked up the first issue of the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series. League is one of my favourite comics ever, so I'm biased, but I enjoyed it so far, but there's precious little to go on. As ever, the art style and the way he plays with the medium is at least as interesting as the story, and he's specifically modelled parts of it around old three-panel newspaper strips and black and white British comics, which is a nice touch. 

• Paid Members

I too really enjoyed The Boys, despite it being stretched thin a bit in the final third. I couldn't wrap my head around some of the government agency stuff either.

What's the crack with Jimmy Bastards then? I'll rely on the good bunch on here for a recommendation.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 4 weeks later...

I went down to Orbital Comics yesterday as it was Walking Dead Day, there had blind bag variants of key issues for sale at £3 each, I opened them all up today and I got the one below which has actually been sketched by the artist, I checked around google and have been told it’s extremely rare, went on eBay and it’s currenty going for £300! Mental I only got it for £3

DpelAThXUAEupm2?format=jpg&name=medium

15 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I went down to Orbital Comics yesterday as it was Walking Dead Day, there had blind bag variants of key issues for sale at £3 each, I opened them all up today and I got the one below which has actually been sketched by the artist, I checked around google and have been told it’s extremely rare, went on eBay and it’s currenty going for £300! Mental I only got it for £3

Is there a list of all the variants anywhere?

2 minutes ago, DJM said:

Is there a list of all the variants anywhere?

The video below shows the normal variants - the most common, the rest have the same art work but are as followed:

Normal Variant cover in colour, virgin cover (just the art, no credits or title) black and white cover, black and white virgin cover and sketch variants (1:100 comic which is the rarest)

I got a copy of each issue and ended up with that sketch one.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

After listening to The Totally Football Show pod recently, I picked up the "reboot" of Roy of the Rovers last week. I really enjoyed it. It looks great, as you'd expect, but they've really thought about the story and how to stay true to some of the elements of the past, which they do through some characters and rivalries, while putting a modern spin on it. It's as ridiculous as it should be but has an element of reality with Roy being a part carer for his Dad who has had a stroke and is in a wheelchair. Some lovely dry humour too. Only cost £4 but then only took about half an hour to read through.

image.thumb.png.5d7d789b1d9bafe68aa2c26c34bf35e8.png

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If I really enjoyed the Into The Spider-Verse film, which comic collections involving one or more of the various Spider-Folk should I read?

Brian Michael Bendis's 'Ultimate Spider-Man' run would be the best series. The later volumes of the original run are the debut of Miles Morales (in an alternate universe), and then it has a soft-reboot when he's brought into the main Marvel universe - this is just called 'Spider-Man', but it runs 2016-2018. It also ends up including the original Spider-verse comic (which is a whole heap of fun) - but if you want some of that Miles Morales goodness, go with Ultimate Spider-Man.

Edited by Chris B
Clarifying the titles of the series.