The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

10 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

@NoUseforaUsernameI think the Peado thing goes back to them 13 or 14 year old girls who looked at you and you thought they clearly fancied you. 

I wasn't looking at them, though, so I'm confused about the whole "pedo" thing.

And, she clearly found me attractive (not that I give a shit), but I take an ego boost out of it - same as if it was a man or an old woman.

*I know the difference between being ogled for an uncomfortable amount of time and someone seeing you in their peripheral vision; guess you had to be there.

16 hours ago, Fox Piss said:

Do they have a DNA sample off the Zodiac? 

The Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski, was linked to the killings.

Arthur Leigh Allen is who it was commonly believed to be, but that's mainly because Robert Graysmith pinned a lot of circumstantial evidence on him, and a lot of people hitched their wagon to that due to his book and the movie that was based on it.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• Paid Members

Having mentioned The Beast of Jersey in the Films thread, and this thread having gone in a serial killer-y direction - is there any real knowledge of this case outside of the Channel Islands? I've always assumed not.

The Beast of Jersey was Edward Paisnel, a serial rapist of women and children in Jersey between 1960 and 1971, and suspect of at least one unsolved murder case in the '60s. In addition, a man who spent 30 years in prison for stabbing his 11 year old sister to death in 1965 has claimed that Paisnel was actually the one responsible.
His wife owned a children's home, and he was known to visit there and play Santa Claus, and most likely visited Haut De La Garenne (the children's care home that got a lot of press as the centre of Jersey's historical child abuse enquiry a few years back). So it ties into familiar themes of long-term neglect and corruption in an insular society.

What makes him stand out as more than just a run of the mill wrong'un, though, is that he styled himself as this monster. "The Beast of Jersey" was a name he gave himself in a letter to the press - it's been claimed that the police found a shed in the woods full of satanic and occult paraphernalia, where he would sacrifice small animals prior to his attacks, and that he believed he was the reincarnation of Gilles de Rais, the 15th century occultist and child murderer, though it's hard to know how much of that was just gossip or invented in various sensationalist books about him (his wife's book is the most cited source, and most likely largely fiction).

He would wear a horrific, torn up rubber mask, with a black woman's wig on top of it, like a sort of proto-Michael Myers. He wore a leather trenchcoat with nails in the lapels, and leather wristbands studded with nails. There are accounts of men who stayed at his house overnight while doing building work waking up to him leering over them in the mask, though several of his victims said he never actually wore it during the act. All very, very odd.

One of the sadder sides of the story - and one that really illustrates the sort of insular community it was happening in - is that suspicion first fell on a man called Alphonse Le Gastelois, seemingly for no reason other than him being a bit of an oddball who vaguely matched the police description of the Beast (in that he wore a dirty old raincoat). He was arrested and let off due to lack of evidence, but public opinion was so against him that his cottage was burned down, and the arson never satisfactorily investigated. His was the only suspect's name released to the public, and the police did nothing to silence gossip about him being responsible long after they had decided he wasn't a suspect. He went into self-imposed exile as a hermit on a small island for 14 years, with no running water or electricity.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Having mentioned The Beast of Jersey in the Films thread, and this thread having gone in a serial killer-y direction - is there any real knowledge of this case outside of the Channel Islands? I've always assumed not.

The Beast of Jersey was Edward Paisnel, a serial rapist of women and children in Jersey between 1960 and 1971, and suspect of at least one unsolved murder case in the '60s. In addition, a man who spent 30 years in prison for stabbing his 11 year old sister to death in 1965 has claimed that Paisnel was actually the one responsible.
His wife owned a children's home, and he was known to visit there and play Santa Claus, and most likely visited Haut De La Garenne (the children's care home that got a lot of press as the centre of Jersey's historical child abuse enquiry a few years back). So it ties into familiar themes of long-term neglect and corruption in an insular society.

What makes him stand out as more than just a run of the mill wrong'un, though, is that he styled himself as this monster. "The Beast of Jersey" was a name he gave himself in a letter to the press - it's been claimed that the police found a shed in the woods full of satanic and occult paraphernalia, where he would sacrifice small animals prior to his attacks, and that he believed he was the reincarnation of Gilles de Rais, the 15th century occultist and child murderer, though it's hard to know how much of that was just gossip or invented in various sensationalist books about him (his wife's book is the most cited source, and most likely largely fiction).

He would wear a horrific, torn up rubber mask, with a black woman's wig on top of it, like a sort of proto-Michael Myers. He wore a leather trenchcoat with nails in the lapels, and leather wristbands studded with nails. There are accounts of men who stayed at his house overnight while doing building work waking up to him leering over them in the mask, though several of his victims said he never actually wore it during the act. All very, very odd.

One of the sadder sides of the story - and one that really illustrates the sort of insular community it was happening in - is that suspicion first fell on a man called Alphonse Le Gastelois, seemingly for no reason other than him being a bit of an oddball who vaguely matched the police description of the Beast (in that he wore a dirty old raincoat). He was arrested and let off due to lack of evidence, but public opinion was so against him that his cottage was burned down, and the arson never satisfactorily investigated. His was the only suspect's name released to the public, and the police did nothing to silence gossip about him being responsible long after they had decided he wasn't a suspect. He went into self-imposed exile as a hermit on a small island for 14 years, with no running water or electricity.

I've got the book his wife wrote, obviously child rape and murder is bad enough by itself but the whole get up he used to wear just makes it seem that little bit more worse, the picture of him in the mask on the front cover still creeps me out when i think about.

Probably the most disturbing murder I've ever read about. I'm shocked I never heard about it until I read this excellently researched article. A young boy was sacrificed by an older boy in a satanic murder in 70's Ireland. :(

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/06/22/the-devil-is-in-the-detail/

The perpetrator still alive and well, and in a high paying job in Britain.

• 1 month later...

This could have gone in a number of threads but I've chosen this one. Fortune tellers / psychics always remind me that humans are scum and have a whole industry whose purpose is to profit from peoples grief and loss.

My ire in this situation could perhaps be focussed elsewhere but fuck 'em.  My gf is one of those people who sees magic and wonder all around.  She likes crafting faerie gardens and loves Disney, it's fair to say that she is optimistic.  Because she is open minded about such things, she doesn't share my hatred for the charlatans and frauds who do events and readings and all that bollocks.  Her mother and sister go to psychic nights regularly and went to one recently.

During this reading/event, the performer turned to my gfs sister and started her patter.  It's my understanding that they've seen this performer a few times so isn't beyond credibility that they build up little CVs of their regulars in venues for future use.  She said to her sister that she was one of two, so she said yes she has a sister.  The performer asked if she lived apart from her, now to me that's so open ended and ambiguous. So my gfs sister replied that they do live apart as she lives up in Manchester.  The performer then replied to her "Don't worry, you won't be apart for much longer"

Now, my girlfriend has taken this to mean one of two things.  She is either going to die soon or me and her are going to break up resulting in her moving back down to her mums.  Since being told this, I feel like she has accepted it as fact and is unwittingly looking for arguments that aren't there or engineering disagreement without realising.  She is of a very nervous disposition and as a result of stress, occasionally gets a pack of cigarettes.  Now, I've recently been told I have TB so as a result I can't really be around smokers, something I've been saying for about a year to her due to the shitness of my lungs but now I've got TB it's a definite no no.  I can't help but feel if this is almost subconsciously doing things to make what some fucking charlatan liar come true, the way people do with horoscopes (Ooh it said I'm going on a trip soon and I do need to head into town, that kind of bollocks).  Either way, I can't help feel it's a coincidence this shit is happening after what she was told after the performance her family went to.

In closing, Clairvoyants and psychics are cunts.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In closing, Clairvoyants and psychics are cunts.

100%.

If it weren't for the fact that it would involve giving money to one of these pricks, I've always wanted to go to one of their shows in the hope I get picked from the audience and asked questions, bullshit them the whole way, and then say, "oh, sorry, did you say Dave? I thought you said Steve, no I don't know a Dave", or somesuch. For all the good that would do.

They're exploitative cunts taking advantage of the yearning for answers/the spiritual. Most Fortean topics are equally rife with that sort of thing, but none so openly taking advantage of people's better nature as this shower of bastards.

I do have a friend that does Tarot readings, and they're incredibly entertaining, but he refuses to accept money from them and will flat out tell you that they don't tell you the future. 

54 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

If it weren't for the fact that it would involve giving money to one of these pricks, I've always wanted to go to one of their shows in the hope I get picked from the audience and asked questions, bullshit them the whole way, and then say, "oh, sorry, did you say Dave? I thought you said Steve, no I don't know a Dave", or somesuch. For all the good that would do.

YES, I've thought the same but as you say it would mean giving them money.  It's normally a kindly U Ok Hun in every office in the country who will profess how their one is different and they've been going to them for years and always get something right.  I wonder how they are able to know so much information about a regular client?

Funnily enough, my girlfriend is a holistic therapist, but she makes it explicitly clear that it's complimentary medicine and is there to help with what your GP has recommended.  A vegan diet won't cure cancer, despite what that Avocado Wolfe wanker says.