Power Trip Wrestling - "Against The World"

powertripwrestling

Power Trip Wrestling present "Against The World, on Saturday 31st May 2008, and we're back in Stevenage! All the details are below, for the show; but before that we've got the big news to tell you....

LATEST PTW NEWS FOR MAY 31ST'S SHOW:

* The main event for the evening, will be a Cruiserweight 6 man tag team match, but with a special stipulation attached; which is if PTW Cruiserweight Champion G 'The Ghetto Superstar' were to get pinned, the PTW Cruiserweight Title WILL change hands. The two teams are as follows, G 'The Ghetto Superstar'

Edited by powertripwrestling

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power Trip Wrestling present "Against The World", Saturday 31st May 2008. Here's the latest news....

SECOND CONTENDER ADDED!

In what will be a Three Way Contenders Match, where the winner becomes No 1 Contender to the PTW Heavyweight Title; we have now added the mysterious Gold Thunder into the mix, and he will face off against 'The Dark Angel' Mayhem w/Dan Edge. All that is left to know now, is who is the boss's "mystery choice"? With Peter Staniforth's infamously large address book, this could be pretty much anyone....from anywhere. Peter is well known for loving to stir things up, and everyone is waiting to see who his choice will be.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TAG TEAMS!

It's time for something new in PTW, and that will be a match that is titled "Six Tag Team Rumble Gauntlet - Over The Top Rope Elimination - Winning Team Stays On!". Two teams will start, for a team to be eliminated from the match; one of it's members has to go over the top rope. The team with two members will stay on, and another team will enter; with winner stays on rules. The tag teams that have stepped up to the plate in this one, are Paul McSherry & Kevin Carter, 'The Enforcers' Braddock & Frantastic, Mean N' Green (Anton Green & Maverick) w/Mr Tenacious, Youth Gone Wild (Will Davison & Ant Lacayo), 'The Natural Superstars' Darren Mason & Nathan Irwin; and Aphrodite & Mikey The Pikey. Who will stand tall in the ring at the end of this one?

WHAT AND WHEN :

Power Trip Wrestling present "Against The World", Saturday 31st May 2008.

WHERE :

Marriots School, Telford Avenue, Stevenage, Herts, SG2 0AN.

TIMES :

Doors Open : 6.00pm

Show Starts : 6.30pm

TICKETS :

Adults

• Paid Members

Now, it's no secret that PTW always tend to get a little bit of stick on these forums. Actually, scratch that: they tend to get a lot of stick on these forums.

I personally always believe that you can't truly make comment or pass judgement on something until you've seen it for yourself. It's because of this that I've always stayed well away from the PTW bashing, since I'd never seen any of their shows.

However, I've recently had the opportunity to watch a number of their shows on DVD ("Superstitious", "Faith, Hope and Charity", "Glory Days" and one more I can't remember the name of), and so now I get free reign :)

I went into it with an open mind, not wanting to have any pre-conceived ideas about them, the promoter, the wrestlers or the shows. Anyone who ever reads any of my stuff on here should get the impression that I'm a huge fan of family-based promotions that feature a regular cast of characters in logical storylines and meaningful matches, and on the surface this sounds like exactly what PTW are aiming for.

In all fairness, this is an utterly terrible promotion. Really, really abysmal.

The shows I saw were held in a big tent, which is pretty cool and links to the carnival roots of modern pro wrestling. However:

- Their roster for each show is ridiculously huge. Remember, fans are supposed to be able to identify with and relate to the characters in the matches, but this is made completely impossible by the fact they seem to have about 30 performers on each event. One wrestler blurs into another, one valet doesn't stand out from the others, and everything comes across as a pointless mess when they try to cram everyone into the show in some form or another.

- Picking up on a point from above, they seem to have about 6-7 regular female managers on the shows, but none seem to be any different from the others, all cornering their individual charges and doing, well, nothing else really. It seems like every wrestler on the card brings their girlfriend along to the show and they find a place for her.

- With the expected exeptions of the visiting likes of Jonny Storm, Ashe, ANDY SIMMONZ!!, El Ligero etc, none of the PTW regulars ever attempt to draw the crowd into their matches at all. Their performances are completely soulless. They ignore the fact that there is an audience there that they should be feeding and, in turn, feeding off, and instead simply concentrate on going over their over-rehearsed, transparently-choreographed sequences of moves.

- The promoter (Peter "I'm from Luton!!!!1" Staniforth) clearly pushes himself as the main focus of the shows over any of the in-ring performing talent, and comes across as fancying himself as a bit of a local celebrity. He is invovled in everything on the show, and barely a segment goes by where he doesn't make his presence felt. For all I know, he might be a really nice guy, but he pushes himself as more important than the wrestlers. Sure, non-wrestling personalities have a role to play, and if the storyline requires it, that could be a hugely important role. But, at the end of the day, the fans hand over their money for a ticket to watch the wrestling matches first and foremost. Sure, his character could have a direct influence on/in those matches and add meaning, interest and importance to them in the eyes of the fans, but he was appearing in bits where he didn't need to have that influence, and it really took away from the show as I got sick of seeing him. For example, on the first DVD I watched, including some horrid backstage skits, Staniforth was featured in about eight completely different segments.

- PTW regular Dan Edge is a disabled wrestler who appears to have a false leg. He comes to the ring on crutches and puts in the best effort that he can (he was also cast in the role of the disabled "fan" that Sterling James Keenan attacked at an early 1PW show). A truly inspirational real-life story about believe, heart and achievement. How does PTW handle this? It books him as a heel. A dirty, villainous, coniving cheat. Although PTW is encouraging its audience to boo, abuse and hate this guy, the fans themselves are clearly uncomfortable with this, and as such his involvement in the shows is awkward, lacks heat, and lacks interest.

- The likes of B52, Frantastic, Rich N Famous, Brian Braddock, Jim Brooks etc are all just poor wrestlers, and you can really tell that the crowd, even being the "casual", family-based crowd that it is, realises it. They all have poor looks, weak personalities, next to no charisma, and in inability to structure a match in such a way that it tells the viewer a story that flows, makes sense, and keeps me, or anyone, interested.

- Wheeler, Special Agent and Leon X are possibly the worst wrestlers I have ever seen in any UK wrestling promotion ever, with the possible exception of Nick Knight. Thing is, I've only seen Nick Knight once and, for all I know, he might have just been having a bad day. Wheeler and Agent represent the very worst in wrestling - skinny kids in craptastically awful ring gear, sticking ridgidly to their abysmal routined sequences of exchanging horrid flips, flops and "high spots" all without making any of it mean a fucking thing to anyone unfortunate enough of having the displeasure of catching one of their matches. Thing is, their flips, flops and "high spots" were so unbelievably crap and awkward-looking that you almost had to laugh in a "it's so bad, it's kinda entertaining" way. They clearly fancy themselves as fast-paced high-flyers, but end up just being embarrassing and cringeworthy. Leon X (or "LeXon", as his ring jacket would have you believe) is a fat guy with a semi-believable aura - until he starts wrestling. He is supposedly PTW's hardcore "icon", if you will, but is the most distinctly unhardcore hardcore wrestler in the history of pro wrestling. His flimsy weapon shots, slow motion brawling and breathtakingly lame offence has to rank him as possibly the crappiest of all time. Sure, a great "worker" is one that can make his offence look good without causing harm to his opponent, but even the kids in the audience were audibly laughing at how spectacularly naff he was, and his weak-ass weapon shots took any credibility or believablity out of the match that there was any slim chance of there already being. He regularly looked completely lost or clueless as to what he should want to do next, and it all led to everything coming across to me, the viewer, as awkward, sloppy and really, really lame.

- So, you maybe don't want to go see a PTW show after this, then. Fancy getting a DVD so you can make your own mind up without making the trek to whatever housing estate they are running in next? Don't bother. The DVDs themselves are equally as bad as the rest of the promotion. The box art is utterly attrocious (really bad posed photos, roughly cut-n-pasted in front of backgrounds that seem to have been designed on MS Paint, photos on the back are blurred motion shots, produced on a poor quality printer) for starters, and then once you've put the DVD in your machine it doesn't get much better. The menus, logos, music etc are all good early signs, but don't be fooled! The production is laughably bad. They generally have two cameras, a "hard" cam on a tripod set so low and far away that you can hardly make out what's going on, paired with a handheld camcorder which the cameraman finds impossible to hold still. The result is a shaky, grainy, wretched effort. Editting is equally poor, with switches between the two cameras appearing to make little or no sense, as if it was just done randomly by a blindfold moron. At one point, one of the ridiculously high number of non-wrestling people hanging around during a match stands in front of the "hard" cam for about 2 minutes. Does the edit swap the image to the other cam, then? Nope. Instead, all you see is someone's back, until another of the ridiculously high number of non-wrestling people hanging around during the match spots what's going on, and audibly tells him "You're stood in front of the camera!!!".

I've seen a hell of a lot of wrestling shows from a hell of a lot of different promotions around the country, featuring a hell of a lot of different and varied wrestlers. I find it hard to immediately think of one as bad as PTW in so many different aspects. As such, I find it impossible to recommend that anyone goes and watches any of their shows ever.

Sorry.

• Paid Members

Don't hold back Hat Guy. Say what you mean.

What's the point holding back?I'm one of the only regular posters in this forum that has never had, and never will have, any ties to "Britwres~" whatsoever. I have no-one to protect, nothing to hide. No agenda, complete impartiality. I always give my opinions from the point of view of a fan - a fan who has no aspirations towards wrestling beyond enjoying watching it.I like to think I can always be relied upon to tell other wrestling fans my honest opinions about what I see, in the same way I appreciate others who do the same. If something's cack, it deserves to be outed as cack. Edited by UK Hat Guy

*EDIT* Note to self, never criticise smart marks on their own hallowed ground because they all come out swinging their keyboards in defence of each other.

For the record, Leon X and Jim Brooks are LONG gone, and I agree were worthless in the ring and in life; but financial backing was the ONLY reason they were booked.

So please, feel free to talk all you want, we're flattered you're spending so much time talking about something you so clearly 'hate' so much.

Peter.

Edited by powertripwrestling

What's the point holding back?

Hey, hey, I wasn't knocking ya. Just having a laugh.EDIT : I should point out the idiocy of this ...

And you're qualified to make that judgement? Do tell what gives you the justification to make it, please...?

As someone who has seen the show, that instantly makes him qualified to make the judgement. Edited by Haraga_Version_One

The thing is, we're not dependent on internet smarks such as yourselves, and we don't rely on people kissing our arse on forums to sell tickets; added to the fact that smarks don't make up even a small percentage of our audience. So whilst I'll just about try to respect your right to an opinion, it really doesn't mean too much.

Then leave it be.Seriously, replying to all of this just doesn't help. Nothing is going to make his opinion more positive, if anything he will have a even more negative opinion because of you're unprofessional reply on here. But not only will it effect UK Hat Guy's opinion but everybody eles who reads this topic, myself included. Congrats Edited by wrestlingmad

In all fairness, this is an utterly terrible promotion. Really, really abysmal.And you're qualified to make that judgement? Do tell what gives you the justification to make it, please...? I'm fascinated.

We have to be ''QUALIFIED'' to pass judgement on a wrestling company now? I'll say this HAT GUY is one of the most unbiased individuals on the forum (I aint i'll admit that theres a lot of companys I blatantly regard as being shit the rosters their booking techniques their spotlight grabbing owners (FITCH) that should stay backstage cos the shows not about them...yeah i'm biased i admit it theres a lot of promotions that shouldnt exist)I however unlike hat guy dont give the reasons as validly when i criticise a company ben however does it's why people respect his views when he does pass critticism of a company or wrestler.the fact your demanding he prove how he's qualified to criticise a company is frankly ridiculous whats next are ya gonna use the ''your not a wrestler so you can't say anything '' defence that the unprofessional cunts use?he's gave you some honest and fair critticism instead of jumping on him how about you look at what he's written and ask yourself if he's got a point?

• Moderators

Would he be qualified enough if his comments had been positive?Funny how in all the hundreds of times the "you're not qualified to comment" thing has come up on here, it's always in response to negative reviews. If he's not qualified, surely anything positive that's been said about PTW in any thread on here can immediately be discounted too, after all, they're only the cunting audience.Ah, so my comments are discounted because I'm "hiding" under an assumed name. My name is hardly a secret, I've pimped the book I wrote enough times, not that the excuse of SCREENNAMEZ flies anyway. The idea that PTW might be a bit rubbish and that your reply was rather silly hardly puts me up there with Rushdie in terms of wild statements that would drive a man into hiding.

Edited by Sickboy

Wow, wow, wow and fucking wow. UKHG goes and puts the finest point on something one could ever dream of.

My turn :thumbsup:

Now I admit I slated PTW once before and was met with staniforth's "you weren't there so you can't blah blah blah" drivel. Well, I have since been to 2 ptw shows, so now I can.

I went to the last one, something named after a bon jovi song, in stevenage and to be frank I was wrong in how negative I was to ptw. I should have been MORE negative.

So let's address a few things from this debate thus far myself...........

"Something tells me you didn't buy the copies, which could technically rule you out of the 'I paid, so I have a right to an opinion' theory. "

You total prick. Really. Anyone who watches wwe on free tv, has no right to an opinion. Or borrows a copy of a dvd. Or watches it online. You sell a product. Your consumers have the right as consumers to give opinions on it, that is the idea. Idiot.

"A lot of people will tell you we're better now"

The people you put on your shows that can't get work elsewhere because they are untrained do not count. Before Aphrodite or Hailz jumps in on that to defend their beloved ptw, that means you too.

"And you're qualified to make that judgement? Do tell what gives you the justification to make it, please...? I'm fascinated."

While maybe an "internet mark" as many may say, UKHG goes to pretty much every fed in the uk and as many shows as he can muster and has seen every level of talent on the scene. And, HE IS A CONSUMER OF THE PRODUCT!

"- The promoter (Peter "I'm from Luton!!!!1" Staniforth) clearly pushes himself as the main focus of the shows over any of the in-ring performing talent, and comes across as fancying himself as a bit of a local celebrity. He is invovled in everything on the show, and barely a segment goes by where he doesn't make his presence felt. "

Yes, yes he does. At Stevenage he opened the show with a segment purely to get his child son over (:-S) and talk to all 20 fans about ptw being a real fed. In his eyes anyway.........

"For all I know, he might be a really nice guy"

Yes, he is. In the "Owen Hart" style.

"but he pushes himself as more important than the wrestlers."

Oh I don't know, at Luton once before he was involved in about.........every match. Not overkill at all :-)

"But, at the end of the day, the fans hand over their money for a ticket to watch the wrestling matches first and foremost"

Take note ..........

"Sure, his character could have a direct influence on/in those matches and add meaning, interest and importance to them in the eyes of the fans"

Not in that 12 year old boy voice.

"I try to keep everything glued together, and for those who weren't as confident with promo's and such; I tried to keep an involvement to help."

Erm, how can you help with that when you stink, no, fucking reek at it.

"- PTW regular Dan Edge is a disabled wrestler who appears to have a false leg. He comes to the ring on crutches and puts in the best effort that he can (he was also cast in the role of the disabled "fan" that Sterling James Keenan attacked at an early 1PW show). A truly inspirational real-life story about believe, heart and achievement. How does PTW handle this? It books him as a heel. A dirty, villainous, coniving cheat. Although PTW is encouraging its audience to boo, abuse and hate this guy, the fans themselves are clearly uncomfortable with this, and as such his involvement in the shows is awkward, lacks heat, and lacks interest."

In fairness, dan edge has no business near a ring. Is that harsh to a disabled man? No, this is wrestling. You wouldn't get physically handicapped athletes in the premiership or pro boxing. End of the day, nobody, no matter how much suspension of disbelief or willingness to be nice, can sit and say seeing him against an able bodied wrestler is watchable. Sorry but true.

"The likes of B52, Frantastic, Rich N Famous, Brian Braddock, Jim Brooks etc are all just poor wrestlers, and you can really tell that the crowd, even being the "casual", family-based crowd that it is, realises it. They all have poor looks, weak personalities, next to no charisma, and in inability to structure a match in such a way that it tells the viewer a story that flows, makes sense, and keeps me, or anyone, interested."

There is a lot of shit there, really, but in fairness, some of those mentioned aren't useless but really stacked against the odds. You could play tennis against a fence ok, you could have the greatest serve ever, perfect form, power, aim, the lot. It could be worthy of any top league player. You're still playing with a fence.

"One thing Rich McClaine (formerly Famous), and Braddock and Frantastic are NOT; are poor wrestlers. All take their craft very seriously, especially Braddock and Frantastic on their learning curve, and I would dearly love to see you make such comment to their faces."

Well if they were professional, they wouldn't lash out like UG WRESTLER, PUNCH ARGHHH because that's assault. Idiot.

"- Wheeler, Special Agent and Leon X are possibly the worst wrestlers I have ever seen in any UK wrestling promotion ever"

Mate, wait til you see Jay Cool and Paul McSherry.............

"Wheeler and Agent represent the very worst in wrestling - skinny kids in craptastically awful ring gear, sticking ridgidly to their abysmal routined sequences of exchanging horrid flips, flops and "high spots" all without making any of it mean a fucking thing to anyone unfortunate enough of having the displeasure of catching one of their matches. Thing is, their flips, flops and "high spots" were so unbelievably crap and awkward-looking that you almost had to laugh in a "it's so bad, it's kinda entertaining" way. They clearly fancy themselves as fast-paced high-flyers, but end up just being embarrassing and cringeworthy. Leon X (or "LeXon", as his ring jacket would have you believe) is a fat guy with a semi-believable aura - until he starts wrestling. He is supposedly PTW's hardcore "icon", if you will, but is the most distinctly unhardcore hardcore wrestler in the history of pro wrestling. His flimsy weapon shots, slow motion brawling and breathtakingly lame offence has to rank him as possibly the crappiest of all time. Sure, a great "worker" is one that can make his offence look good without causing harm to his opponent, but even the kids in the audience were audibly laughing at how spectacularly naff he was, and his weak-ass weapon shots took any credibility or believablity out of the match that there was any slim chance of there already being. He regularly looked completely lost or clueless as to what he should want to do next, and it all led to everything coming across to me, the viewer, as awkward, sloppy and really, really lame."

No more needing saying. Wheeler, a child, looks awful and hits like a child. Special Agent, heavy on the "Special" and Jim Brooks is offensive to the eyes.

"The DVDs themselves are equally as bad as the rest of the promotion. The box art is utterly attrocious (really bad posed photos, roughly cut-n-pasted in front of backgrounds that seem to have been designed on MS Paint, photos on the back are blurred motion shots, produced on a poor quality printer) for starters, and then once you've put the DVD in your machine it doesn't get much better.The production is laughably bad. "

Jesus yes. And the wwe music and the "don't try this........" thing must be illegal?

"It's the comemnt about the 'high number of non-wrestling people' that amuses me here. I encourage people to watch our music videos on YouTube to make your own mind up on production qualities, I find these comments quite amusing."

Mate, Pete, the music videos ENFORCE the point.

"The thing is, we're not dependent on internet smarks such as yourselves"

Er, but aren't you "The Internet Icon?

FUCKING IDIOT

"And we don't rely on people kissing our arse on forums to sell tickets; added to the fact that smarks don't make up even a small percentage of our audience."

Why advertise the hell out of your shows on here then??? IDI....... oh why bother.

"So whilst I'll just about try to respect your right to an opinion, it really doesn't mean too much. I'd love you to come out June 7th when we're in your part of the world (Yorkshire), and have a chat with me about it face to face IF you feel so strongly about your views and can handle a sociable, man to man and personable conversation about all your comments and much more (including facts that would probably help you to understand a few things). That I offer sincerely...."

Careful, he may hit you with his clipboard of doom!!!1111~~~

"I've tried to be as calm as one can be, under the circumstances of the comments made. I put more time into PTW and making it work, than a lot of people bother to with their promotions. I believe in it, I believe in my guys, I believe in the whole thing. You can say what you want about me, about PTW, and past wrestlers who are long gone now and were tolerated at the time - I don't care. But don't ever doubt my intensity and determination for PTW to succeed."

You believe in your delusion, yes. Go you Pete.