So what's unacceptable?

Chris B

Bernard Manning, your delusional mate, seriously do you have a real grasp of what life in Britain is like in 2007? It's not the PC Utopia of Multiculturalism the propaganda of politics make out pal, if you get all hot and bothered about some wrestler calling another wrestler a faggot, you need to get a social life. I've met alot of Gays in my time, in fact a few Queens, and none of them would have had a problem with that remark, only jumped up little busybodies who take themselves far too seriously do. Now if they used ethnic racist words you'd have my backing, you would, but for the use of the words Faggot is taking it a bit too far. And don't come back with, it's starts there, because it doesn't, thats a completely different level.

Theres a difference between talk like this between adults in work or in the pub for example, and at a wrestling show were kids are present. Maybe its just a case of me having more morals than I thought I had as I wouldnt use words such as 'faggot' in conversation or presence of a child.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Erm, well yeah . . . . if you're running a show where families and children will be attending I'd think it a wise move to say to the boys "right guys, watch the language" etc. Does this sound stupid to you Dingbat?

It does when 1PW have always maintained that 'anything can happen', and that parents who bring their children to the shows are responsible for what they hear. Considering this is a company that last year ran a 'Barbed Wire Hell' match and issued a second separate warning about that, I really don't think 1PW is aimed specifically at kids.Darque Edge - you weren't at the show, were you? Stevie Aaron was forced to apologise for the language used. What else would you suggest 1PW did?

I'd like to know what any faggots thought of all this?

Well, my best mate is bisexual; he was front-row and he was offended, so he spoke out against what Smothers said on the forum. He didn't slate 1PW.
I was under the impression that Stevie Aaron apologised for James Wallace's language. What did he say to apologise for the ten minute homophobic segment masquerading as a match?Also, I'd suggest that 1PW shouldn't book SoCo again, should release a public statement apologising for any offense called, taking measures to make sure it won't happen again, and excising the segment from the DVD release so they don't seem to be trying to profit from it.

Why did the MC apologise then if its the parent's responsibility for knowing what to expect?

Probably to avoid situations like this, but look how well that turned out.
But why apologise for something that could happen again? Im lost - if it could happen again then you dont see it being a problem so why apologise?

I was under the impression that Stevie Aaron apologised for James Wallace's language. What did he say to apologise for the ten minute homophobic segment masquerading as a match?

See, that just further implies to me that this (for you) isn't an issue about Tracy Smothers or Chris Hamrick and their comments - you're making out that it's about 1PW, which is why your thread's subtitle is "1PW homophobia"; am I right?

Also, I'd suggest that 1PW shouldn't book SoCo again, should release a public statement apologising for any offense called, taking measures to make sure it won't happen again, and excising the segment from the DVD release so they don't seem to be trying to profit from it.

Well here's as much as I can tell you; Smothers and Hamrick aren't booked for any further 1PW shows (and have no outstanding storylines at any rate) and it's very unlikely that the end of the match will be on the DVD anyway, since they tend to cut off before there's any opportunity for licensed music to be used in keeping with 1PW's retail DVD distribution deal. So that's nothing to worry about.

But why apologise for something that could happen again? Im lost - if it could happen again then you dont see it being a problem so why apologise?

How am I to know? I'm stating what I know and theorising as to anything else. First you were offended that they'd allowed this and hadn't apologised, then you ask why there was an apology issued? Edited by Dingbat

The ultimate responsibility comes down to the company.

For what? When people script promo's, people bitch. When they're not, these abuses happen no matter how much you try for them not to. Every so often, these things happen. Very rarely.When Michael Richards ranted last year about black people, was it the comedy club' fault? No. He did that and those were his words and his actions. Same with 1PW. 1PW were probably wrong in that they didn't realize that wrestlers would take advantage of the 'talk freely' and abuse it. But that's it. They aren't mindreaders, y'know, and they don't know what people are going to say. This is the first time that it's been abused so badly in the time that 1PW's been around. Was it wrong? Yes. It was offensive and it was wrong to say. I felt totally uncomfortable with it but I am not going to boycott them over it and wouldn't point fingers and blame 1PW for that first time mishap in 'wrong things to say'.Is it really worth never going to another show of theirs despite the promotion putting on good shows and entertainment just because one of the wrestlers made a horrific error of judgement to say that stuff?Btw, I don't think it's '1PW homophobia'. The company isn't homophobic - Smothers is. To label it anything else is crap. Edited by NickMills

I've met alot of Gays in my time, in fact a few Queens, and none of them would have had a problem with that remark, only jumped up little busybodies who take themselves far too seriously do. Now if they used ethnic racist words you'd have my backing, you would, but for the use of the words Faggot is taking it a bit too far. And don't come back with, it's starts there, because it doesn't, thats a completely different level.

You need to look at it on all levels.We are not talking about a wrestler mocking another wrestler (and getting the fans to join in) because the other wrestler has a "Gay" gimmick or is acting like Golddust or Rico. We are talking about people using crude gay terms as insults. Face wrestlers using terms like "Faggot" as a general insult to someone is a pretty fucking poor example for young kids.If you were to have the same thing happen with racist language, then you are talking about a wrestler calling another wrestler (who isn't Black or Asian) a paki or a nigger just as an insult, because in their mind being non white is just plain bad. Just like being a Gay!None of that should be acceptable.Are you saying it's OK to hate on gay people but not ethnic minorities then?

• Paid Members

I was under the impression that Stevie Aaron apologised for James Wallace's language. What did he say to apologise for the ten minute homophobic segment masquerading as a match?

See, that just further implies to me that this (for you) isn't an issue about Tracy Smothers or Chris Hamrick and their comments - you're making out that it's about 1PW, which is why your thread's subtitle is "1PW homophobia"; am I right?
How does me asking you for clarification imply ANYTHING to you? I didn't contradict you. I said I was under the impression that Stevie apologised for a separate incident. Then asked what specific apology he made about the 'match'.What does that imply?I called it 1PW homophobia because it took place at a 1PW event. For ten minutes. This isn't like that 1PW kid that jumped off an apron and hurt himself that was nothing to do with 1PW, because it took place in less than a minute. This was the beginning, the middle and the end of the entire match.If it had happened at an IPW show, I'd have called it IPW homophobia. If it had happened at an XWA show, I'd call it XWA homophobia. And I'd also see it as THEIR responsibility, because if they don't know what's going to happen in their matches, then they're not responsible bookers. This wasn't one comment. This was the ENTIRE segment.So, what did Stevie say in his apology about that segment?

Also, I'd suggest that 1PW shouldn't book SoCo again, should release a public statement apologising for any offense called, taking measures to make sure it won't happen again, and excising the segment from the DVD release so they don't seem to be trying to profit from it.

Well here's as much as I can tell you; Smothers and Hamrick aren't booked for any further 1PW shows (and have no outstanding storylines at any rate) and it's very unlikely that the end of the match will be on the DVD anyway, since they tend to cut off before there's any opportunity for licensed music to be used in keeping with 1PW's retail DVD distribution deal. So that's nothing to worry about.
Did I misread the write up of the match, or was it totally inaccurate? Smothers and Hamrick made continued comments at the beginning of the match too, and throughout. Not JUST at the end. And meanwhile, Simmons and Tighe played up to it throughout the match.If that's inaccurate, what really happened?And other than a handful of people, how many people are booked for future 1PW shows? They have a full card for the next show already?

Is it really worth never going to another show of theirs despite the promotion putting on good shows and entertainment just because one of the wrestlers made a horrific error of judgement to say that stuff?Btw, I don't think it's '1PW homophobia'. The company isn't homophobic - Smothers is. To label it anything else is crap.

It wasn't one person. It was Smothers, Hamrick, Tighe and Simmons. Two of them making the comments repeatedly, the other two playing up to it repeatedly. In a match booked by 1PW. Really, you're saying 1PW didn't know what was going to happen in the match? Edited by Darque Edge

How does me asking you for clarification imply ANYTHING to you? I didn't contradict you. I said I was under the impression that Stevie apologised for a separate incident. Then asked what specific apology he made about the 'match'.What does that imply?I called it 1PW homophobia because it took place at a 1PW event. For ten minutes. This isn't like that 1PW kid that jumped off an apron and hurt himself that was nothing to do with 1PW, because it took place in less than a minute. This was the beginning, the middle and the end of the entire match.

Uh, no it wasn't. In fact Simmonz and Tighe began the whole thing by challenging Southern Comfort to a 'classic' 1PW dance off, but Simmonz kept dancing towards Tighe and grinding against him. Smothers made a couple jokes, then the match got on. It wasn't 'til the end of the match that the 'Faggots' chant began.

If it had happened at an IPW show, I'd have called it IPW homophobia. If it had happened at an XWA show, I'd call it XWA homophobia. And I'd also see it as THEIR responsibility, because if they don't know what's going to happen in their matches, then they're not responsible bookers. This wasn't one comment. This was the ENTIRE segment.So, what did Stevie say in his apology about that segment?

All Stevie did was apologise for the language used in the previous segment.

Did I misread the write up of the match, or was it totally inaccurate? Smothers and Hamrick made continued comments at the beginning of the match too, and throughout. Not JUST at the end. And meanwhile, Simmons and Tighe played up to it throughout the match.If that's inaccurate, what really happened?

See above for my recollection of events.

And other than a handful of people, how many people are booked for future 1PW shows? They have a full card for the next show already?

They certainly have most of their drawing talent booked, yes.

i have a few gay friends who i spoke to about this and they were offended by this. as dirty eddie said if it was a gimmick they were playing up to it then it may be ok but there was nothing to do with sexual prefrence in the match so why did smothers have to use "faggot" to get the crowd involved? ive seem smothers wrestlie on indie shows before and he hasnt needed to then so why this time? when you start using stuff like that to get heat/a pop then your scraping the bottom of the barrel

• Paid Members

How does me asking you for clarification imply ANYTHING to you? I didn't contradict you. I said I was under the impression that Stevie apologised for a separate incident. Then asked what specific apology he made about the 'match'.What does that imply?I called it 1PW homophobia because it took place at a 1PW event. For ten minutes. This isn't like that 1PW kid that jumped off an apron and hurt himself that was nothing to do with 1PW, because it took place in less than a minute. This was the beginning, the middle and the end of the entire match.

Uh, no it wasn't. In fact Simmonz and Tighe began the whole thing by challenging Southern Comfort to a 'classic' 1PW dance off, but Simmonz kept dancing towards Tighe and grinding against him. Smothers made a couple jokes, then the match got on. It wasn't 'til the end of the match that the 'Faggots' chant began.
By 'a couple of jokes', do you mean

Smothers takes the microphone "How are you Doncaster Donkeys" he continues talking about how 1PW is 2 years old before calling Simmonz and Tighe fagots. Hamrick takes the microphone "You two are ass down, face up, pillow facing homosexual fags". Smothers then calls for a Dance -Off! Simmonz and Tighe dance a little too close to each other, causing the fans to chant "Fagots"

?Or was it something non-homophobic? If this is down to a primarily inaccurate show report, and it was, in fact, just one comment from Smothers post-match, and the crowd went with it, then I'll happily ask for the thread to be renamed 'Tracy Smothers Homophobia'. If it was Smothers and Hamrick, with Tighe and Simmons playing up to it, then I'd say that was a 1PW segment.

If it had happened at an IPW show, I'd have called it IPW homophobia. If it had happened at an XWA show, I'd call it XWA homophobia. And I'd also see it as THEIR responsibility, because if they don't know what's going to happen in their matches, then they're not responsible bookers. This wasn't one comment. This was the ENTIRE segment.So, what did Stevie say in his apology about that segment?

All Stevie did was apologise for the language used in the previous segment.
He had to apologise twice in one night for language? Ouch. That's not going to come across as professional, is it?

If it had happened at an IPW show, I'd have called it IPW homophobia. If it had happened at an XWA show, I'd call it XWA homophobia. And I'd also see it as THEIR responsibility, because if they don't know what's going to happen in their matches, then they're not responsible bookers.

You shouldn't do that. If a wrestler makes a comment at a show, it's not the promotion's racism/homophobia/sexism or whatever. That's the person's homophobia/racism/sexism etc. Don't label a company homophobic.

It wasn't one person. It was Smothers, Hamrick, Tighe and Simmons. Two of them making the comments repeatedly, the other two playing up to it repeatedly. In a match booked by 1PW. Really, you're saying 1PW didn't know what was going to happen in the match?

Tracy Smothers initiated the 'faggot' chant. That's what most people are offended about.And your trying to blame 1PW?There is absolutely no way 1PW would have allowed the 'anti-gay' stuff to happen if they had known about it. It's common sense. So I assume this was down to the performers, if anything. But it was a small segement which immediately led into a match. Then it went into the aftermath. It wasn't one entire segement; the match didn't consist of Tracy calling them faggots and whatnot. Simmonz and Tighe played up to it because they're heels. It's what they do; most of the time, heels act really offended and end up doing something which makes the face right (e.g. Rock with Coach, made comment about sheep and Coach said he liked sheep). Coach isn't a heel but it's along those lines. For all you know, it could have been something between the performers and not something 1PW booked.One small segement in a large two hour show with literally very little complaints. And it's the first time something like this has ever happened in 1PW. The reason people didn't 'bring this to your attention' was because it was generally something forgotten rather quickly because the show was pretty entertaining. It took a while before people read the results and complained. But very few are boycotting out of moral outrage.I'm not trying to tell you how to feel but I think it's OTT considering it's a one off incident and I think it's ridiculous your trying to try and pin this on the company and blame them instead of blame the performers for their ill-conceived idea of an angle.

Ouch. That's not going to come across as professional, is it?

1PW were professional enough to apologize.What, would you rather 1PW didn't and look like uncaring foulmouthed morons? Edited by NickMills

By 'a couple of jokes', do you mean "Smothers takes the microphone "How are you Doncaster Donkeys" he continues talking about how 1PW is 2 years old before calling Simmonz and Tighe fagots. Hamrick takes the microphone "You two are ass down, face up, pillow facing homosexual fags". Smothers then calls for a Dance -Off! Simmonz and Tighe dance a little too close to each other, causing the fans to chant 'Fagots'?"Or was it something non-homophobic? If this is down to a primarily inaccurate show report, and it was, in fact, just one comment from Smothers post-match, and the crowd went with it, then I'll happily ask for the thread to be renamed 'Tracy Smothers Homophobia'. If it was Smothers and Hamrick, with Tighe and Simmons playing up to it, then I'd say that was a 1PW segment.

I sure as hell don't remember 'ass down face up' at all. I think I'd have noticed something like that.

He had to apologise twice in one night for language? Ouch. That's not going to come across as professional, is it?

Couldn't be more obvious that you're trying to use this incident to paint 1PW in a bad light, really. And to be fair, one was James Wallace; he's excessively rude at the politest of times.

• Paid Members

By 'a couple of jokes', do you mean "Smothers takes the microphone "How are you Doncaster Donkeys" he continues talking about how 1PW is 2 years old before calling Simmonz and Tighe fagots. Hamrick takes the microphone "You two are ass down, face up, pillow facing homosexual fags". Smothers then calls for a Dance -Off! Simmonz and Tighe dance a little too close to each other, causing the fans to chant 'Fagots'?"Or was it something non-homophobic? If this is down to a primarily inaccurate show report, and it was, in fact, just one comment from Smothers post-match, and the crowd went with it, then I'll happily ask for the thread to be renamed 'Tracy Smothers Homophobia'. If it was Smothers and Hamrick, with Tighe and Simmons playing up to it, then I'd say that was a 1PW segment.

I sure as hell don't remember 'ass down face up' at all. I think I'd have noticed something like that.
But Hamrick was joining in the 'faggot' jokes? And Tighe and Simmons were playing up to them?

Couldn't be more obvious that you're trying to use this incident to paint 1PW in a bad light, really. And to be fair, one was James Wallace; he's excessively rude at the politest of times.
Whereas I think it couldn't be more obvious that this incident paints 1PW in a bad light all by itself.