So what's unacceptable?

Chris B

• Paid Members

From the 1PW second anniversary show results:

Losing Team Must Wear a DressIron Lions (James Tighe & Andy Boy Simmonz) vs. Southern Comfort (Tracy Smothers & Chris Hamrick)Iron Lions take the microphone "Keep the noise down, we left you laying Hamrick" "Who are ya" chants from the 1PW fans. "Your old, washed up, former stars" Hamrick fains sleeping in the corner "We're going to send you packing back to the USA" "Shut the f*** up" the fans reply. Smothers takes the microphone "How are you Doncaster Donkeys" he continues talking about how 1PW is 2 years old before calling Simmonz and Tighe fagots. Hamrick takes the microphone "You two are ass down, face up, pillow facing homosexual fags". Smothers then calls for a Dance -Off! Simmonz and Tighe dance a little too close to each other, causing the fans to chant "Fagots". Smothers dancing causes everyone to cheer but once again Hamrick won't dance! The Iron Lions leave the ring, Smothers motions for a 6-1-9 but stops, Hamrick comes off the top rope with a high cross body. Smothers attempts to follow but is thrown into the guardrail, Hamrick is thrown back into the ring and quickly double teamed.The Iron Lions successfully cut the ring in half, as they continue the beat down on Hamrick. With numerous two on one beat-downs as the referee is distracted, Hamrick finally makes the tag to Smothers, whilst Tighe tags in Simmonz. Tighe hits an underhook slam on Hamrick for a two count as the match breaks down. Smothers hits Tighe with a flatliner, Simmonz hits Smothers with a missile dropkick. Tighe is down so Hamrick double jumps for a moonsault (but slips and lands awkwardly!). At this point the match stops, the fans clap for Hamrick, then out of nowhere Hamrick hits a super kick and Smothers hits a Spear 1, 2 and 3. "Put your dresses on" chant from the crowd, Iron Lions attempt to leave so Hamrick and Smothers lock them in sleeper holds and put the dresses on. Hamrick calls Iron Lions "A couple of queers, don't act like it's the first time you have worn a dress" "Fagot" chant from the fans.Match Time: 9 minutesWinners: Southern Comfort

Now, the last time I remember something being done so homophobic in wrestling (and by homophobic, I mean directly homophobic, rather than the Billy and Chuck fiasco) was Balls Mahoney referring to a match as a 'homosexual dance party', and I remember Powerslam condemning it somewhat at the time as well.I realise also that this may seem obvious to some people, but it's TWO THOUSAND AND FUCKING SEVEN, and we have two of the brightest rising stars in British Wrestling (depending on who you ask, and perhaps a couple of years generous to James Tighe), along with two relatively well respected veterans, getting an audience - including kids - to chant 'Faggot'.And a good time was had by all.Seriously, is this acceptable now, and nobody mentioned it to me? Especially when British Wrestling should be after every fan it can get, and not alienating anyone.I've been to see 1PW in the past, and I just think how embarassed I would be if I went with my friends or family to see a show in which this happened, and have to try and defend that 'I'm a fan of this'. For starters, 1PW can forget ever getting any money of mine again, and (if I have anything to do with it) that of any of my friends.At what stage do we turn around and go 'err...actually, that's going too far.'? Do we have to get to actual, rather than implied racism (I'm thinking the typical 'evil foreigner' angle in WWE)? How about a rape angle? At which point will we still have fans turning around and saying 'this was fun!'?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, the last time I remember something being done so homophobic in wrestling (and by homophobic, I mean directly homophobic, rather than the Billy and Chuck fiasco) was Balls Mahoney referring to a match as a 'homosexual dance party', and I remember Powerslam condemning it somewhat at the time as well.Most smart fans have such high opinions of themselves they probably thought they were part of the show somehow therefore it was acceptable.I can honestly say I have never actually been offended by anything in wrestling, not Katie Vick, Big Show's dad getting cancer, May Young giving birth, homosexuality, racism, exploding limo's nothing, I dunno if I'm just desensitized or amoral or what but i actually find people that get offended by wrestling laughable.

i actually find people that get offended by wrestling laughable.

Two faces, in their forties, led the audience, including children, into a chant of faggot.Being offended by this is laughable?
Kind of yeah, wrestling hasn't exactly been P.C for nearly ten years now.Granted i don't have a clue who 1PW aim there product towards and judging by some of the threads on them i doubt they do either, but its usually "Smarks" that go to shows and there the ones that probably left the building most entertained by the comments.And if families and casual fans went along then they should know what sort of a crass product wrestling has become these days and expect it.

• Paid Members

Two faces, in their forties, led the audience, including children, into a chant of faggot.Being offended by this is laughable?
Kind of yeah, wrestling hasn't exactly been P.C for nearly ten years now.
When was wrestling ever PC?

And if families and casual fans went along then they should know what sort of a crass product wrestling has become these days and expect it.

Perhaps families aren't fully aware though. The kids might watch wrestling, but some parents more than likely take no notice, and take them to see 1PW (or any promotion) to shut them up for the evening.For all their bad points, if you went to a WWE house show, you wouldn't expect to be offended, despite some of the more questionable angles on television. That's the way it should be for any wrestling promotion. Kids are a big part of the fanbase, and also the most impressionable.

Guest May 19th

I think it should be applauded if anythingI'm sick of all this PC bollocks Edited by May 19th

• Paid Members

I think it should be applauded if anythingI'm sick of all this PC bollocks

Ha! Let's get the old racist chants going too. Wouldn't want to perpetuate this "PC bollocks" thing that so sickens you. Woooo! Time to encourage some hatred!We'll have to remember to start a chant of "Smells like ga-as *clap clap clapclapclap*" next time we see a Jewish wrestler too. After all, being pig ignorant is a way to combat political correctness, is it not? Go you!

I think it should be applauded if anythingI'm sick of all this PC bollocks

Ha! Let's get the old racist chants going too. Wouldn't want to perpetuate this "PC bollocks" thing that so sickens you. Woooo! Time to encourage some hatred!We'll have to remember to start a chant of "Smells like ga-as *clap clap clapclapclap*" next time we see a Jewish wrestler too. After all, being pig ignorant is a way to combat political correctness, is it not? Go you!
Haven't you got a demonstration to be at somewhere?

For starters, 1PW can forget ever getting any money of mine again, and (if I have anything to do with it) that of any of my friends.

Why?I think your jumping to blaming the company a little quickly. I assume the performers get mostly say in their promo's and such. There were two instances at 2AS where this led to some crap; Wallace and Smothers. Wallace kept using the 'c' word in a casual manner and Smothers got people to chant 'faggot'. Why don't you blame the performer for HIS actions instead of the company? You weren't even at the show and if you checked our forums, you'll see that people did indeed complain about itMoral outrage indeed.

most entertained by the comments.

Oh yes indeed, all the smarks love the 'faggot' chant indeed. Favourite part of the show. :rolleyes: Edited by NickMills

Well, this doesn't surprise me at all.I'm sure, though, that all the 1PW fans were perfectly pleased with it eh? I mean, we're 1PW fans, so we must not be offended by stuff like this, right? Hell, we probably sat there laughing all the way through and after the show commended Smothers on this hilarious segment. In fact, we all turned away from the awesome Nigel McGuinness/Darren Burridge match in order to go and ask Tracy to make more homophobic comments towards Tighe and Simmons.Well for anyone assuming that, you're wrong, and this seems to be gearing towards being another veiled attempt to condemn 1PW for whatever reason can be found. Call me paranoid all you like, but that's my honest opinion of this post. I don't see a single part of that post where you even begin to mention that Smothers and Hamrick themselves could be held responsible for it, rather than the promotion. Myself and my friends were offended by the segment too and we made a point of it on the 1PW forum. Smothers' words weren't funny - they were just typical of a 'redneck' character. Now, that doesn't make it acceptable and that's why we complained, but I fail to see how this was the promotion's fault, in much the same way that James Wallace swearing like a wounded pirate wasn't the promotion's fault either. At any rate, I also don't see any other promotions who have booked Smothers kicking him off their cards, so I guess not everyone was offended.