Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I dunno bout that. Sure it's one of the biggest matches of the era and was epic on first viewing but I'm sure there are matches that have aged better? Off the top of my head from the little I've seen I remember liking Cena/Umaga at the Rumble more and I'm guessing there's some great Eddy/Rey matches?

Eddie. And their WWE matches were usually no better than mediocre, they were letdowns for sure. Some recommendations from 04-09 that come to mind:

Foley vs Orton, Backlash '04

JBL vs Godzilla, Smackdown from Japan

Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle, WrestleMania 21

Cena vs JBL, Judgment Day '05

Cena vs Jericho, SummerSlam '05

Mick Foley vs Edge, WrestleMania 22

Cena vs Edge (TLC), Unforgiven '06

Tag Team Ladder match, Armageddon '06

Undertaker vs Batista, WrestleMania 23

Jeff Hardy vs Umaga, Great American Bash '07

Cena vs Lashley, Great American Bash '07

Jeff Hardy vs Triple H, Armageddon '07

Undertaker vs Edge, WrestleMania 24

Undertaker vs Festus, SmackDown 2008

Jimmy Yang vs Kozlov, SmackDown 2008

Evan Bourne vs John Morrison, ECW after the '09 Draft

I've missed loads, obviously. There was a Michaels vs Cena match on Raw that I quite liked, sometime late '08/early '09 when Michaels was JBL's slave. Not the three-hour match from London in '07, but a lot of people liked that. I did enjoy Edge vs Orton the following week.

• Paid Members

If you're after JBL and Eddie, check out their match at (I think) Judgment Day. Might find it somewhat uncomfortable viewing mind. Eddie - Brock too is a must. And Brock -Benoit and Brock - Rey from Smackdowns in early '04.

Definitely check out the Umaga - Hardy match that Pitcos mentioned, it's fucking awesome. Edge vs Matt Hardy street fight on Raw was one of the few highlights of their feud in '05 and is the sort of match that would have fit right in during the attitude era, if you like that sort of thing.

Anything from the Edge-Benoit series was pretty good and the triple threat they had with Triple H for the World belt is cracking. As is the Elimination Chamber that followed. Shawn Michaels vs Shelton Benjamin Raw Gold Rush tournament was good fun too.

Orton and Christian had a nifty series of matches on Raw too which I think was '05. Evolution had loads of good 6 mans and 8 mans too.

I could go on really, Miz and Primo had a brilliant match that's under-rated, or would be if anyone had actually seen it on ECW in I think 2008. MVP vs Benoit WM 23, Umaga vs Brian Kendrick Raw squash.

Punk was at his best when he was in the process of turning heel first time around. He had some great matches on Smackdown at the time, in particular against John Morrison. And there's two Triple threat matches one just before and one just after Punks 'spoke on the wheel' promo. Punk vs Rey vs Del Rio and Rey vs Del Rio vs R-Truth.

That'll do for now.

• Paid Members

That Festus vs Undertaker match was excellent. Makes even less sense why Gallows was released, or even never rehired. He's a great big man wrestler. He's lost a load of weight and is fast as fuck now, too. They missed the boat on him and Knox. Its not like they are going to make much difference to TNA either.

• Paid Members
I dunno bout that. Sure it's one of the biggest matches of the era and was epic on first viewing but I'm sure there are matches that have aged better?

What. The. Fuck.

I'm at a loss as to how a match can age so badly in three and a half years, never mind THAT match. The era??? Are you serious? Has WWE changed THAT dramatically since 2009?? OK, I was never a big fan of Shawn kicking out of the Tombstone, but that's a minor quibble that is probably unique to me, and that match is a fucking belter. I'm going to watch it right now.

But YES, as per your initial post, Shawn's entrance was camp as you like.

I meant this era. When I say age I mean in terms of how re-watchable it is. Once you know the result a lot of the epic nature of the storylelling of the match is lost. Obviously you could say that about a lot of matches but this seemed to peak too early with the Taker dive spot and kind of meandered after that with an overlong finishing stretch which seems to drag a lot more once you know the conclusion.

I meant this era. When I say age I mean in terms of how re-watchable it is. Once you know the result a lot of the epic nature of the storylelling of the match is lost. Obviously you could say that about a lot of matches

You could say it about every match. Wrestling matches should ideally only be watched once. Unless you're training to be a wrestler or are in some way involved in creating a wrestling event, rewatching them should only ever be done in an extreme case of nostalgia or due to massive mental illness and perversion. And it only ever is. Taken away from context and the moment, wrestling matches are basically fucking boring rubbish.

• Paid Members
And who are you selling copied PCW DVDs?

I guess you better PM me quick and give me a full explanation before I take this further. All PCW footage is copyright of Preston City Wrestling Ltd.

Ditto !!!!!!!

Just out of interest, as the thread in question has been locked, how do you two feel on the improper use of WWE and other such footage?

This is mainly to south side who I know has a stall at his shows run by someone selling DVDs using footage owned by WWE.

I don't think this was answered, would any one care to. I ask again as I have just watched a WWE footage loaded video at pcw to promote a pcw show. If fludder wants to drop by on that one.