UFC 144: 'Edgar vs Henderson' Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just looking at Hunt's record for the first time, can anyone tell me how he got a UFC call up after a 5 fight losing streak outside the organisation.

It was something to do with his old Pride contract which rolled over and was un-cuttable. The UFC did try to just pay him off, but fair play to him, he didn't want that and wanted to fight to earn his pay.

Just looking at Hunt's record for the first time, can anyone tell me how he got a UFC call up after a 5 fight losing streak outside the organisation.

It was something to do with his old Pride contract which rolled over and was un-cuttable. The UFC did try to just pay him off, but fair play to him, he didn't want that and wanted to fight to earn his pay.

Thanks for answering.

I've voted Edgar by Decision and Rampage by Decision. Never count out Frankie, he's my favourite fighter in the UFC in and out the cage.

I'd rather of seen Hunt face Struve or Nelson. I think they'd be more entertaining and there would've been a higher chance of those two standing with Hunt. I see Kongo taking it to the ground early and winning with ground and pound in the first round. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Paid Members

can't see anything other than Kongo taking Hunt down and pounding him out. Cheick Kongo is a guy that has taken the safest path to victory in the past and you can't knock him for that, i don't think he has any reason to even attempt to stand with Hunt. Kongo via 2nd round TKO. As a Hunt fan-boy i'd hate to see it, but that how i think it's gonna go.

and does anyone else think this could be it for Rampage Jackson? there's been rumblings for years that he's ready to hang them up, and then there's always the talk that of him only getting motivated by certain fights. I don't think Bader's an opponent that motivates Rampage but he's stated that fighting in Japan does, so does anyone else feel that Rampage is looking to go out with one last hurrah in the country that pretty much made his career? I'd also love to see a classic Rampage performance, i wanna see him come out aggressive and fight like he used too, im fed up of seeing Rampage the boxer, i wanna see Rampage the fighter.

Top to bottom, probably my favourite UFC on paper in ages. The lightweights are my favourite division, so to have them bookend the main card with Edgar/Henderson and Pettis/Lauzon is bliss. I'm hoping Rampage is indeed motivated in Japan and goes for the kill against Bader, who I believe is vastly overrated, his most impressive win was against Jardine. Sexyama, despite his recent record, is never in a shit fight, so hopefully he should knock the boring out of Shields. I'm also a huge Hunt fanboy, so hoping for the slight upset here. If he loses, is that his contract fulfilled? A win should get him re-signed, WAR HUNT.

The prelims have that great Japan vs. The World thing going on. Gutted for the loss of Sots, but Gomi should use the opportunity as a showcase. I'm hoping Boestch steamrolls Okami, I still haven't forgiven him for the Marquardt fight. Hioki has a chance to atone for his debut against Bartimus, that'll be fireworks, as will the Kid vs. Lee fight, I expect stand up wars there.

One curious aspect of the card is Tiequan Zhang. He obliterated the can of cans in Jason Reinhardt, but his second fight against Darren Elkins either exposed him as a one trick pony, the Asian Cody Mackenzie, or perhaps just a bad gameplan. But I'm actually picking Nam Phan to win that fight.

• Paid Members
does anyone else think this could be it for Rampage Jackson? there's been rumblings for years that he's ready to hang them up, and then there's always the talk that of him only getting motivated by certain fights. I don't think Bader's an opponent that motivates Rampage but he's stated that fighting in Japan does, so does anyone else feel that Rampage is looking to go out with one last hurrah in the country that pretty much made his career? I'd also love to see a classic Rampage performance, i wanna see him come out aggressive and fight like he used too, im fed up of seeing Rampage the boxer, i wanna see Rampage the fighter.

If he loses then probably, yes. He's stated publicly often enough that he'll take acting jobs over MMA if they pay better. He didn't want the Bader fight but spat his dummy out massively over not being originally booked for this Japan card (I think they wanted him for a Fox show) but the compromise for fighting in Japan was obviously having to face Bader. I still think he's got a couple of main events left in him (Rashad, Wandy maybe) but I don't see him as a contender these days. Because he's been in the fight game for so long it's easy to forget he's only 33. There's no reason he can't take a couple of years off & if he gets the desire come back. Might be good for him.

Next week's UFC 144 event will feature seven main-card bouts instead of the usual five.

Zuffa official Ryan Grab today confirmed the extra-large lineup, which is slated to run four hours.

UFC 144 takes place Feb. 25 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. In addition to the main card, which airs in its normal Saturday-night timeslot with a Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson headliner, prelims air on FX.

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson (for lightweight title)

Ryan Bader vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

Cheick Kongo vs. Mark Hunt

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields

Tim Boetsch vs. Yushin Okami

Hatsu Hioki and Bart Palaszewski

Joe Lauzon vs. Anthony Pettis

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)

Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka

Vaughan Lee vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Steve Cantwell vs. Riki Fukuda

Chris Cariaso vs. Takeya Mizugaki

Issei Tamura vs. Tiequan Zhang

From MMAJunkie, so a 4 hour main card starting at 3am,

• Paid Members
7 fight main card! wow, guessing that has something to do with Japan liking their shows long.

Yeah most likely. Wonder if this is a one off cos it's Japan or if they will do this more.

I'm loving these plus size main cards. 7 fight main card for this and 6 fights on FUEL. I'm guessing FUEL are more flexible with time than Spike were cos Spike had more programming so that might have something to do with that.

But the 7 fights on this Japan main show surprised me a bit. I'm not complaining like, but them securing an extra hour on PPV is something they didn't even do for UFC 100 so I wonder why they did it here? I'm sure we'll get the reasons when Helwani inevitably asks Dana.

I like it though. I know it's said a lot now but we really are spoiled. It wasn't long ago when the only way to see prelims was to download them the next day (even then you couldn't always count on the quality) or wait for the DVD release. Now it's possible to watch every fight on every show live in one way or another.

• Paid Members

its unreal these days. When i first started watching MMA i'd get to see one PPV every 3 months, and i was lucky if they added 1 prelim to the main card. When i first got into there was obiviously certain UFC 45 when Pedro Rizzo/Ricco Rodriguez was on the prelims, i was f'n gutted! There was literally no way to watch the fight at the time other than to wait for the DVD which came out months later (the fight turned out to be a stinker too, haha).

How times have changed.

Archived