Will Royal Rumble 2012 Match Be Worth Watching This Year ?

boydy122

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Certainly doesn't mean it won't be worth watching. It opens up more opportunities. Say Cena is WWE Champ at Rumble time, someone, Miz or Punk would work nicely at this stage, could make it clear that it's their intentions to win the Rumble and insert themselves into that match, claiming their title shot, or request Rocks match gets postponed. Of course that won't happen, but might make an interesting possible angle for someone to have going into the Rumble match and their motives.

Also, D-Bry said he's cashing in at Wrestlemania. That doesn't mean he's going to do it the classy way. If history has taught him anything and he's got any wrestling smarts he should anticipate not being booked on the 'Mania card and then cash in following Rock - Cena ...if that happens to somehow end up being for the World title of course.

Nobody except us Internet twerps gives a solitary toss about Rock's schedule meaning he won't win the title. Of course he could win the title and vacate it, or wrestle at the next month's event. I don't think anyone here would even think the belt makes the result a foregone conclusion, let alone real people.

The argument against is that the match doesn't need the belt. Which is a fair point, but if the WWE title bout is Del Rio vs Riley, Kingston vs Miz etc halfway down the card, it doesn't do much for the prestige of the belt. The Rock vs Cena match would elevate the title rather than the other way round.

I wouldn't have thought the WWE title match will be halfway down the card, it never is. That's the place of Smackdown belt. I'd also wager that whoever is in the Raw title match will have been sufficiently elevated to make us care. Whether it be one of the blokes you mention there or even somebody else.

I also think you're making light of Rock's schedule a little too easily. He got crucified against Brock at Summerslam all those years ago. Sure that was in New York, but other crowds have turned against him. Hell, he even cancelled his appearance on the following Raw after that Summerslam because of crowd reaction. And given the references to "Dwayne" by CM Punk, that could cause a backlash too - depending on how over Punk remains this Autumn.

I'm sure people wondered about Rocks schedule when he won the Undisputed title in the Triple Threat match with Taker & Angle way back when. No-one expected him to win that night, but he did.

He had only just begun his movie career then though IIRC. (Mid 2002?). Now, its pretty much a given that he's an actor who very rarely wrestles. This'll be his first match in what, 5 years?

I wouldn't have thought the WWE title match will be halfway down the card, it never is. That's the place of Smackdown belt. I'd also wager that whoever is in the Raw title match will have been sufficiently elevated to make us care. Whether it be one of the blokes you mention there or even somebody else.

I'm with Pitcos on this one. In between pushing Punk (who should really be facing Triple H at Wrestlemania) and the Rock/Cena match, I can't see where there's room to give someone else a big enough push to make a separate RAW title match look anything but smalltime. If the last few years have proved anything, it's that elevating someone enough to make us care is hard, and the title alone certainly isn't enough to do it. Miz had a 6-month push going into last year's card, and he still looked horribly out of place next to two bonafide superstars.

The world title NEEDS this match to get back some of the prestige its lost over the last several years, IMO.

I also think you're making light of Rock's schedule a little too easily. He got crucified against Brock at Summerslam all those years ago. Sure that was in New York, but other crowds have turned against him. Hell, he even cancelled his appearance on the following Raw after that Summerslam because of crowd reaction. And given the references to "Dwayne" by CM Punk, that could cause a backlash too - depending on how over Punk remains this Autumn.

I'm not sure whether you're insinuating that Rock may get booed next year, but it's in his home town, many people who've bought tickets well in advance will have done so primarily for the opportunity to see The Rock live, and he's facing possibly the most hated man in Wrestlemania history. There'll be no backlash in Miami.

I'm not sure whether you're insinuating that Rock may get booed next year, but it's in his home town, many people who've bought tickets well in advance will have done so primarily for the opportunity to see The Rock live, and he's facing possibly the most hated man in Wrestlemania history. There'll be no backlash in Miami.

Bollocks, I had no idea it was in Miami. My point is now worthless.

Carry on.

• Paid Members
Rock vs Cena should absolutely be a WWE title match, for me. It's the biggest match in a decade, the WWE title looks bigger being on the line in Rock vs Cena than Kofi Kingston vs Alberto Del Rio or whatever.. Sure Rock and Cena don't need it, but they could do wonders for the title (although the pair of them made it look like shit this year at Mania).

After ready this I change my mind, Pitcos is right. It should be for the title.

Also The Rock could quite easily say in a promo something like "I respect what this belt means and how important it is so if I win and become Champion I will pull out all my movies and defend it every single night". The average fan (alot of them children) would probably go alogn with it and it makes the belt sound like the most important thing in the world.

After ready this I change my mind, Pitcos is right. It should be for the title.

Also The Rock could quite easily say in a promo something like "I respect what this belt means and how important it is so if I win and become Champion I will pull out all my movies and defend it every single night". The average fan (alot of them children) would probably go alogn with it and it makes the belt sound like the most important thing in the world.

Surely it would kill the rest of he card? Having two title matches along with Rock/Cena as a special attraction sounds a lot better to me. Also the thought of Cena in yet another WrestleMania title match sounds dreadful to me.

Ideally Cena/Rocky should be for the title. It would do wonders to make the title seem something again and plus it will all around be more exciting to watch as a fan. Then they should have the WHC match involving the RR winner winning the title at Elimination Chamber or some shit to defend against Bryan (although I doubt he will make it till then). Meanwhile they should start building up the other titles with some fresh feuds and 'better' booking. Have some storylines instead of Ziggler/Kingston match #59.

I thought they should have put Del Rio as IC champion against Edge too at this years WrestleMania. It would have been much better than Barrett being jobbed out and making the belt look like shit

Surely it would kill the rest of he card? Having two title matches along with Rock/Cena as a special attraction sounds a lot better to me. Also the thought of Cena in yet another WrestleMania title match sounds dreadful to me.

But he's already in the main event - call me old fashioned, but the main event might as well be for the world title. Let's say for argument's sake the RAW world title match ends up being between, say, Rey and Del Rio. Then, if the potential Punk/HHH storyline plays out as it could, you have a bigger match there, and another one if Taker comes back to defend the streak. You're left with the prospect of the world title match being only the 4th-biggest match at Wrestlemania, and that's mental if they want to get back to the point where the title means something.

Put it on the line during Rock/Cena, though, and the title is then the focal point of not just the biggest match on the show, but probably the biggest match in a decade.

But he's already in the main event - call me old fashioned, but the main event might as well be for the world title. Let's say for argument's sake the RAW world title match ends up being between, say, Rey and Del Rio. Then, if the potential Punk/HHH storyline plays out as it could, you have a bigger match there, and another one if Taker comes back to defend the streak. You're left with the prospect of the world title match being only the 4th-biggest match at Wrestlemania, and that's mental if they want to get back to the point where the title means something.

Put it on the line during Rock/Cena, though, and the title is then the focal point of not just the biggest match on the show, but probably the biggest match in a decade.

I think that the Rock coming back to fight today's biggest star is huge enough in itself. Putting the title on the line for it would make it even bigger, but at the same time could make the whole event a one-match card. I'd much rather stack the card from top to bottom than throw everything at one match. I just think that the prospect of a potential dream match is enough. Not just that, I think it'd be beneficial for different stars to be involved in a title match at the biggest event of the year. Cena has been in some sort of main title match since 2005, whilst The Rock is a star from yesteryear who won't be around post-WrestleMania. In the long term it may be better for the WWE to put new stars in the title scene.

• Paid Members

Its putting the title in a special attraction match though. Dream matches dont need title belts. I'm not a fan of having the belt on the line for that match. Its a match that doesnt need the title in it. If done right, Triple H vs CM Punk is the match I want to see for the title at WrestleMania. Doesnt have to be the main event, either. Giving the belt to Cena to defend against the Rock would be putting WrestleMania in danger of being even more of a one man show than it actually is (especially if the Undertaker is off the card, like is being touted).

• Paid Members
There is no way Daniel Bryan is facing the Champion at Wrestlemania and Rock/Cena doesn't need the title and would be better off without it. At this point, it's impossible to see what WWE's long term plans are.

I agree with this almost 100%. It implies that the WWE have long term booking plans, and I'm not convinced that other than presenting Cena vs Rock at WMXXVIII, that they have any. I get the feeling that stuff is constantly pencilled in and changed as they go along.

But that makes sense - talent relations, "levels of overness" and relying on people not to be injured or suspended simply aren't as stable as they were back in the day when Vince could, for instance, tell Hitman over Christmas 1991 that he would lose and regain the IC strap to Shawn Michaels the following fall before Michaels had even gone solo and gotten over in singles.

Probably not the best example as that didn't actually come to pass, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying. Any plans for, say, face-turned Sheamus vs Wade Barratt feud for 'Mania season could easily get binned if Sheamus doesn't get over as a face or an injury crisis on Raw forces one to switch brand. Even this year the writing seemed on the wall for a slow build for Cena vs new Nexus leader Punk at 'Mania and Hunter to return to get revenge on Sheamus, and that didn't happen.

They'll cobble together something last minute like always. So to answer the thread question... no point asking it now. Ask again nearer the time.

I agree with this almost 100%. It implies that the WWE have long term booking plans, and I'm not convinced that other than presenting Cena vs Rock at WMXXVIII, that they have any. I get the feeling that stuff is constantly pencilled in and changed as they go along.

Funny you should say that, this popped up on SEScoops today:

- In a move that is sure to please many fans, WWE is planning to make changes to its booking philosphy, namely, focusing on more long-term booking. WWE made an unprecedented move several months back by announcing John Cena vs. The Rock for next year’s WrestleMania a full year in advance – and it appears we’ll be seeing more big matches set up this way. This is somewhat of an “old school” approach – with the company deciding on a featured match and then ‘working backwards’

• Paid Members
There is no way Daniel Bryan is facing the Champion at Wrestlemania and Rock/Cena doesn't need the title and would be better off without it. At this point, it's impossible to see what WWE's long term plans are.

It might not need the title to draw, but it certainly wouldn't do it any harm and might even add to the match. If The Rock won the WWE title one more time at Wrestlemania it'd be absolutely massive. It'd probably help boost the mainstream press coverage too.

Archived