Working conditions in TNA

perfectbluefan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be fair, the idea that you may be heavily leaned upon to partake in extremely risky stunts; poorly, if at all, looked after when injured and badly paid in the process is not limited to one wrestling company. It's not even limited to small promotions, the WWE's boom period was made out of such shoddy tactics.

• Paid Members
the WWE's boom period was made out of such shoddy tactics.

I don't remember Hulk Hogan having his arm twisted into being slammed through a table covered in tacks.

Sorry, the last boom period.

Literally everyone who's surname wasn't Maivia or Austin was hogpressed into ridiculous stunts, then made to work the following night. And, if Test was to believed they earnt fuck all as well.

*EDIT* Actually didn't Mae Young get convinced by Patterson to get powerbombed off the stage by Bubba Ray, and then it came out later in a Trish interview (I think) that Mae cried backstage before it happened. That's mental.

You may be right, but I'm sure I read she didn't want to do it because she got banged up pretty bad being put through the table the first time. Either way, i'm not disputing wrestling is full of mentalists; i'm just saying that no company has ever been particularly union-friendly and lots of people have been made to take ridiculous stunts, for little money and then expected to work with the injuries they got from said ridiculous stunt.

Literally everyone who's surname wasn't Maivia or Austin was hogpressed into ridiculous stunts, then made to work the following night. And, if Test was to believed they earnt fuck all as well.

They shouldn't have done it then, the muppets. "The promoter made me do it against my will" is a terrible excuse for being an idiot and making choices you regret. Nathan Jones didn't fancy the WWE schedule and he just fucked it off and went home. Any of them could do the same.

• Paid Members

Oh sure, I can imagine that conversation clear as day.

Patterson : "Listen to me Mae, da Dudley Boy come down and Bubs powerbomb you off da fuckin' ramp. Do it else da guy in da back wont respec' ya, an' we wont use ya again."

Mae : < dribbles >

• Paid Members
They shouldn't have done it then, the muppets. "The promoter made me do it against my will" is a terrible excuse for being an idiot and making choices you regret. Nathan Jones didn't fancy the WWE schedule and he just fucked it off and went home. Any of them could do the same.

This is what it comes down to. If the money isnt coming in, why are you doing the stupid stunts? That bump she took through the barbed wire board was ridiculous, and if she knew there wasnt money in it at the end, then its her own fault.

It goes back to the reason ROH fans are complaining that Colt Cabana is a pure comedy wrestler who wont turn heel. ROH isnt his main income, so why would he hamper his popularity around certain regions of the market to turn heel and work a less safer style than his current clown act. Around the country, that comedy gimmick is seen by people who dont watch ROH. So him being a mad hatter probably sells him a shitload of 8x10's and headbands to the little lads who notice him. Cabana is a testiment to what a modern independent wrestler should be, for me. The biggest pop I've ever seen Daniel Bryan get was at an All Star show when the little kids (who went backstage for autographs from him) were chanting "619" at him, because he had a mask on. Cabana's created a gimmick which can get over for NWA Hollywood, JCW or All Star Wrestling, he markets little shit bits of merchandise which the fans lap up at live events and he finds other avenues to promote himself in other areas. And this is after his WWE stint died on its arse. He isnt bitter, he got on with it and got over. And he doesnt fall of the top rope doing that style. These TNA wrestlers should do the same if the pay isnt there. Thats what I'd do, if my money wasnt worth the hassle at work.

Archived