Your favourite five tracks of the moment

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

They don't just have to be new ones or anything, just songs you have on heavy rotation at the moment or that you can't get enough of for whatever reason.

I realise this thread may turn very metallic very soon, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway :(

1)

- love this one, probably heard it on 6Music and I've not tired of it just yet.

2)

- eighties one hit wonder quality. Probably found in the 80s music thread.

3)

- this has become my favourite PSB song recently for some reason, though it may revert back to Suburbia soon.

4)

- probably a Mr Seven recommendation, I think. Fucking love it.

5)

- this is always in my top 5, my favourite of all time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you said they don't have to be new!

1)

Yes I know it's a cover, but have been hot on this band for a long time. They take the BoB original, and tweak it just enough with new lyrics and a different instrumental twist.

2)

Since I heard this tune, it went into standard playlist rotation and stayed there...nuff said

3) Stone Sour - Hell & Consequence

Some call them Slipknot-lite...I call them the other side to Corey Taylor. A band going from strength to strength, and this track is probably one of their strongest.

4) Skillet - Rebirthing

UKFF may know them as the band behind the themes to Hell in a Cell and Royal Rumble 2010, this track comes from their earlier "Comatose" album.

5) Alter Bridge - Coeur D'Alene

In truth, I could have chosen almost any track from ABIII, but this one is just full of emotion, and a hook that embeds itself in your brain and stays. Not just chosen for Myles Kennedy's vocals, but also for the sheer intricacies of Mark Tremonti's guitar.

• Paid Members
2)
- eighties one hit wonder quality. Probably found in the 80s music thread.

I love this track. That first snare hit in the intro is like a thunderclap.

Five tracks that have brought me joy this week.

1) Joe Satriani - Until We Say Goodbye

In the middle of an album that moved away from the banalicised super rock guitarist stuff, Satch chucks in this gem of a "ballad". Echoing the styles of earlier favourites Always With Me, Always With You and Crying, whilst embracing elements of electronica, it's probably the perfect response to those that argue that you can't be technically accomplished and still play emotively.

2) The Blues Brothers - Green Onions (live)

This is one that freaked me out when I first heard it. The original is a classic, and pretty untouchable. There is no way this live version should be as good as it is. Elwood delivers a brilliant pro-America monologue in the middle that doesn't come across as xenophobic, whipping the audience into almost a frenzy before the organ comes back in.

3) Abba - SOS

I don't give a shit what anyone thinks, Abba were a fucking great group. Good singers, good musicians, good songwriting, and arrangements that made use of the eras recording technology as well as anyone else around. Love the quasi-classical piano work in this.

4) Iron Maiden - The Evil That Men Do (Rock in Rio)

This wasn't an immediate favourite for me from the Seventh Son album (probably down to it following two other strong tracks), but this live version fucking charges along like a freight train. Whilst the band play with their trademark tightness, Nicko absolutely shines on this. It's a fair bit faster than the studio version, and the mix lets you clearly hear Nicko's bass drum going like the clappers. To further rub it in, the DVD gives you several shots of his right foot, lest you forget he only plays a single bass. At the end there's a reaction shot of Nicko raising his eyebrows and going, "Whew!".

5) Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera

Diddley-diddley diddley-diddley diddley-diddley duhn duhn!

12 beats to a bar of super synchronised guitars and bass, providing perfect accompaniment to a cold bottle of Lucozade.

1)

Never listened to Elvis Costello before and was only really familiar with Oliver's Army and his respective cameos in Austin Powers and Frasier. This is among his biggest hits (I think) so I'm sure nobody'll be hearing it for the first time, but it's awesome. It's a great hook and I love how many times they hit it in 3 minutes, rather than arsing about teasing it and that.

2)

Shamefully I've never listened to much Das EFX but I stumbled across a download of their 1993 album 'Straight Up Sewaside' while trawling through the back-waters of my hard drive last night looking for something good to listen to. Scanning the track list it occurred to me that it would be literally impossible for me not to love a song called 'Check it Out' released by an affiliate of EPMD in 1993, and FOOK me I wasn't wrong. One of the best things I've heard in an age, jumped out of my chair almost involuntarily and started dancing round the room, pretending the mouse-pad on my laptop was a cross-fader, etc. I thought I was pretty much through with discovering hip hop to love but now I'm going to have to spend 6 months devouring everything Das EFX have ever done. The rest of the album is great too, as if I needed to tell you, and apparently it isn't even their best.

3) The Four Lads - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

Can't remember why it occurred to me to look this up on Youtube last night, but I did. Spent half an hour or so memorising the lyrics. It's really funny, not just a novelty song, not that there's anything wrong with novelty songs. Looked up the They Might Be Giants cover while I was at it but didn't dig.

4) Burial & Four Tet - Moth

Been in love with this for weeks, would've been number 1 until the last few days when I inevitably began to overplay it a bit. Hypnotic all the way through and doesn't seem long despite it's 9 minute running time. Dancable and sittable. The other side of the same EP 'Wolfcub' is nice too. Need to get into this Four Tet fella I think, not aware of much else he's done apart from the Madvillainy remix album he released years ago but I hear his name alot.

5)

Couldn't find this on youtube, so that link takes you to a version of the song done by the Versatiles, which pales in comparison to the version I've got by Junior Byles on a collection called 'Lee Scratch Perry & Friends - Cutting Razor: Rare Cuts from the Black Ark.' Predictably brilliant for a track produced by Lee Scratch Perry I especially like the juxtaposition between the restrained malice in the hook ('Like a cutting razor you better watch my sides I'm dangerous..') and the lazy good-time bounce that the song retains. And the BASSLINE. Great track, I think I got the collection in a bundle of torrents so should be easy to find with a google search.

1. Alice Cooper- Is Anyone Home? Dunno why I never heard this before. Had the album for a long time but recently I've fallen for this song big time. Never gets old thus far.

Comedy song, but it's nice to hear one that is actually very clever. One for anagram fans.

Good bit of classic Pennywise. I've always loved this song.

Something from a more recent album which I've warmed to for now.

5. Monster Magnet- Slap in the FaceI've got the new album Mastermind, but since my cars still in the shop (grr) I've listened to 4 Way Diablo more.

Great idea for a thread.

In no particular order...

Jay-Z - Run This Town

Not the biggest hip hop fan, but I've always really liked Jay-Z. Since I've been working out more lately, this is always at the top of that playlist, great chorus hook too.

Biffy Clyro - That Golden Rule

Never really got the hype with these guys of late, I remember seeing them supporting anyone and everyone around 10 years ago when they were still exclusively a hardcore band. After they raised eyebrows by bagging the Sonisphere headline spot I decided to check them out a bit more and picked up thier Only Revolutions record and this one just jumped out at me. Proper arena rock and a great energy.

Kanye West - Hell of a Life

Yeah, another rap track. Basically the whole record this is from, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, is absolutely brilliant. This is my favourite off said album and I just can't get enough of it, with it's great beat and Iron Man-esque chorus it's just killer.

I've always liked The Prodigy but for some reason hadn't picked up Invaders Must Die until a few months ago. It's now my favourite album of thiers. This track is just stomping, I'm putting together a cover of it in my band, it sounds awesome with all the guitars. It's just a great melody and gets me pumped up.

Metallica - Whiplash

My favourite band so they're almost always gonna be in a list like this. Can't get enough of Whiplash right now, it's just pure agression. I particularly like this version I've linked from Rock AM Ring 2008, Metallica have been on great live form in the last few years.

Those Dancing Days - Hitten plays all the time in work, and a nice little pop band - plus the curly haired singer may be the love of my life.

Anathema - Dreaming Light can't get enough of these guys, always skeptical when my metalhead mate recommends me stuff, but he was on to a winner with these guys!

These next two have been me in the mood to party, but a las I've gotta stay in and do Uni work. I love this song. Couldn't find the normal record though on the tube!

One of my favorite bands, perfect power pop.

Clint Mansell - A Swan Song (For Nina) saw Black Swan recently, and all the music has been in my head. Didn't realise how much of the Swan Lake music I knew!

For me its pretty much ALL metal...

Iron Maiden - The Clansman. Just got the first session of a tattoo getting the Clansman on my thigh as this is my favourite track. So been listening it to it a lot.

]Black Label Society - Bleed For Me An absolutely cracking bit of music. Loud, VERY heavy beat and just an all round great track.

Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction A classic from this band, made even better by their performance at the Sonisphere festival last year as part of the Big 4. Absolutely flawless version. Really tight and note perfect.

Slash's Snakepit - Mean Bone A great, fast paced Rock 'n Roll track. Nothing fancy about it, just a straightforward Rock track. you can almost picture Slash standing blasting out the riff to this one!

Dire Straights- Sultans Of Swing Probably the most flawlessly performed track i have ever heard. A pretty up-tempo track, it just screams absolute perfection.

Greg Kinnear - Summertime

This is actually a cover of Billy Stewart's version of this song, and it's from the film Stuck On You. Greg Kinnear sings it right at the end. I just love it.

Kim Yung Il - I'm So Ronery

Recently watch Team America again and me and the missus laughed so hard at this song that I just had to download it. Good for a giggle.

Creed - My Sacrifice

Reminiscing about wrestling made me remember this track from a Steve Austin montage. I'm not a a fan of this type of music but quite like this track.

Eminem - Untitled

One of the best tracks from his latest album. Catchy back track and some great lyrics.

Michael Buble - You're Nobody Until Somebody Love You

A bit soppy, but reminds me of my wedding day, and it's a cracking song.

I like threads like these, gives me a chance to listen to some new music - as well as reminisce over some past classics. On heavy rotation currently:

The Beatles - Come Together

I've been listening to Abbey Road a lot over the last month or so, but I find myself re-playing the first track over and over. Lennon ripping off Chuck Berry - but doing it to perfection. Its great live too, he plays it during the Stop The War gig in NYC.

Teenage Fanclub - Baby Lee

Nothing fancy or groundbreaking here, but just simple pop music with a middle-of-summer-melody. From their most recent album, Shadows.

Beady Eye - The Roller

Oasis are my favourite band, and although this song is just a rip off of Instant Karma/All You Need Is Love, its still pretty good. I just love Liam's Voice.

Stereophonics - Traffic

Heard it on Absolute Radio 90s the other night, and it made me dig up the whole of the first Sterophonics album. Just a brilliant, brilliant song and album.

Supergrass - Sun Hits The Sky

Re-discovered because of the advert on TV with Gaz Coombes in. Another 90s anthem....I AM A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!

• Paid Members

Suicide Is Painless: Manic Street Preachers. I love this cover so much, I listen to it pretty much every day and have done for a few years.

. Fantastic track, always gets me energised.

Save Me: Remy Zero. Its just... catchy. Noting special about it, but damn I cant help but love it.

. I've been on a total 90s trip recently, and this is one of my favourites.

Wide Open Space: Manson. Continuing my 90s trip.

1. Diane by Mike Doughty-A very emotive, but also catchy and upbeat love song from one of my favourite singer-songwriters.

2. Take This Job And Shove It by Dead Kennedys-A cover of a wonderful David Allen Coe song twisted and turned until it becomes another sub-two minute masterpiece from Jello and the boys.

3. Janie Jones by The Clash-As Jack Black said to John Cusack when the latter picked this track in a top-five list, "VERY PUSSY!". It is an obvious choice after all, but it rules.

4. Indians by Anthrax-Been listening to the Wacken 2004 live version of this with John Bush singing a lot recently, his booming voice fits this metal epic perfectly.

5. Serve The Servants by Nirvana-Underrated? Overrated? I love them because of songs like this, an off-kilter scuzz-fest that sounds like it could go off the rails at any second.

I love this idea for a thread by the way, if it is still floating around I might nip back and post another list next week.

Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera

Diddley-diddley diddley-diddley diddley-diddley duhn duhn!

12 beats to a bar of super synchronised guitars and bass, providing perfect accompaniment to a cold bottle of Lucozade.

And the Bungee Colonel Sanders KFC advert:p

1. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail- Mansun

Got the the 3 disc special edition of 'Attack of the Grey Lantern' last week and found this on here, not heard it before, stunning

2. Drones- Mansun

Never far away from the CD rotation for the last 3 years or so, this triple album (Kleptomania), just keeps giving and giving and giving

Perfect fodder for a lazy chilled day sublime

Big Bassline, some mid 1990's Post Grunge and a killer riff around and around and around and around

Relive the attack on Autobot City (Metroplex) again and again from the Transformers Movie sound track and the Megatron Fight with Optimus, the Formation of Devastator, it's all there.

Edit: Fixed Links

Great thread!

Really strong new album, this track always makes me want to dance. Catchy as fuck too.

Brilliant new EP, brilliant performance. This guy is amazing.

Terrific cover by my favourite band. Apparently the next album is gonna be alot like this, I can only hope.

I love the build-up. Need to catch these guys live sometime.

I don't care, it's catchy as fuck!

Just looked on Last.fm and it seems I've been listening to these a lot recently:

- Lovely stuff. 'Nu-Gaze', I believe the kids are calling it.

- I'm pretty sure I used to dislike this. God knows why, because it's magic.

- This is the live From the Basement version, because it's probably the best version on YouTube. Last minute and a half or so is particularly glorious.

- 'Gothic Florence Welch' is how (I think) The Guardian described her. As descriptions go, that's probably a bit lazy but it's the best you're getting.

- I think it's a GTA: Vice City thing. Probably my favourite cheesy 80s pop song at the minute. If you click on that link, you might notice Youtube suggesting you listen to Norah Jones' cover version. Don't. It's fucking reprehensible.

Archived