Favourite Android Apps

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Just got a new phone on trial, HTC Wildfire. Seems OK so far apart from my fingers being too fat to type properly.

I like the Android "market" much more than the Ovi store. I've downloaded the Kindle app, Angry Birds (doesn't work :(), ebay app and facebook app. Anyone got any favourites that one should look into?

I did find a Macho Man soundboard but that didn't work either.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got a new phone on trial, HTC Wildfire. Seems OK so far apart from my fingers being too fat to type properly.

I like the Android "market" much more than the Ovi store. I've downloaded the Kindle app, Angry Birds (doesn't work :( ), ebay app and facebook app. Anyone got any favourites that one should look into?

I did find a Macho Man soundboard but that didn't work either.

What version of Android is the phone running? Angry Birds will run on any Android 2.1 or higher device. However, if it's shown in your Market app, you should be able to play. It'll be the bane of your existence.

I don't really have many apps, but I agree with you. The Market is much better than Ovi Store. I do use the GOAL.com app for football scores from any league, the Youtube app is great, GMail app, the IMDb app is great if you're into movies, myPlayer will let you watch a few TV channels, and Tweetcaster, for Twitter.

• Paid Members

the last FM app is an essential for me, if you're looking for a good little strategy game, check out the demo for Age of Conquest. It's a bit like Risk, or Defender of the Crown if you remember that. Cardiotrainer is a good one if you do much outdoor exercise, Soccer livescores is the one I probably use most. Does what it says on the tin, and you'd love it Rick. Instant live scores, plus scorers and cards, for pretty much any football you want. You can filter it down too (IE get rid of the Iraqi third division) great app. TuneIn Radio is one I sometimes use for listening to sport too.

• Paid Members
What version of Android is the phone running? Angry Birds will run on any Android 2.1 or higher device. However, if it's shown in your Market app, you should be able to play. It'll be the bane of your existence.

Got it working now. it doesn't display correctly but read on a forum that if you put the phone in and out of sleep mode, it works! Odd but true.

Here is what I use regularly.

Google Maps

TuneIn Radio - Web Radio Application with a big database

ES File Explorer - File explorer with samba share

FeedR - RSS reader

Plume - Twitter application

eBuddy - Web-chat with multiple different clients like MSN, AIM, Google Talk.

Launcher Pro Premium for my launcher

adb-wireless for connecting to adb not really sure how adb works really but it allows me to take screenshots so that's all I want :)

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members
Cardiotrainer is a good one if you do much outdoor exercise, Soccer livescores is the one I probably use most. Does what it says on the tin, and you'd love it Rick. Instant live scores, plus scorers and cards, for pretty much any football you want. You can filter it down too (IE get rid of the Iraqi third division) great app. TuneIn Radio is one I sometimes use for listening to sport too.

These three are superb apps (although TuneIn radio recently re-buffers more than I would like) and I use them frequently. Soccer livescores keeps getting better and better- not long ago started to include full line-ups for many games inc subs.

APPS

Tweetcaster is a must if you have Twitter, easily the best Twitter app for Android. I've found WinAmp to be better than the default Android or HTC music player and TubeMate is also excellent for watching & downloading YouTube videos (also enables convert to mp3). Colournote is a decent reminder/checklist/notes app that is in the form of a post-it that you can slap on your home screen. RAC traffic is very good if you are on the road a lot. The official eBay app is fantastic, highly recommended. As for a decent Wikipedia app- Quickipedia was easily the best, but for some reason it rarely works since I updated it months ago. Wapedia is now my choice- still not as good as Quicki before it went shit, but better than the Wiki official app.

GAMES

Solitaire (it's just called that, easy to find, though I don't think you can dl it for Wildfire) is the best solitaire game I can find- with 4 different versions and nice enough graphics. The air traffic games are quite fun for a short while. Alchemy is insanely addictive. Angry Birds doesn't seem to work on my wife's Wildfire, and it is severely slow on Hero. Hungry Shark is fun for a short while. I get bored of games pretty quickly on phones. However there is a SNES emulator which is pretty good, though only the paid version has a gamesave function, which is a pain considering I just wanted to play Zelda.

PaddyPower isn't available for my phone- HTC Hero :(

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Just got the new Galaxy Nexus. A little late whilst they sorted out that volume rocker issue, but it's here now.

Never had an Android phone before so lay it on me - top apps gentlemen. Go!

No?

OK, then how about just telling me what the best music player is to save me trying out all of them? Thanks in advance my fine jerkwads! xxx

Just got the new Galaxy Nexus. A little late whilst they sorted out that volume rocker issue, but it's here now.

Never had an Android phone before so lay it on me - top apps gentlemen. Go!

No?

OK, then how about just telling me what the best music player is to save me trying out all of them? Thanks in advance my fine jerkwads! xxx

Pro Player takes some beating.

Also Google Mobilism

Archived