The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

Bought a Blackberry 8520 Curve a week ago. Love it. Best phone i've ever had and probably wont buy anything other than a Blackberry for a long time. Plus i work at a mobile phone shop and everyone there has them aswell, except for one guy who has an iPhone, but we just take the piss out of him for having it :p

I can heartily recommend the Nokia N900.

Cool apps include the console emulators (pair them up with the TV out cable and you're onto a winner), Qik (live video streaming from your phone plus automatic uploading to Youtube, Facebook, Myspace and wherever else you put your videos), gPodder (podcatcher - get all of your favourite podcasts without syncing with your computer), zootube (Youtube frontend - again, the TV out cable is your friend!), and a devilishly addictive little game called Angry Birds.

And you can even download EasyDeb, which lets you run "mainstream" Linux apps not designed for phones!

• Paid Members

I've got a Sony Ericsson Xperia, and its been fine for about a year and half until last week. The screen freezes when I flip the keyboard out. It doesnt go into landscape mode at all.. and sometimes I cant even get the screen to switch on. The phone still works (I can answer a call.. press buttons etc) but the screen is just blank!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.. any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Cool apps include the console emulators (pair them up with the TV out cable and you're onto a winner), Qik (live video streaming from your phone plus automatic uploading to Youtube, Facebook, Myspace and wherever else you put your videos), gPodder (podcatcher - get all of your favourite podcasts without syncing with your computer), zootube (Youtube frontend - again, the TV out cable is your friend!), and a devilishly addictive little game called Angry Birds.

And you can even download EasyDeb, which lets you run "mainstream" Linux apps not designed for phones!

I just got my n900 a few days ago and it's fucking awesome (posting from it right now as I'm too lazy to get out of bed). Just sorted out using EasyDeb to run Open Office and Gimp, next stop Megadrive emulator; it looks brilliant. I've seen online people using the emulator with tv out playing games with wii motes. hot shit...

The battery life is atrocious, but that's my only complaint so far...

• Paid Members

I have always had a Nokia phone over the past 10 years or so, but I think I'm going to break that tradition when my contract is up- they don't seem to be on the same level with the other smartphones (notably HTC Hero & iPhone). I'm thinking about picking up a HTC Hero- my friends swear by them, they are critically acclaimed (won gadget of the year in a big magazine, possibly Stuff or something) and they aren't made by Apple.

Anyone have one? Thoughts? Are the apps pretty damn sweet?

My Blackberry is the same if I use it to browse the net for an extended period of time, and i've heard a few others say the same, so it's a problem that seems to occur with most smart phones.

I just got my n900 a few days ago and it's fucking awesome (posting from it right now as I'm too lazy to get out of bed). Just sorted out using EasyDeb to run Open Office and Gimp, next stop Megadrive emulator; it looks brilliant. I've seen online people using the emulator with tv out playing games with wii motes. hot shit...

I'm interested in the N900. Is it possible to upgrade the battery?

• Moderators

Yeah, there is a different 3rd party battery that you can stick in it that has a better life, but it requires a different back cover, so you'll lose the cover for the camera. I don't know the specifics, but I read about it online and it people are generally positive. Maemo.org forums are a great place to get support for the n900, and also read about all the cool shit people are trying to do with it.

Edit: I have started playing angry birds since reading that original post about it; great game!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Yeah, there is a different 3rd party battery that you can stick in it that has a better life, but it requires a different back cover, so you'll lose the cover for the camera. I don't know the specifics, but I read about it online and it people are generally positive. Maemo.org forums are a great place to get support for the n900, and also read about all the cool shit people are trying to do with it.

Sounds interesting. My contract's up in November and the N900 is the front-runner, barring anything else that comes along which pulls my pants down. Reviews as you do new stuff would be massively appreciated.

Forgive me for sounding dense, but are these other smartphones a patch on the iPhone? It seems like the sheer range of thing an iPhone can do (particularly for a Mac user like me) makes it an inevitable purchase for me..