General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Just got back from seeing The Drop , I wasn't sure what to expect as even though I'm a fan of Gandolfini and Tom Hardy it seemed to sneak under the radar without much hype or advertisement which is normally a bad sign. I have to say it is one of the best films I have seen in years . Brilliant story , great character development and some real good twists and turns, I can't see why this didn't have a more hyped release to be honest.

I was recently listening to a podcast (B.S. Report) with guest Chuck Klosterman, who I absolutely love.

Anyway the conversation shifted to the subject of Eyes Wide Shut and how Chuck theorised that Kubrick used that film to show how Tom Cruise is a fraud and a closeted gay guy living a life based on lies.

It really is fascinating and I definitely recommend listening to those bits alone.

The few stories I've heard about Kubrick make me believe something like that wouldn't be off the table.

It's only a five minute conversation.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=12162143

Go to 50mins 15secs to start. It goes on til 54mins and they come back to it at 57mins (there is some talk about the show The Affair inbetween.)

I don't know too much about Stanley Kubrick, but if this theory is true then it automatically makes Eyes Wide Shut the greatest film of all time.

• Paid Members

This theory isn't new and has been discussed widely ever since the film was released.

It falls apart on several levels. Kubrick had absolutely no reason to chase after Cruise in this way. There was nothing to be gained from him exposing Cruise as gay or anything else for that matter. He never used his films for personal agenda.

Considering the strong friendship that he built up with Cruise and Nicole Kidman during filming, and just how strongly Cruise backed Kubrick's vision despite its mixed critical reception and the doubts of the money men, Kubrick was extremely unlikely to have had any such agenda.

Plus, if the Scientologists had even the slightest hint that Kubrick was up to something then they would have had Cruise out of there like a shot. Cruise still talks fondly about Kubrick to this day, and Eyes Wide Shut. Basically, it's all cobblers.

Eyes Wide Shut is an amazing film, by the way.

This theory isn't new and has been discussed widely ever since the film was released.

It falls apart on several levels. Kubrick had absolutely no reason to chase after Cruise in this way. There was nothing to be gained from him exposing Cruise as gay or anything else for that matter. He never used his films for personal agenda.

Considering the strong friendship that he built up with Cruise and Nicole Kidman during filming, and just how strongly Cruise backed Kubrick's vision despite its mixed critical reception and the doubts of the money men, Kubrick was extremely unlikely to have had any such agenda.

Plus, if the Scientologists had even the slightest hint that Kubrick was up to something then they would have had Cruise out of there like a shot. Cruise still talks fondly about Kubrick to this day, and Eyes Wide Shut. Basically, it's all cobblers.

Eyes Wide Shut is an amazing film, by the way.

Damn logic ruining things, but yeah what you say makes it sound rather unlikely.

Eyes Wide Shut is a film I will happily jump into if it's on, yet I never properly watch.. I barely remember anything from the film (apart from the sex.) and I've seen it a lot.

• Paid Members

Its all innocent. Basically I needed to put a written presentation together around the Nymphomaniac films and their audience reaction through the use of message boards, blogs etc. Got a ton of UKFF response to the film around the time one of you put the posters up on here. All innocent but any chance to chuck the UKFF into a graded uni work I'll take it.