Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

Guest the_uk_fan

The book is coming soon ...zkm2_benoit_book.jpgExpected release is Winter 2007 and different sites list is as being 225 - 250 pages long.Scott E. Williams wrote "Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW" and the 'About the Author' bit on Amazon.com says:

Scott E. Williams is a criminal-justice reporter and an award-winning wrestling columnist for The Galveston Daily News in Texas. He has been a wrestling fan for more than 20 years and has written two books on professional wrestling, Terry Funk: More Than Just Hardcore (published in 2005 by Sports Publishing L.L.C.) and The Cowboy and the Cross: The Bill Watts Story.

Anyone read any of these books, and have thoughts on if he's a decent author?
I've not read anything by the author, but this book sounds interesting.First, the title. "The Definitive Story of Murder, Drugs, and Wrestling's Darkest Hour".It seems to me that the book will be very judgmental towards the Benoit situation, and that, I feel, is made very clear in the title. If the book was called "The Story of Murder, Brain Damage and Wrestling's Darkest Hour"...Maybe that would be better...At first, I was very annoyed at the Benoit situation, with the steroids stuff going around, but as it came to light that his brain was damaged, I feel that, although it doesn't justify his actions, it brings some kind of...I don't know. I just don't see it as so much his fault any more. I'm going to get this book, it should be an interesting read. My only other problem with it, aside from the title, is that it won't be an autobiography. Or at least, it doesn't seem so. This looks like it will turn out to simply be about the problems Benoit faced, and the repercussions. How they filled 225+ pages with that...I don't know.Some more information on the author would be nice...reviews and whatnot.

Scott Williams co-wrote the Bill Watts biography 'The Cowboy and the Cross', which is an excellent book. There's at least two other books about Benoit coming out soon, one by Scott Keith, and another by Irvin Muchnick, author of 'Wrestling Babylon', another excellent (albeit disappointingly short) book.

Mushnik's a joke. His constant backtracking on the Orton story showed that. First, he had to admit that saying Orton was called the legend killer after Eddie died was a mistake. Then he comes out and says that while the incident still happened he was a year off. And he coudn't have at least waited until he could get the date straightened out before broadcasting it? Not to mention it's now coming out that no one in WWE, Orton's family, or Orton himself has even heard of this alleged suicide attempt. If he can't even get his facts straight, why would I want to read anything he's wrote?

Edited by Garrett

First, the title. "The Definitive Story of Murder, Drugs, and Wrestling's Darkest Hour".It seems to me that the book will be very judgmental towards the Benoit situation, and that, I feel, is made very clear in the title. If the book was called "The Story of Murder, Brain Damage and Wrestling's Darkest Hour"...Maybe that would be better...

Maybe it should be The Story of Five Star Matches, German Suplexes and Lovely Fluffy Bunnies.

My only other problem with it, aside from the title, is that it won't be an autobiography.

What did you expect? :laugh:
They should publish his diary.Dear Eddie, Nancy just won't shut up about me cutting down on the crippling road life of a wrestler. We'll show her, won't we Eddie.

I agree. I don't get how you can write a book with "the facts", when a lot of the facts havn't even come out yet.Besides even if these books were mildly interesting, these guys are nothing more than leeches desperate to get their names out there by latching on to this, and I refuse to ever put any money in their pockets by buying anything they've wrote.

Edited by Garrett

My only other problem with it, aside from the title, is that it won't be an autobiography.

What did you expect? :laugh:
They should publish his diary.Dear Eddie, Nancy just won't shut up about me cutting down on the crippling road life of a wrestler. We'll show her, won't we Eddie.
I half expect it to emerge that one of his diary entries reads almost exactly like that.

In this weeks f4w Bryan Alvarez says he doesn't reckon the hearings are happening...

This is the most fascinating business in the world. Several months ago I wrote a column for the Fight Network where I basically lamented about how when Benoit first died I thought this was going to be the one that really lead to change in the business, but in the end it looked like it was going to come and go and in the end no one would care all that much and things would return to a smurfed-up normal. Then Congress actually started talking with people and requesting information about WWE, and then it was flat-out stated that hearings were going to likely be taking place in mid-September. I thought, wow, maybe something really is going to happen here. Well, by the time those of you who get the print version of this newsletter receive it, it will be October and there are no hearings on the books. Nothing. It's terribly quiet. And those who have worked closely with the government in Washington DC tell us that everything pretty much shuts down from Thanksgiving to the New Year. If you look at how quickly the world changes, and where pro-wrestling hearings probably rank on the importance scale anyway, the chances of this being picked up in January looks very slim. If nothing happens within the next 30 days or so, there may be little chance of it happening anytime soon. Judging from a lot of different things, my feeling is that WWE was forthright in sending all their policy information and whatever else, they snowed a lot of people with their recent "hard-line suspensions" and rehab offer to all former wrestlers, and maybe in doing investigations Congress came to the conclusion that hearings would largely be a waste of time. Regardless of what might be said, Vince and Hunter appear to be sending their own message to the world that this is all over and it's time to get back into the swing of things again. I guess if this is the end I can't get too depressed about it, because I suppose deep down I never really expected anything to change.