The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

• Paid Members

Going through a huge Nick Cave marathon since last night.

Love me some Nick Cave. My top ten fave Bad Seeds songs :

"Babe I'm On Fire"

"The Ship Song"

"Into My Arms"

"I Had a Dream Joe"

"Your Funeral My Trial"

"The Mercy Seat"

"Henry Lee"

"There She Goes My Beautiful World"

"Red Right Hand"

"Tupelo"

• Paid Members

Tune of the year so far has to be the new

Great description on the Youtube vid as that classic Burial "clanking metal-on-metal garage skip-and-swing" sound Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

I actually prefer 'Loner' off the new Burial EP. Either way, it's the best release of the year by far. it's been a poor start to the year overall musically, no classic album (you could make a case for Alcest but for me it's merely good).

I'm a little out the loop on the house and techno front at the minute though so I daresay once I catch up on that there'll be some gems, I did enjoy the new Todd Terje EP, and I think the John Talabot album will be perfect for the summer when I get to know it a bit more.

I actually prefer 'Loner' off the new Burial EP. Either way, it's the best release of the year by far. it's been a poor start to the year overall musically, no classic album (you could make a case for Alcest but for me it's merely good).

I'm a little out the loop on the house and techno front at the minute though so I daresay once I catch up on that there'll be some gems, I did enjoy the new Todd Terje EP, and I think the John Talabot album will be perfect for the summer when I get to know it a bit more.

Alcest's new album is still a million miles away from Souvenirs', it just doesn't grip you like that did back in 07. I'd say Les Discrets put out the better album again if i'm honest.

is the song of the day though, sweet poppy synths with the most adorable young lady, i'd so marry her.

House is having a massive resurgence at the moment, especially with the casual fashion followers. Which is a shame because I can't fucking stand house.

House is having a massive resurgence at the moment, especially with the casual fashion followers. Which is a shame because I can't fucking stand house.

Yeah, it usually seems to happen following a surge in trance, as a reaction away from all the breakdowns and synths that pepper every chart song to a more groove orientated sound. Well, it did in 2000/2001 anyway following the trance boom of 99.

I love house, I've gained a much greater appreciation for it lately. Mostly deep and progressive house, but also the more commercial and funky side of things, and tribal house is just the perfect music to have on when you're writing or reading late at night, totally dark and minimal and hypnotic. It's up there with bass and future garage as the dance music I'm playing most frequently right now.

What's your favourite type of electronic music at the minute, out of interest?

HNIC 3 dropped a week or so ago and I've jsut been getting around to listen to it properly. There's a great track on there produced by Oh No, but I can't remember what it's called, otherwise I'd post that.

Hmm, been wondering whether to check it out. Mobb Deep made my favourite hip hop album of all time, plus a load of other stuff I dig a ton, yet I'm not sure either Havoc or Prodigy have released anything worth a damn for a few years now. Prodigy's solo album was inconsistent, though I did enjoy some stuff, the song at the end about his sickle cell struggle hit right in the gut which is exactly what you want from his music.

I prefer the new Burial and Four Tet track to any of Burials solo stuff this year:

Burial and Four Tet - Nova

Yeah, great song. Loving this, and I didn't get into their last collaborations either. Top five single of the year thus far.

Alcest's new album is still a million miles away from Souvenirs', it just doesn't grip you like that did back in 07. I'd say Les Discrets put out the better album again if i'm honest.

I've actually not heard any of their earlier stuff as I'm not into my metal at all really. Thats might be why I enjoy Le Voyage more than the more seasoned fan, feels fresher and melodically it's pretty great for such a heavy album.

I prefer the new Burial and Four Tet track to any of Burials solo stuff this year:

Burial and Four Tet - Nova

Me likey. Very chill.

Nice to hear house is coming back into fashion. I find deep house keeps ticking along underground, evolving slowly by absorbing what's going on in techno, dubstep, whatever, but you can still happily mix a track from 2012 with one from 1998.

I've never been into house. To me it's bare, overly repetitive and devoid of any depth. Now obviously been a fan of electronic dance music I can't chastise it purely for being repetitive, it's just a groove that doesn't move me. I could dance for 3 hours to an amen break or something syncopated, but not house.

Currently I'm all over ambient dubstep. As in, it's pretty much all I listen to at home or on the bus when I want to relax. The rolling sub bass, dreamy melodies, ethereal strings, trancey synths, distorted vocals... I just fucking love it.

1:Submerse - Never Again

Just how good is that Submerse tune? It's extacy for my ears. I first discovered the genre when looking for new burial stuff a couple of years ago and coming across Solitudes mixes. I've never looked back.

When I go out clubbing it's generally to bass heavy High BMP dance nights. Breakbeat, Tech-Funk, Drum and Bass. I'm a mainstay at Lowdown & Dirty, winner of best small event at Breakspoll last week. Its the best night out for pounding syncopated beats in the country for me. Favourite producers/DJ's of the scene include Beat Assassins, Stanton Warriors, Elite Force, Steve Thorpe, Freestylers.

This is what i want a night out to look like

407838_333410293368746_133785613331216_1001105_1298051017_n.jpg

Some house IS syncopated though, but not the stuff you generally hear in big clubs, where it's a pretty straight 4/4 to the floor. A lot of syncopation comes from the basslines.

http://soundcloud.com/intelligentaudio/set...ce-ep-ia1-3-may - track 2, Craterful Of Stars

'Scuse the self-promo! The kick is 4/4 but you've got syncopation from the off-hats, the bassline which works in and around the kicks. It's really complex rhythmically. A lot of that comes straight from jazz theory.

That's kind of why I like house - you can build everything around the 4/4 kick, and so a good house mix can be really intricate, weaving the slightly different rhythms in together as you go. The dubstep that I hear that I like, tends to take after deep house more than any other genre.

Again, just my preference. It's the crossover area between house and techno that really interests me.