The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

Whilst I've enjoyed some OutKast in the past, I feel like it really clicked recently after properly listening to all of Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. I always assumed Stankonia was going to be the only album worth listening to and I felt it dragged, though there were some great songs on there. I also feel The Love Below drags though it has some great songs and sounds on there. Most albums I like are 40-50 minutes. I expected Andre 3000's to be the better album and the more adventurous. Whilst it is still adventurous and uses jazz and funk to great effect, he emulates Prince a bit too much for me whereas Big Boi's sound is the more accessible sound, but smashes it with a sound so far ahead of its time that it's still more sophisticated than just about anything you hear in the genre today.

Anyway, I'll pick one song from Speakerboxxx and The Love Below.

Outkast--The Rooster:

Spread - OutKast (HD):

Also loving David Bowie's Station To Station. Very different from some of his more well known albums.

David Bowie - TVC 15:

Features in Bowie Greatest Hits albums, but works much better as part of the theme of the album. TVC-15 makes me feel off my face just listening to it. It's inspired by a trip he had with Iggy Pop where he imagined his girlfriend being sucked into the TV.

Edited by Sphinx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Thought I'd put this here rather than perform necromancy on the Opry thread - released today, a Shooter Jennings cover of the Ramones classic She Talks To Rainbows:

I recall from the aforementioned country music thread there were a few other Shooter fans on the board, and a few others who simply liked what they heard therein, so I'll just mention in case any of them see this that he's coming to the UK next July, for pretty much the first time ever (he did one gig in Scotland years ago) - shows announced in Manchester & York so far, and a slot at the Ramblin' Man Fair in Kent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Less than two weeks ago I was scratching my head over how he'd managed to release 45 albums this year, especially after the 31 he released last year.

Since then, he's added another 5. The guy frightens me, to be quite honest. 50 albums in less than 11 months is just..... :blink:

UPDATE: 4 more albums released. That's 54 albums in 47 weeks. Fuuuuck.

UPDATE: 6 more albums. 60 albums in 52 weeks.

Is any of it any good though? How the hell does he expect anyone to actually digest the material he's releasing?

• Paid Members

It's hit and miss, and there's a lot of variety. Some of it sounds very improvised, like a jam session based around a structure, and some of it is avant garde / experimental stuff. He also likes his bluegrass, which isn't my cup of tea.

For the main part though, yes it's good. He's an absolute monster guitar player, and the melodies and arrangements on some of the albums are too structured and complex to be improvisations.

You've got a point about digesting it though. There's albums that I'm sure that I've listened to or not, and as the tracks are sometimes just called Album Title Part 1, Album Title Part 2, it's easy to lose track of ones that you particularly liked.