Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Moving up a tax bracket wouldn't cause you too earn less. If you get a pay rise, your net pay will go up, regardless of tax brackets (as the increase in tax rate is only applied to earnings over the tax threshold)

I agree with your payslip, so your net pay was £1450? If not what else was on your payslip?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were you I would contact HMRC as I suspect you might be getting deducted twice for the same thing. Other than tax are you getting deducted for DEA separately?

The reason I ask is that your tax code is rather low. 589L means you are not taxed for the first £5890.00 of your income. The standard PAYE tax code at the moment is 1060L so you aren't taxed until you are over the threshold of £10600.

If you are on a reduced tax code it normally means you are paying unpaid tax. I can't really comment any more without seeing your payslip but drop me a pm and I will try and give more detailed advice.

• Paid Members

I'm being deducted for DEA separately, not within my actual tax. However, I've done a little research, is a DEA specifically related to owing the DWP money for things like crisis loans? Because a number of years ago I had a couple of crisis loans and repayments were being taken from my JSA. When I came off JSA, it's now occurred to me that I didn't make any arrangements to pay the outstanding balance. So maybe they've finally caught up with me over that.

It could also be something to do with when I was in receipt of housing benefit - although at that time, it was paid directly to the housing association I was with, how could i have overpaid? And how to you even contact the DWP (who I would assume I would need to contact instead of HMRC if this is the case) about this? I can't find a number that isn't for Jobcentre Plus.

Or can DEA also be used for paying back an underpayment of tax? I've read that it is for benefit overpayment. Does that include taxable benefits? Because that's how I underpaid tax. It's just a bit of a coincidence if the DEA has come on in the same month as them taking my unpaid tax.

• Paid Members

^ It was inevitable.

Anyways, got through to the DWP. The DEA is from them for some money I owe them from the social fund from years ago. They agreed to take £30 via Direct Debit going forward instead of the DEA.

Thanks for the help, guys.

• Paid Members

It's fucking annoying. It was my previous employer who either didn't submit forms in time or incorrectly that led to be being hit with £900 of this. How is that my fault? Go charge Deluxe Media, Mr Tax Man.

• Paid Members

It's fucking annoying. It was my previous employer who either didn't submit forms in time or incorrectly that led to be being hit with £900 of this. How is that my fault? Go charge Deluxe Media, Mr Tax Man.

Maybe Lister can clarify, but mightn't there be a chance you could sue Deluxe Media for the £900 incurred from their incompetence? Sounds like something you could pursue through the small claims court.

• Paid Members

Eh, I don't know if I've got the strength!

Come home today to a second demand letter from Haringey over council tax because my girlfriend forgot to pay it. So that's HMRC, DWP and my local council stressing me out. I barely even understand what the fuck council tax is for if I'm paying income tax. Taxes coming out my ass. I'll pay them, but I find it funny that they threaten to charge me the full six months worth in one go if I don't pay right away. If I was unable to afford the installments, where would I ger 700 odd quid from?!

Eh, I don't know if I've got the strength!

Come home today to a second demand letter from Haringey over council tax because my girlfriend forgot to pay it. So that's HMRC, DWP and my local council stressing me out. I barely even understand what the fuck council tax is for if I'm paying income tax. Taxes coming out my ass. I'll pay them, but I find it funny that they threaten to charge me the full six months worth in one go if I don't pay right away. If I was unable to afford the installments, where would I ger 700 odd quid from?!

They'll sell that shit on in a heartbeat if given the chance so be quick about getting your first payment in.

We were advised (wrongly) to wait until our tax credits had been sorted until we structured a repayment plan with them. Told us to ignore the demand letters and everything. They sold the debt on and refused to acknowledge what they had told us.

• Paid Members

Is there a name for people who build stuff on Minecraft? Do they get called builders, or creators, or are they just players?

I assume you mean build on a grand scale, rather than just build, seeing as that's the point of the game (my enchanted undersea ballroom is boss).

I only really watched Keralis's channel on YouTube, and I didn't see a special name for what he did.

• Awards Moderator

Is there a name for people who build stuff on Minecraft? Do they get called builders, or creators, or are they just players?

I assume you mean build on a grand scale, rather than just build, seeing as that's the point of the game (my enchanted undersea ballroom is boss).

I only really watched Keralis's channel on YouTube, and I didn't see a special name for what he did.

Yeah, the big-scale ones, I just wondered whether there was a special name they called themselves. Is that Enchanted Under the Sea Ballroom a tribute to the high school dance in Back To The Future? 

Archived