Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My missus said that. I go the gym 3-4 times a week. Played Basketball 2-3 times a week up until 2 years ago. Footy weekly and have a fairly physical job. 

Surely they do regular checks? It's madness, 15 years is a hell of a long time.

The Christmas bonus was only £10 as well, I probably would have left it if it wasnt for my wife telling me Id better ring them.

• Paid Members

Stories like that are genuinely concerning aren't they? Firstly, that somebody is able to get away with fraudulently living off benefits in another person's name for nearly 15 years and secondly - and even more shockingly, that anybody can live off benefits for that long at all without their case being checked out. I'd be fascinated to know how it gets resolved, you certainly shouldn't let it drop until you have confirmation that you're well in the clear. It might have just been a simple mistake on the system somewhere with details getting mixed up, but that seems unlikely.

• Paid Members

DWP only check your details once and that is when you're initially applying for the benefit. Could a former boyfriend or girlfriend be doing it? My dad had this about 20 years ago, so it's an age old trick.

ADDED: You've only had one letter from the DWP in 15 years? Christmas bonus has been going for a few years now. We get letters all the time from them. You sure you were actually phoning the DWP? I'm sure I've read of some scam like this. Can't find anything on the Internet about the scam, but I'm sure I've heard about it.

Yes just one letter, although Ive only just moved into my current address (although that doesnt explain why Ive never received letters to old addresses). The woman on the phone was really reluctant to tell me anything. I will ring after the weekend see whats going on. The thought of it being someone in my family has crossed my mind and quite frankly worries me.

The letter is genuine, thought (hoped) it may have been a scam, but checked the numbers/addresses on the letter on gov.uk and they all match.

• Paid Members

I'm actually toying with recreating something in a Geocities style....

So, the Geocities thing was too much to resist. However, it's harder than I thought, as I'm basically doing all the things I avoided doing back in t'day.

Any feedback as I go would be appreciated. For example, this is the first time I've used frames. Do I have a matching background in all of them? Mixed backgrounds? Plain backgrounds in the side and top and leave the fancy stuff for the main frame?

I've also got to sort out the back button on the Mr Moto window.

Scrub all that, as it's changing by the hour. All tips welcome still.

http://www.geocities.ws/surf_digby/index.html

Ok, something strange happened tonight. I've never met or had any contact with my biological father but my mum received a phone call today from the CSA saying that he claims to have overpaid child support money. This is the first time I have ever heard anything from him in any form. (I'm mid 20's so it would have stopped a few years ago.) My mum's never received any of the payments, but was told during the call that he had been paying it for 12 years.

- She's ringing up on Monday morning to find out more.

- Any ideas where the money could have gone? Has somebody else (fraudulently or otherwise) been receiving them?

- I think if it's ended up in a lost account then he should have it back, my mum thinks she should keep it (I can see her logic).

- Anybody have any experience in this sort of thing? I'm clueless.

My biggest worry is that he had paid it for all that time, thinking I was aware of it, and all the while somebody's been wrongly receiving it.

• Paid Members

Anything is possible with the CSA, prepare your Mum for one of the most frustrating phone calls of her life on Monday morning.

The CSA seem to make it up as they go along. They decided that a friend of mine owed them £8k extra, which they take monthly straight from his pay. He can't even fight it. Its awful, a complete shambles.

• Paid Members

On a slightly related subject...

Is there a precedent for someone, I guess, suing a parent who wasn't around to provide for you because they were, I don't know, in jail for thefts, manslaughter and then developed a crack habit but are now, apparently, "doing very well financially"?

Asking for a friend.

• Awards Moderator

I'm getting sick of the problems I've been having for the last month with BT email, they finally phoned the right number to talk to me yesterday (after a month of attempts to get in contact) and didn't tell me anything I hadn't already tried. So I'm thinking of setting up another email address. 

My first question is, what's the best thing to use? Gmail?

My second question is, is it possible/a pain in the arse to be able to redirect all the mail from my BT address to a new one?

Archived