Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much does buying a house cost? Aside from the actual cost of the deposit/mortgage/interest, I mean. The part where you have to send surveyors round and whatnot, what does that stuff cost, or is that all on the seller's end?

If I'm buying a little house for £60k, then how much do we need to have on top of the £6k deposit and £500 or so that the bank charge to set up the mortgage?

What are of the world is that? 60k is fantastic.

EDIT: How did I manage to completely miss type that."where in the world" is what I wanted to say

Cheers folks. Adding all/some of the fees to the mortgage is fairly negligible when it comes to something you're paying back over 25 years anyway isn't it? ZebraKidMark, it's most likely going to be in a shitty, crime-riddled part of Liverpool. There are suspiciously cheap houses. Very early stages yet, though.

Has anybody ever had to use their holiday insurance to get some of their flight money back? I have a trip booked to New York in January but due to my Mother's health taking a turn for the worse it doesn't look like I'll be going. The insurer won't accept this reason as technically there is nothing stopping me physically, so I'll have to get creative on my own personal health grounds. Any suggestions / experiences? 

I did check Chest, sadly they don't cover it and I simply can't leave the country at the moment as sadly it doesn't look like she has much time left. At the same token I'm not in a position to just lose out on the money. I'm thinking of going to the doctors and saying I have food poisoning... 

Cheers folks. Adding all/some of the fees to the mortgage is fairly negligible when it comes to something you're paying back over 25 years anyway isn't it? ZebraKidMark, it's most likely going to be in a shitty, crime-riddled part of Liverpool. There are suspiciously cheap houses. Very early stages yet, though.

Hope it works out for you. That area might be gentrified and you might strike it lucky in a few years. Also thanks for understanding my question. I don't understand how I could have worded it so wrong! 

So I got a letter this morning from the Dept. for Work and Pensions regarding Disability Living Allowance and that my Christmas bonus will be paid into my account by 05/12. The letter had my correct full name and National Insurance Number. I dont and have never claimed disability.

Rang them up asking what was going on and apparently Ive been claiming since 2000! They asked me for a sortcode and told me that didnt match the account the money was paid into (no other bank details were given so its not a scam) and the lady on the phone seemed surprised when I told her that today was the first time I ever received a letter.I was told the account was suspended and to be taken up by someone and Id be contacted shortly.

I havent stopped thinking about it all day, really worried (dont know why, havent done anything wrong) but I got a sense the woman on the phone didnt believe when I said Ive never received a penny in benefits ever and that I dont have a second bank account.

It is likely someone is claiming in my name? Surely they do regular checks dont they?

Is there anything for me to worry about?

• Paid Members

It does sound like someone's claiming in your name. They've probably scammed your NI number from somewhere.

In theory, you should be fine, but having had the odd incident with DWP over the years, I'd say stay on top of it and keep chasing them for updates.

I'd suggest popping into your local police station and asking for their advice about identity fraud too, just in case it does turn out that that's what it is.

Archived