WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Paid Members
I'm going to buy a PS3, are there any particularly great games I should look out for? I'm not after anything overly complicated or conveluted, in the past I've tended to get platformers, racing games and beat-em-ups. I'll be grabbing Little Big Planet 2, Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 and the AAA game when they're released. Is there a Theme Park game for it yet, I haven't been able to find one so far?

For your platforming needs, go for Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It's the better of the 3 on the PS3, so if you were to pick just one, get that. Katamari Forever is pretty amazing too. 3D Dot Game Heroes is pretty good if you're into the old Zelda games from the NES and SNES. Modnation Racers sorts your kart games out, and there's a ton of downloadable PS1 games on there including MGS, Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3, and Theme Park and Theme Hospital.

Cheers - are the downloadable games on the online network thing?

Yeah, the Playstation Store.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

In fairness, Super Wrestlemania was a year before Royal Rumble on the SNES. Royal Rumble is the sort of spiritual successor to Super Wrestlemania from the same developers.

The Megadrive equivalent of Royal Rumble on the SNES was Royal Rumble on the Mega Drive, and it compares pretty well to the SNES game. In fact, between the two I think it mainly boils down to which roster you prefer. The Mega Drive version loses Perfect, Flair, Tatanka, Dibiase and Yoko, replacing them with Hogan, Rick Martel, IRS, Jim Duggan and Papa Shango.

I'd probably take the SNES one for Perfect, though as you say, he's a bit ruined when you can't pin people with the Perfect Plex and then Dibiase and Flair can't make people tap with their finishers. Yokozuna is a bit wrong because the generic character model that everyone seems to be based off can't be made fat enough without breaking the game. As a result, it looks nothing like Yoko at all. On the flipside, Duggan is shit and IRS and Shango lack a bit of star power. Both have fun finishers though, which is pretty key when everyone has the same moveset outside of that. Back in the day we just used to victimise Rick Martel for dressing all in pink and being a dick. Nowadays I usually pick him.

Edited by JLM

From this, I have discovered that Super Wrestlemania on the Megadrive is shit. It looks almost identical to Royal Rumble on the SNES, but runs at half the speed and is horrifically unresponsive. Even on the easy setting I was getting trounced in every match. If I put the Auto-turbo switch on on my Competition Pro 6 button keypad (that's right, bitches), then you just get an infinite lock up. It it seemingly impossible to out tap the computer.

Just hover the cursor over Shawn Michaels on the character select screen and put down the controller. Let the best videogame version of any entrance theme ever entertain you by itself.

Now, for the explicit purpose of making ajmcstyles's blood boil:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - better than perfect?

Not just the game of the year, or even of its console generation - could Super Mario Galaxy 2 be the best video game ever made? GameCentral gives its verdict on Nintendo's latest masterpiece.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/829948-games-r...er-than-perfect

• Paid Members
From this, I have discovered that Super Wrestlemania on the Megadrive is shit. It looks almost identical to Royal Rumble on the SNES, but runs at half the speed and is horrifically unresponsive. Even on the easy setting I was getting trounced in every match. If I put the Auto-turbo switch on on my Competition Pro 6 button keypad (that's right, bitches), then you just get an infinite lock up. It it seemingly impossible to out tap the computer.

Just hover the cursor over Shawn Michaels on the character select screen and put down the controller. Let the best videogame version of any entrance theme ever entertain you by itself

I had a tag match on Royal Rumble (SNES) earlier, and was quite taken with DiBiase's theme.

I also discovered that if you completely wear someone out, they go down on one punch. This means it's nigh impossible to stun them and perform a finisher from behind (eg: Shawn's back suplex).

Surf are you playing the right game???

Super Wrestlemania on the MD is a pile of wee

EDIT: having now played it and completed it in about 8 mins this is what is needed

Kick or punch, three times... Knock down, footstomp until they get up and then A and C Special Move where applicable/ kick or punch and repeat

Pin

Game over! Works on any difficulty level

Will play it later

Royal Rumble is fecking ace I wont have a bad word said about it ever!

WWF Rage in the Cage on the Sega Mega CD is also worth checking out

Edited by patdfb

With the housemate away, I connected the old Sega Master System and Megadrive, and SNES up to the big TV and raided eBay for some 99p catridge goodness.

Royal Rumble on the SNES is so much better, but I got annoyed because a) even after applying a Sharpshooter to a destroyed Crush, you still have to pin him to win, and b) the Perfect Plex isn't recognised as a pin.

Super Wrestlemania is a huge bucket of shit, Only Mega Drive wrestling game to feature the Ultimate Warrior though.

In fairness, Super Wrestlemania was a year before Royal Rumble on the SNES. Royal Rumble is the sort of spiritual successor to Super Wrestlemania from the same developers.

The Megadrive equivalent of Royal Rumble on the SNES was Royal Rumble on the Mega Drive, and it compares pretty well to the SNES game. In fact, between the two I think it mainly boils down to which roster you prefer. The Mega Drive version loses Perfect, Flair, Tatanka, Dibiase and Yoko, replacing them with Hogan, Rick Martel, IRS, Jim Duggan and Papa Shango.

I'd probably take the SNES one for Perfect, though as you say, he's a bit ruined when you can't pin people with the Perfect Plex and then Dibiase and Flair can't make people tap with their finishers. Yokozuna is a bit wrong because the generic character model that everyone seems to be based off can't be made fat enough without breaking the game. As a result, it looks nothing like Yoko at all. On the flipside, Duggan is shit and IRS and Shango lack a bit of star power. Both have fun finishers though, which is pretty key when everyone has the same moveset outside of that. Back in the day we just used to victimise Rick Martel for dressing all in pink and being a dick. Nowadays I usually pick him.

Martel and Luger (as the Narcissist) were Me and my Brother's favourite punching bags.

On a side note WWF RAW is a vastly superior update to Royal Rumble, and features submissions, ref's that abandon the match if you abuse them too much, and a Texas Tornado mode (called bedlam).

I also discovered that if you completely wear someone out, they go down on one punch. This means it's nigh impossible to stun them and perform a finisher from behind (eg: Shawn's back suplex).

Atomic Drop, or KO the ref and choke 'em.

Edited by MRMIdAS

Super Wrestlemania is a huge bucket of shit, Only Mega Drive wrestling game to feature the Ultimate Warrior though.

On a side note WWF RAW is a vastly superior update to Royal Rumble, and features submissions, ref's that abandon the match if you abuse them too much, and a Texas Tornado mode (called bedlam).

Snes yes but did have LOD and Natural Disasters!

Megadrive is showing its age, its 18 years old nearly!!! It was a rush job if memory serves to get a wrestling game out on the Megadrive ASAP to corner the market and it shows!

I never did get on with RAW mainly because of the secret supers/ mega moves that every wrestler had

I never did get on with RAW mainly because of the secret supers/ mega moves that every wrestler had

Most of the super moves are pretty avoidable, save for Owen Hart's, and don't seem to come out often enough to be a major problem.

At one point I could beat a Raw Endurance match on the hardest difficulty with just Undertaker.

Edited by MRMIdAS

Now, for the explicit purpose of making ajmcstyles's blood boil:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - better than perfect?

Not just the game of the year, or even of its console generation - could Super Mario Galaxy 2 be the best video game ever made? GameCentral gives its verdict on Nintendo's latest masterpiece.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/829948-games-r...er-than-perfect

Cheers for that.

Going through Galaxy 1 its nice just the same as number 2 just more basic. It would be perfect if we could use a REAL controller rather than the remote/nun chuck, but then these people say COD6 is amazing when its nothing more than your average first person shooter no worse no better.

Im currently going through MGS 4 too for the FIRST time, as ive played the other 3 in the series, its different still trying to get to grips with it.

AND WTF Earthworm JIM on XBLA where did that appear from? The Graphics on that are amazing, im not overally fussed about graphics vs gameplay but its brilliant. Tempted to splash out 800 points for it.

Sorry for being harsh on the gaming world, but when a game gets a "perfect" rating but when actually playing it, its "average" or has bugs or faults which if fixed would VASTLY improve the game.

The "best game of all time" which is apparently the Legend Of Zelda - Ocarina of Time on the N64/Gamecube/Rom. Do you agree?

• Paid Members

I wish you could use the report button for people who just annoy the shit out of you. I hope he does buy Earthworm Jim because that game is solid, and when he gets stuck on the second level because he's wank at it, and then comes on here and slags it off, i'll get some pathetically small amount of satisfaction knowing he wasted 800 points on it.

Also, to answer your question, Ocarina of Time isn't the best game ever. Mario Galaxy 2 is, havn't you read the reviews? BEST GAME EVARZ.

• Paid Members

10/10 doesn't mean a game is perfect, it means that the reviewer feels it necessary to give it the highest accolade he can give out because a 9/10 doesn't do it justice. Five star films aren't said to be perfect either. I don't think I've ever seen anything get full marks and think "ah, that means there are literally no conceivable faults with it whatsoever".

What's wrong with the remote/nunchuk combo for Galaxy by the way? If you hold them relatively close together it really doesn't feel that different from playing it on an N64 pad, which I would say is the best possible set up for a 3D platformer. The analogue sticks on the classic controller are horribly placed for your proposed scheme where you'd control Mario with the left and your pointer with the right. That would be fiddly as all hell and I'd hate it. Gamecube pad support would have been acceptable I guess (though moving the pointer with the C-stick would be utter balls), but you're literally the only person I've ever heard argue that having to use the remote/nunchuk for this particular game is a massive strike against it.